F150....replacing OEM headlights/turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afixin' to put a little money in the F150 to spruce it up some. Intake grill and bottom air dam is faded, so I'm going to paint them black and match the rest of the truck. Thinking about changing out the headlight assembly to a clear lens, current ones are super hazy, with a black back ground. However, after reading some of the comments, seems like that may not be a good idea. Most of the stuff out there now uses LED's, and doesn't seem pretty favorable from a bunch of ya'll and there have been some problems. Are they that bad? Is there a lot, or any, splicing I'd have to do the factory setup? I just want to use the existing harness and not destroy it. Removing the headlights and turn signal is pretty easy, but alignments seem to be a pain. Anybody got any experience with F150's doing this?

My '11 is a BREEZE to aim, but earlier Fords weren't. My '96 Mustang for example, SUCKS to aim and was worth spending $15 for the special ratchet. I can't speak for the '01 trucks, though.

Are you talking about replacing the whole headlight housing? If so only buy oem and make sure they're genuine. All the aftermarket replacements are junk and you'll find out in short order that it's true if you try to go that route.

There are many ways to get oem housings, such as the dealer, I just ordered some on Amazon, they are pricey but you get what you pay for here.

If you're replacing bulbs stick halogen oem style, almost all the leds are junk too except for one model from Sylvania

Schmoe we just did this with the headlights of the 2000 Town Car and the low cost after market option worked out well.

When we got the son's 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 last year we got an new set of headlight assemblies loaded with new bulbs for only $75 and a new chrome grill for $75 but did pay $40 for the new Dodge logo. We took a $5700 truck and make the nose look new for $190. The smoked OEM headlights make it look [censored] for sure.

The after market car parks have worked fine for us in most cases a lower price than used OEM parts.

The aftermarket housings will not last like oem. The beam performance is inferior and quality is a lot cheaper. Thinner gauge wires, leaky seals, inferior UV coating. I wouldn't recommend any aftermarket housings.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The aftermarket housings will not last like oem. The beam performance is inferior and quality is a lot cheaper. Thinner gauge wires, leaky seals, inferior UV coating. I wouldn't recommend any aftermarket housings.
+1 I just learned the hard way on my 2002 4x4 Ranger, The aftermarket housings are junk.

I would say the cleanest upgrade for your 01 is to put in STX/Lightning style clear headlights and turn signals. A set of them should run around $80. Then just use the original bulbs.

Anything else is just going to look chintzy and boyish.

That's what I was looking at...converting to the SVT lightning style...found one with smoked lens...would really improve the look of my all black F150. But...thinking if I took the existing lens off and buffed the heck out of it too. I just don't want to have to cut/splice wires. That SVT lights were a drop in OEM replacement.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
That's what I was looking at...converting to the SVT lightning style...found one with smoked lens...would really improve the look of my all black F150. But...thinking if I took the existing lens off and buffed the heck out of it too. I just don't want to have to cut/splice wires. That SVT lights were a drop in OEM replacement.

If you can get an actual set of the OE SVT lights that would be a good choice

$325 for each side if you want it.

SVT housing Right side

SVT Housing left side

I went to that site earlier....ye-ouch that's expensive. May just keep my old ones and buff the be&esus out of them.

Yes I know it's expensive which is unfortunate.

You can easily sand the haze off but you'll lose all of the remaining UV coating and will rehaze extremely rapidly, usually within weeks.

Look on ebay. I found knock-offs of the lightning headlights and sidemarkers for like $80. As long as they aren't projectors or some such wankery, and just copies of the factory lights, I don't see what the problem is.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Look on ebay. I found knock-offs of the lightning headlights and sidemarkers for like $80. As long as they aren't projectors or some such wankery, and just copies of the factory lights, I don't see what the problem is.

Go ahead buy any brand you want TYC, Dorman, or any of the other various manufacturers and report back.

If you're satisfied with headlight shaped toys to pass inspection they will work, but I prefer my headlights to actually light the road at night.

I have Depo's in my CVPI and they light the road fine.
Well as fine as Crown vic lights can do anyways. They are known to be pretty terrible, even brand new OE housings.
I couldn't tell the difference between them and the OE housings my '04 had.

ok, memphis, i know you think you have to make your point, and you have. all non oem lights are junk. Check, can we move on now?

OP, I replaced the totally cataract covered OE housing on my neon a couple years back(had no luck with any of the restoration kits), bought a set of "Eagle Eyes" branded units off amazon, and after having them aimed at the dealer,(don't trust myself to do it) they worked every bit as well as the OE units.

as others have said, if you sand/polish them back to clear, you need to reapply some sort of UV block coating to keep them from hazing again.

I've had good luck with protective films, and would recommend them whichever route you go. the ones I've used were "Lightgard" Branded from www.Clearmask.com
The film not only has UV inhibitors built in, but it stops the lenses from being "sand blasted" by particulates in the air. and offers protection from cracks and stonechips.
(I am in no way being paid by them, this is my own opinion, however biased it might seem.)

"Lightgard is a virtually optically clear film from 3M's Aerospace division. This film has been tested at 500 mph, simulating the flying speeds of modern jet aircraft. It has also been tested at temperatures down to -30 centigrade with no damage to the film or adhesive. Used on wing tip lights, landing gear lights and radar nose-cones of jet aircraft, ClearMask Lightgard film is clearly a better option than stiff, hard to apply, hand laminated alternatives."

I put their films on the New lenses for the neon before i installed them in the car, and when i bought my Sable, one of the first things i did was order a set for it.

for your truck the 8mil thick set is $27, the 14mil set $40.80
either is worth the money in my opinion... but i am a bit biased as a satisfied customer...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

FWIW, I once purchased aftermarket housings for a Dodge Neon, and the beam spread and fitment was very good. As good as OEM in the long run? I have no idea. But they performed as good as OEM as far as I could tell.

Fitment usually isn't the issue, but I have seen burnt sockets, melted wires, water leaking into the housings, poor high/low beam relationship and rapid degradation of the outer lense probably due to bad UV coating.

And if you buy one of the complete housings with bulbs included the bulbs will be of such a poor quality they will be the first cause of the socket melting

I went with Lightning headlight housings and OE style bulbs on my 97 and called it a day. I think it improves the looks. Best of all, if you damage one light, you can buy for one side instead of having to potentially buy a whole new set. Light dispersion and visibility is great and no one ever flashes their brights at me.

The ones in my CVPI have been in for almost 3 years now. Always parked outside. We don't get tons of rain over here on this side of the mountains like Seattle, either. They've had plenty of sun exposure and...
They are probably a little faded? Im sure if I stuck brand new housings next to them I would notice a difference, but as they set, they look fresh.
FWIW, my lights came with Sylvania 3457As and one each Sylvania and GE 9007s. Standard, standard bulbs, so I never used them, but, reasonable and not anything out of the ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back