[Cut open] Quaker State 3675A

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on the Monte for a little over 6k miles and 5 months I believe, I'll have to get the exact numbers tomorrow when I get back into the car. Not bad for a $2 (gasp) Purolator made filter!

Not sure how to read the date code but it's F05G 21B1. No tears in the media and the adbv is nice and pliable.

Edit: Build date is May 21st, 2015.

Last edited:
The owner's manual for my car says a filter can be used for up to 15,000 miles. By the looks of the wavy media, I'm not sure that filter would make it.
Not bad for $2.

Looks decent. For it's intended use, the ~5k mi./6 month oci/fci you're right, not bad. For $2...

And it uses a louvered centertube. As Mr Bill would say......
lol.gif
Thanks for pics.

I ran those filters on my hyundai when Menards would blow them out for @1.97 and have QSGB on sale with a rebate,now they are a Valvoline house and have yet to have a sale .

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Looks decent. For it's intended use, the ~5k mi./6 month oci/fci you're right, not bad. For $2...

And it uses a louvered centertube. As Mr Bill would say......
lol.gif
Thanks for pics.

That shi.t is creepy

Who is the SIU grad? I see a license plate frame in the background.

Other than that, I see no issues with that filter, for an entry level unit.

If Puro would have only made their Classics this way and to this spec, a lot of grief would have been saved.

The glued seam looks a bit suspect - both halves don't look totally glued together in the middle. Other than that, it looks good.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The glued seam looks a bit suspect - both halves don't look totally glued together in the middle. Other than that, it looks good.
I was going to comment about that as well, but since no one else did, I put it off to me seeing something that may not be there.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I was going to comment about that as well, but since no one else did, I put it off to me seeing something that may not be there.
cheers3.gif

This is camera magic. It definitely looks like the seam split, but it's actually perfectly intact. Not even the slightest tear or split, I think the wave of the please next to it is just looking like a split.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Who is the SIU grad? I see a license plate frame in the background.

Other than that, I see no issues with that filter, for an entry level unit.

If Puro would have only made their Classics this way and to this spec, a lot of grief would have been saved.

My wife and I both did in 2013. She got a B.S. in Dental Hygiene, I got a B.A. in Political Science.

Originally Posted By: Trotter
Looks good, looks fine.

What did you use to cut it open?

Just got the cutter actually, found it on Amazon. It's Bryke Racing Parts 701-250, got it for $39.99.

P.S. filter had about 6,300 miles and around 4 months on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If it cost $2 from QS, minus QS's markup, minus Purolator's markup to QS, what's left of the $2?

Lube shops can get jobber filters for roughly 50¢. I suspect a QS filter probably costs 30-40¢ to produce.

Thanks for the follow up explanation and confirming your result. Just me, but figured since you took/posted an up close pic of the seam area, you would have noted it in the op had there been any issue.

As for my friend Mr Bill, it might take a contextual knowledge and appreciation of SNL humor used in reference to the QS use of the Baldwin/Hastings/Champ style louvered centertube.

Lacking that, perhaps a less nuanced more recognizable figure Chicken Little makes the point.
the-sky-is-falling-300x300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back