Extinct animals: Tasmanian tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.

Not so unusual, since similar species exist elsewhere, but there is/was a Taiwan Cloud Leopard that is now believed to be extinct.

IIRC its unique identity/existence was confirmed by analyzing fur coats.

It's too bad that there are so many animals that are extinct because of man's direct efforts to make them so.

Even sadder are all the species that have or will become extinct due to pesticides and other poisons.

In America we had the Rocky mountain Locust.

"In 1875 the species formed the largest recorded locust swarm in the history of humankind, 1,800 miles long and 110 miles wide, equaling the combined area of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont. Thousands of farm families threw in their shovels and gave up.

A mere 28 years later, this seemingly indestructible enemy vanished. The last collection of a live Rocky Mountain locust was made 100 years ago, in 1902."

It's a very interesting, and sad, subject.

If you have not already done so try reading 'On the Track of Unknown Animals'. It's a bit fanciful in places but an entertaining read.

Interestingly, although the Tasmanian Tiger is long gone, it's still used as a symbol on just about everything here - our beer, our number plates, jeez even the state cricket team is called the Tassie Tigers!

Now if only someone would make the Tasmanian Tiger Snake extinct...

Originally Posted By: Kuato
It's too bad that there are so many animals that are extinct because of man's direct efforts to make them so.

Even sadder are all the species that have or will become extinct due to pesticides and other poisons.

And... this is not one of them.

The Tasmanian Tiger was out-competed by the Dingo, which was not introduced into the wild by any direct human effort, just a by-product of domesticated dogs getting loose and going feral.

PS I don't believe the "mathematical study". More PC [censored].

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: Kuato

And... this is not one of them.

The Tasmanian Tiger was out-competed by the Dingo, which was not introduced into the wild by any direct human effort, just a by-product of domesticated dogs getting loose and going feral.

It was out competed by the Dingo on the mainland, just like the original indigenes were out competed by the new arrivals (who likely brought the dingo).

By your logic, if my dog gets loose and kills sheep, I never intended for it to happen, so not responsible.

However, once isolated on Tasmania, humans were the driving motive in the extinction of both the Tassy Tiger and Tassy Aboriginal..

Animals go extinct, big whoop. Isn't this part of the Darwin's theory? So why do we feel that our meddling with nature will make a difference? We will go extinct one day as well.

It's funny when we start protecting one species, then the said species starts multiplying uncontrollably, taking over its environment and exhausting its food supply. So then we issue a killing spree for the said species. Gotta kill it for its own good
lol.gif

I have to say that a species becoming extinct is not in my top 100 of worries. Should we hunt them all down like in this case? No. On the otherhand should we spend millions to save a bug in the middle of nowhere. I dont think so.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I have to say that a species becoming extinct is not in my top 100 of worries. Should we hunt them all down like in this case? No. On the otherhand should we spend millions to save a bug in the middle of nowhere. I dont think so.

except maybe bees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back