Lucas SYNTHETIC oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: old1
When I want to thicken my oil, I use STP as it is much cheaper than Lucas, and actually has some zddp. Of course I only use it in antique or beaters.

If there is any real use for STP or Lucas it is for smokers and beaters.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

The Synthetic Oil Stabilizer is much less viscous, with a viscosity of 45 at 100C. It seems to be based on a heavy Group III oil, but the MSDS doesn't say what else is in it. Probably more viscosity improver, although a tech support guy at Lucas said there's some group IV in it.

Rand, can you tell us what's "terrible" about Lucas Gear Oil?

Lucas products are generally under treated in terms of additives.

BTW, where does one find a 40 or 100 cSt GroupIII?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: old1
When I want to thicken my oil, I use STP as it is much cheaper than Lucas, and actually has some zddp. Of course I only use it in antique or beaters.

One would be better off running mercury 25/40 marine oil in a smoker than using lucas. At least the additives are there.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

And when I did have a smoking beater, the last thing I wanted to do was pour more expensive stuff into the crankcase that would blow out the exhaust.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Shannow

When you could buy a 15W40 for less than a 5W30 with Lucas, or a 20W50 for less than a 40 with Lucas.

People who run Lucas have hurt or worn engines. Off the shelf oil weights aren't gonna cut it. That 60 and 70 weight oil is very hard to find and very expensive.

Running a robustly additized oil and thickening with this stuff is actually excellent strategy.

Almost 243,000miles on my '92 4.0 Cherokee.
I say I would like to have a full rebuild one day when I really have problems, but when I had my rear main (2-piece seal..thank goodness) my friends who had the lift said my lower half of the engine looked great. That could be because I take care of my ride or I use a set routine on oil changes. 5qts 10w30max life and a bottle of Lucas along with the good ole oversized oil filter the 51515 wix. Or the 1515 napa gold.

Worn engine or goes with what works. I WOULD NOT put 15w40 or 20w50 in this engine.

Lucas does help in not having as bad of dry starts. I regret that I have not used their synthetic stuff, but I will next time at next OCI. Always 3-4000oci's

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Shannow

When you could buy a 15W40 for less than a 5W30 with Lucas, or a 20W50 for less than a 40 with Lucas.

People who run Lucas have hurt or worn engines. Off the shelf oil weights aren't gonna cut it. That 60 and 70 weight oil is very hard to find and very expensive.

Running a robustly additized oil and thickening with this stuff is actually excellent strategy.

Almost 243,000miles on my '92 4.0 Cherokee.
I say I would like to have a full rebuild one day when I really have problems, but when I had my rear main (2-piece seal..thank goodness) my friends who had the lift said my lower half of the engine looked great. That could be because I take care of my ride or I use a set routine on oil changes. 5qts 10w30max life and a bottle of Lucas along with the good ole oversized oil filter the 51515 wix. Or the 1515 napa gold.

Worn engine or goes with what works. I WOULD NOT put 15w40 or 20w50 in this engine.

Lucas does help in not having as bad of dry starts. I regret that I have not used their synthetic stuff, but I will next time at next OCI. Always 3-4000oci's

By adding the Lucas to your 10w30 you've pretty much made a home brew 15w40 with less overall protection than a HDEO 15w40, the fact that your engine lasted this long is a testament to the engine and not abusing the interval rather than your actual oil choice.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Like the guy at Autozone I saw grabbing two bottles of Lucas to go with his 10w40 high mileage into a 5w20 Toyota engine.

Clearly the gentleman just wanted the "MAXIMUM PROTECTION" available for his engine. Why take a chance with thin oils?

Indeed he must have had a very quiet engine with that mixture lugging his engine

Go to an auto parts store and just try to dissuade someone from using LOS. If the store is crowded, there are high odds you will be the laughing stock of the parts store. It happened to me............Twice.

The company got wealthy from following P.T. Barnum's advice, not from inventing a lot of useful stuff. And, unfortunately, a whack of people fall for it. Ask them the difference between GC 0w-30 and M1 AFE 0w-30, and see how smart they are.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
Like the guy at Autozone I saw grabbing two bottles of Lucas to go with his 10w40 high mileage into a 5w20 Toyota engine.

Clearly the gentleman just wanted the "MAXIMUM PROTECTION" available for his engine. Why take a chance with thin oils?

Indeed he must have had a very quiet engine with that mixture lugging his engine
Did you hang around to see him put it in the Toyota?

Originally Posted By: Garak
The company got wealthy from following P.T. Barnum's advice, not from inventing a lot of useful stuff. And, unfortunately, a whack of people fall for it.

Yes, but, I AM quite grateful for it's owner's creation of the MAV TV network, as that is the ONLY way to see some of the motorsports that are NEVER EVER reported on here in the states (WRC, SuperCar V8s, etc.).
wink.gif
smile.gif

Well, that would be interesting; I don't see it up here. Streaming is, however, passing much of these networks by. Speed shot itself in the foot some years ago, but when the paramedics came, instead of treating it, decided to watch it bleed to death on its own floor.

I run there motorcycle oil additive in the transmission and primary in my Harley Davidson Road King and it shifts very very smooth.Clutch works great.I use a half bottle in each.When you drain the transmission oil it's kinds like a film of snot.It really coats everything well.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Lucas is a quality oil stabilizer use it to extend your engine life and OCI

How? How does a 100 weight oil with no additives "stabilize" a modern oil? Can you explain? Why not just dump a quart of gear oil in instead?

Originally Posted By: Idahokid
I run there motorcycle oil additive in the transmission and primary in my Harley Davidson Road King and it shifts very very smooth.Clutch works great.I use a half bottle in each.When you drain the transmission oil it's kinds like a film of snot.It really coats everything well.

I know that Harleys need lots of TLC like a lot of the old guys that seem to ride them, but I didn't realize they required a snot coating on the gears.

If I was to want a thicker oil I would run thicker oil. Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver does that all in 300ml can but has actual additives to improve TBN as Lucas doesnt. Its like an ex wife,gives nothing and takes away much. If you still want to use this empty elixir pour some into a empty can of Liquimoly Mos2 or Ceretec at roughly a 1/3rd qt and fill rest with quality oil. If I needed Lucas I would save some coin and get pennzoil or Quaker State 30wt and at least add some additives to the mix and get some type of return of moly or boron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back