What tool to remove rear triangle window?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a bad day today. My 2001 acura integra coupe had a break-in.
I went to pick and pull today and was unable to remove this rear triangle window. I played around with it and realize you have to slice the window adhesive from the inside of the car. Anyone have experience removing a window like this? What tool do i need for this job? I know i will need a LONG blade.

On the side note, i was able to replace the front driverside window for 35 bucks. Much less than letting a shop do it and or paying an insurance deductible.

With glass insurance, there is no deductible. Unless you have some fly-by-night dollar store insurance company.

Something like that ,possible glue in I would call a pro. Call the insurance company and ask For a couple of years all the family vehicles had the windshields replaced from debris damage and Calif State AAA charged 100.00 deductible per occurrence.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
With glass insurance, there is no deductible. Unless you have some fly-by-night dollar store insurance company.

There is a deductible even from big name insurance companies in certain states. Doesn't have any thing to do with a fly--by-night dollar store insurance company. What may be true in Az may not be true in all of the other 49 states.

my insurance doesnt even cover windshield rock chips. I have state farm btw. I prefer to do this myself since many panels will need to be removed. I rather do it myself than let some guy rip things apart and jam things back in place. Installing a tiny window like this is not rocket science. I know i will need a clean mating surface along with using the right adhesive. Now, i just need a tool recommendation to get the old one off ...

Last edited:
Hmmmm... Difference in states maybe. My State Farm covers glass, no deduct, and will have chips filled before they crack.
When I watched them do the glass in my company car, he had a helper, and a long piece of wire rope with a key ring on each end. "Sawed" the adhesive in two.

It's called encapsulated glass.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?ProductID=27811&GroupID=21105&History=30587:19748:19770:20231:20290:20231&ModelID=21105&pom=0

If there isn't a sharp bend, you might be able to get away with this -

http://www.harborfreight.com/windshield-removing-tool-60298.html

A heat gun to soften the adhesive will help. It's already broken, so you have nothing to lose!

Glass deductibles go along with comprehensive coverage, and they come in different amounts, just like your regular deductibles. For example, our glass deductible is $50. I've seen them with $0, $50, $100, and ones that just follow the comp deductible.

On a side note, very sorry to hear about your teg. As a former longtime Integra owner, it breaks my heart to hear about things like that happening.

Good luck with what you decide to do, but if it were me I'd just let a professional do it.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Glass deductibles go along with comprehensive coverage, and they come in different amounts, just like your regular deductibles. For example, our glass deductible is $50. I've seen them with $0, $50, $100, and ones that just follow the comp deductible.

On a side note, very sorry to hear about your teg. As a former longtime Integra owner, it breaks my heart to hear about things like that happening.

Good luck with what you decide to do, but if it were me I'd just let a professional do it.

I dont believe my policy has a dedicated glass section. I will need to check for curiosity. I am going to do this work myself since this is very DIY-able and inexpensive. I followed your integra thread and sad to see you get rid of it. This car is so amazing even after 20 years when this generation made it's debut. Can't think of many cars that can offer fuel efficiency, reliability and raw driving experience.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's called encapsulated glass.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?ProductID=27811&GroupID=21105&History=30587:19748:19770:20231:20290:20231&ModelID=21105&pom=0

If there isn't a sharp bend, you might be able to get away with this -

http://www.harborfreight.com/windshield-removing-tool-60298.html

A heat gun to soften the adhesive will help. It's already broken, so you have nothing to lose!

Very helpful, thank you!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

You may want to actually check a few facts before you spout off.

be extremely careful, unless you do this on a daily basis even with the right tools you might slice an artery. You really should just have a shop do it.

The pros use what is basically a long-handled box cutter to cut through the urethane - but leave this to the pros and only ones who use high-quality urethane and follow the instructions to a T, prep is critical to how well it bonds to the glass and the OEM urethane - it's also considered a structural element.

If you're comfortable enough to DIY this, you can get urethane readily easily, you're looking for Dow Betaseal or 3M Windo-Weld. Don't forget the primer and nozzles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back