2015 predicted reliability - CR brand ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
a9ulkzmvhy6aaailjkby.png

I suppose if someone actually puts much stock in the Consumer Reports rankings, then that may be good information. Personally I think most of their ratings and predictions are about as accurate as long range weather forecasting.

seems kinda generalized..
I mean is a dash rattle as important as a transmission that doesn't shift right.

That being said Subaru was number 7 and my model was the most reliable...so win for me? kinda?

How is the BRZ so bad and the FRS so good?
I still think ranking manufacturer quality is useless for the regular car buyer. You are only buying one model, so who cares what the average overall quality is for a manufacturer.

Right how is Buick doing well and the rest of GM not so much? Same drivetrains, brakes, programming.

I never understood that.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Both seem to be on the lower end of the range for each manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I suppose if someone actually puts much stock in the Consumer Reports rankings, then that may be good information. Personally I think most of their ratings and predictions are about as accurate as long range weather forecasting.

+1

The problem is that the survey consists of self reporting owners who are CR subscribers- that is not even remotely close to a representative cross section of owners of any of the vehicles on the list

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Both seem to be on the lower end of the range for each manufacturer.

Yeah but the point being, if BRZ is the bottom end of the subaru range on the chart, FRS has to fall significantly farther to the right on the chart because the toyota bar doesn't go nearly as far down. Same production line, same everything. Except badges. Makes no sense. That said, my 2013 Dodge has had way more problems, including 5 collapsed lifters and HVAC problems before 73k miles, than my wife's Mazda, which has 72k miles and nothing but brake pads.

It is a opinion survey, not a quality ranking.

Not random.

Makes good parakeet lining.

There isn't any other predicted reliability for 2015 vehicles better than CR.

You guys may not like CR for what-ever-reason but general public rely on CR for quality/reliability for their purchasing decisions.

CR may not be correct all the times, but their testing method is hard to fault especially they are buying all the things they test, most others accept manufacture's products for testing, and advertising.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

What about JD Power?

Quote:
CR may not be correct all the times, but their testing method is hard to fault especially they are buying all the things they test, most others accept manufacture's products for testing, and advertising.

But they are not doing any testing here. They are just tabulating survey results. What's in question is the sample - whether it accurately represents the general population.

I still think ranking manufacturer quality is useless for the regular car buyer. You are only buying one model, so who cares what the average overall quality is for a manufacturer.

They are both bad, BRZ looks to be 60% worse than average while the FRS is 40% worse than average.

For some reason, CR likes to pretend the Forester XT doesn't even exist. They don't even mention a 2.0l turbo as being an option for the Forester in their summary for the car.
That said, my wife subscribes and we use the mag constantly. I would never have realized that the RAV4 had a V6 option when I saw shopping around 2006 without CR, that led to me buying one because my wife's Avalon with the same engine would get up and go the way I liked.

What about JD Power?

Many don't trust JD Power because they sell/profit from their studies.
Most consumers know and trust CR, most don't even know what is JD Power and/or what they do.

But they are not doing any testing here. They are just tabulating survey results. What's in question is the sample - whether it accurately represents the general population.

They didn't test this "Predict Reliability", they use previous few years survey results to predict the future.

The survey sample is large enough to be able to say it represents the general population. I think CR previous sample sizes were much larger than JD Power. IIRC JD Power sample size for new car troublesome/reliability for some years were few thousands while CR yearly vehicle study was several hundreds thousands.

When I saw CR ding a manufacturers model reliability over the complexity of an infotainment system and rough shifting transmission, I wrote them off. A particular model can have red dots across the board (owners survey), but then given a low predicted reliability based on the reviewers vibe. I'm not fond of JD Power either. The best predictors of reliability are auto mechanics.

What about JD Power?

Many don't trust JD Power because they sell/profit from their studies.
Most consumers know and trust CR, most don't even know what is JD Power and/or what they do.

They didn't test this "Predict Reliability", they use previous few years survey results to predict the future.

The survey sample is large enough to be able to say it represents the general population. I think CR previous sample sizes were much larger than JD Power. IIRC JD Power sample size for new car troublesome/reliability for some years were few thousands while CR yearly vehicle study was several hundreds thousands.

How do you know that? They do not release the raw data or sample sizes for each car, just general "overall" numbers.

That and their surveys only survey people that pay for CR, so their sample pool is not open or meets basic scientific survey guidelines.

JD power and CR reports are very flawed and without releasing the raw data they interrupt it as they see fit.

CR's survey may not be perfect, but most consumers trust them and they were/are correct most of the times about their predict reliability.

Case in point: Toyota Camry was 1 of the most reliable family sedan in USA and it was/is best selling sedan in America for many many years, mainly because of CR's yearly car buying guide almost always rated them as dependable vehicle.

Other than reliability Camry isn't better than other sedans in its class in term of driving dynamic and fuel economy or ..., why it was/is best selling ?

No, I didn't buy my cars based on CR report. But I know many who did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back