91 Civic Si possible blown head gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 Honda Civic Si, 1.6L 506,390 miles (Same original enigne).

Was previously having issues with blue smoke exiting thru the tail pipe, especially after idling for too long or reversing to park.

Was to replace the valve stem seals as possible culprit.

Store my Civic on the driveway back in October 2015 and it remained parked with an occasional start once every 3 weeks.

Decided to make the car my daily driver again and started driving the car on Tuesday of this week.

Car started fine and did not noticed anything weird other than a slight knock.

Car drove fine and started fine up, occasional blue smoke out of the tail pipe when idling for too long continued.

Friday noticed the car started but then immediately turned off.

After 3 tries if finally stayed on, drove off and drove normal.

Drove home from work on the Freeway and after 10 minutes of freeway driving the check Engine light came on. Didn't think much of it because I have dealt with check Engine light coming on and off for years.
Always trouble shooted the check Engine light and always turned out OK.

One thing different that would eventually probably bite me in the rear was a disconnected wire at Engine (controls the temp gauge). So yes, temp gauge has not been working for at least a year.

So the check engine light stayed on and after 10 or so miles a lady in a volvo began to honk at me.
I turned to look at her to see if i recognized maybe a coworker or friend but she began to point her finger at my car.

I drove just enough to get me off the closest off ramp.

It was then that the car turned off while exiting the freeway.

I tried to start the car while it was moving because stopping the car suing the brakes was kind of hard.

Not wanting to get stuck on the off ramp with traffic behind me I coasted as safely as possible but then had to come to a hard stop at a off ramp stop.

Car would not start so I exited the car and ran to the side walk.
From a distance I noticed a burnt smell and smoke maybe steam coming from under the drivers wheel well and the hood.

Got the car towed home.

Observation this morning.

No coolant in radiator
Oil is at mid level on dip stick. Appears normal color

Coolant reservoir has liquid that is black and brown in color.

Added water to radiator and started the car with no problems.

Drove car up and down the street with no problems.

Check engine light gone.

Oh boy, is this a blown head gasket?

Wow! 500K on engine? And the car is old enough to vote!

MAYBE it's just a coolant leak. Oil appearing normal is good sign; what does the oil SMELL like?

BLUE smoke coming out the exhaust may be valve seals; coolant would be WHITE steam...

First thing I would do is pressurize the cooling system to check for leaks. Any radiator shop would probably do this for you for free.

There is a kit made to determine if you have exhaust gases in your cooling system. I don't like the way Scotty Kilmer yells, but this may be worth your time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7KVQq9vKA

I bought one of these kits; I think it was ~$60 or so; but I found out my head gasket WASN'T blown...

Good luck!

Last edited:
First, fix temperature gauge so you can watch for overheating.

Get cooling system completely full then wait until engine is cold. Start engine with the radiator cap off and rev it. If coolant blows out of the radiator you definitely have a problem. If it sits completely still, the head gasket is probably OK. When there are a few bubbles coming out, that is where the test kit is useful.

Half a million miles, time for a new car...what difference does it make it it;'a head gasket?

Blown head gasket= mixing of oil in coolant. When was the last time you flushed the radiator? The brown you're describing could be oil, but it could also be radiator crud.

Blue exhaust smoke= oil. Coolant looks white and smells like burnt coolant. Your symptoms are inconclusive.

There's so much that could be the culprit here given the mileage it's not worth fixing, it's probably a lot of expensive things.

Blown head gasket can also mean combustion gases in the coolant, oil in the antifreeze, antifreeze in the oil & crankcase. You may want to pull the head to have it checked, and you may have coked your oil control rings, which is what happened to my '90 Civic wagon years ago, PO ran it hot, the head was actually bowed with 2 bad valves. I actually rebuilt it without taking the engine out of the car, crank didn't need resurfaced, used .001 undersize rod bearings. It only had 150K on it, though.

Originally Posted By: mk378
First, fix temperature gauge so you can watch for overheating.

Get cooling system completely full then wait until engine is cold. Start engine with the radiator cap off and rev it. If coolant blows out of the radiator you definitely have a problem. If it sits completely still, the head gasket is probably OK. When there are a few bubbles coming out, that is where the test kit is useful.

Yup, forgot to mention that I reconnected the wire and temp gauge is now working.

At this mileage, I'd say get a lower mileage, newer and compatible engine (say 150k miles) and a radiator if it hasn't been replaced in 100k miles, and all new hoses.

Or just get a newer car and start over.

Purchased car new from dealer in Oct of 1990.
Not easy to let go

Own a 1979 300sd (Benz), 1988 300sel (Benz), 1970 280sel (Benz) and a 2002 Silverado.

Once you drive these cars you get hooked and swear that you will never buy a new car again.

I filled the radiator with water and turned on and left the car on for at least 7 minutes, without the radiator cap.
Initially, bubbles were observed at radiator and murky dark water was observed flowing out of the top filler neck

Once the car reached operating temperature I revved up the engine and noticed more murky water from the filler neck flowing to the ground.

After a few minutes the water stopped flowing out of the filler radiator neck.

No check engine light and temp gauge needle remained at normal operating temp.

Left car on for at least 12-15 minutes and noticed that the fan never turned on

Last edited:
Sucks to see a car make it that far and die over something stupid. I would keep it going, take the head off and have it rebuilt. Obviously, change the oil. Put it back together and see how it runs. You could just rebuild the whole motor, it's a cheap venture, but from the sounds of it you aren't knocking or tapping after your overheat. Bottom end might be ok.

Bottom end might be ok, but if you are doing this much work might as well redo the bottom end after 500k to get a fresh start.

Did you ever check the oil? Pull the plugs and if one has a new looking tip, it is burning coolant. I bonded with the Rat. It is not a daily driver,it is banged up and rusty and needed a clutch. Other than that, it ran fine drove good stopped. Everything. Starts when provided with a charged battery. Its up to about 3K bucks in parts and labor. And I'd be doing great to get a K$ for it. So, I'm not smart when my nostalgia gets in the way. A head job on a Honda, took me a month of spare time, to replace the #4 exhaust valves. If you are strong and can manage it, I recommend leaving the manifolds on the head when you pull it. That way, dealing with manifold studs is a bench job. `They were a pain in the fingers to remove on a '99 CRV with a 100K on it.````````````````````
`
`

Last time I changed the spark plugs I saw oil on the threads on a at least 3 spark plugs.

Also got blue smoke at exhaust when idling for an extended period of time.
Couple people on BITOG mentioned it was classic symptoms for valve stem seals gone bad.

Saw a couple videos on youtube on how to replace but put the job on the back burner.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Bottom end might be ok, but if you are doing this much work might as well redo the bottom end after 500k to get a fresh start.

Taking a head off this car is easier than some spark plug jobs I've done. Taking the block out is a bit of a different story, if it's due for a clutch that's a good reason to take it out. At 500k the car deserves a rebuild, but for the sake of bragging rights about original bottom end, I could see just doing the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back