Tune up today. 04 Dodge Neon 2.0L SOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pro tip for neon timing belts: loosen the radiator so it shifts up and down with the engine while you're lifting it up and down for that stupid "home plate" engine mount plate.

I had one with a stick shift and it was perfectly fun and spunky to drive.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Pro tip for neon timing belts: loosen the radiator so it shifts up and down with the engine while you're lifting it up and down for that stupid "home plate" engine mount plate.

Boy that thing is a hateful chunk of metal!

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The cam position sensor seemed easy to change.

Changing the timing belt, not so much. Have to go up and down and forwards and backwards with the engine 5000000000000 times

I'm not sure there is an easy transverse 4 cyl timing belt out there lol

I don't know if it's just my car or a 03+ thing or what, but my hard coolant tubes run right in front of the cam position sensor and on a 03+ they are 50,000 mile maintenance items.

There was a bracket that unbolted and moved the lines out of the way. But that was a 2002. There probably were a few mid year changes.

Also, since the head gasket is also a 50,000 mile maintenance item, the cam sensor can be changed with the head off.

note - did not follow that path and changed the cam sensor 1500 miles after head gasket.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Boy that thing is a hateful chunk of metal!

Uh ... It's actually supposed to bolt down?

It's not secured that well in my friend's 2002. Guess that is what you get with a $300 craigslist car hahaha.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I know you, you were on 2GN weren't you? Under the same user name.

Indeed it is. I had thought your username looked familiar as well but couldn't remember where.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Also, since the head gasket is also a 50,000 mile maintenance item, the cam sensor can be changed with the head off.

Neons haven't had head gasket problems since they switch to the MLS gasket.

110000 miles on my OEM head gasket now.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Oh and after yelling at the spark plug metal sleeves in the engine, and having worked on the 2.0L SOHC before on all 3 makers neons (dodge plymouth and chryslers)

I have come to a conclusion.

These engines were a great idea, poorly executed.

I now rate Neons above pretty much any Saturn L series and any AM General HMMWV as being th

I didnt know Chrysler had a Neon. I was aware of the other two. What differences sre there? I take it this is the newest Neon and is heavy. I remember the late 90s Neon as being light as a feather with 150hp- couple with a 5spd and it could be fun. I think some had 3spd autos though.

Chrysler is a good car for those who dont mind the quirks, additional maintenance, and 'thinking outside the box'.......is Dodge still different?

Outside the US there was a Chrysler Neon. They also had smaller engines available in Europe and other such places.

Can't imagine it was a popular choice in places where you could get some pretty sweet hot hatchbacks.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

I didnt know Chrysler had a Neon. I was aware of the other two. What differences sre there? I take it this is the newest Neon and is heavy. I remember the late 90s Neon as being light as a feather with 150hp- couple with a 5spd and it could be fun. I think some had 3spd autos though.

Chrysler is a good car for those who dont mind the quirks, additional maintenance, and 'thinking outside the box'.......is Dodge still different?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Donald
After all that its still a Neon right?

lol.gif

To the OP, why not change the fuel filter while your at it?

The OP would tell you: Because it doesn't have one.
laugh.gif

Very strange some of the replies in this thread, the neon hard to work on? Gotta be kidding, this is one of the easiest cars to work on that I have seen.

This neon was bought used from an Ex.
She thrashed it around on the Autobahn while in Germany (Military)
Never Maintained it, just took it to whoever over there.

there are literally places where it looks like they used a Sawzaw and did some tinkering, there are places where it says VW and a few funky looking metric bolts.

maybe its just what they've done to it, idk.

Chrysler has a neon, we found one deployed, repaired it (Minus a few holes here and there) the side of the car had some plumber from mexicos name on it (ha)

This is in my top 10, not the worse thing ive worked on (Parents once had a Mercury Tracer, which was a Mercury, based on a Ford, Based on a Mazda, that thing was the biggest doozie.

They may have briefly had Chrysler neons stateside when Plymouth went Tango Uniform. I know they had Chrysler Voyagers for a minute. Has to do with some dealer contracts or something-- remember, they were Chrysler-Plymouth dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back