Buying a new or used car/pickup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Great. Another thread of old foggies ranting against modern technology in cars. Get off my lawn!

This! None of that stuff bothers me. My current vehicles have the new fangled GDI, 2 turbos, leather, touchscreens, and all the goodies. I love them!

For the most part early adopters can test new technology because they're smarter than everyone else or just can't live without a new something or other. There is the advertising that directs their interest so that they don't miss anything. Life without a new gadget would be hard to imagine. They just have to make sure that if things don't work out, to trade up to something newer and be done with it.

So far I have only bought 2WD used vehicles. The 2006 Ford 500 was the first FWD but would not touch the same year with the AWD CVT for example. On a $5K car just about any major failure is going to mean it is salvage yard time.

I stepped back 16 years on my vehicle just because I don't drive much anymore and needed more room for kids. It took some getting used to not having some newer features but I can get by without them. The thing I miss the most is the outside tempature reading.

I went from a 2011 crew cab Silverado to a 1995 suburban.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
No throttle by wire on stick shift cars. TBW by definition wants to allow different power levels depending on the computer's moods.

Some companies do a good job of matching cars with a manual and drive-by-wire throttle.

VW does a good job at it, for example.

I test drove a good number of cars before settling on my Cruze eco with a manual for our other car. GM did a good job with it and the car is enjoyable to drive.

Hyundai does have problems with programming throttle/clutch actuation. It was terrible on my 2007 Sonata. I was sure they would have fixed it in later models, but I drove a 2014 Elantra with a manual and it had the exact same problems.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Old farts checking in.

I buy what appeals.

I do too, but simplicity is what appeals to me. I'm pretty much good with the technical level of Focus, and I think the only car left new that's as simple would be the Mirage?
The functional requirements of a car haven't changed since 1954(integrated air conditioning introduced by Nash), and any "infotainment" is handled quite well by my smartphone.
If I lived in a rust free area I'd probably just get a 1992 325i and just throw parts at it until it drove like new with a few tweaks to make it more fun for autocross. A car like that is as refined as I need it anyways.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: eljefino
No throttle by wire on stick shift cars. TBW by definition wants to allow different power levels depending on the computer's moods.

Some companies do a good job of matching cars with a manual and drive-by-wire throttle.

VW does a good job at it, for example.

I test drove a good number of cars before settling on my Cruze eco with a manual for our other car. GM did a good job with it and the car is enjoyable to drive.

Hyundai does have problems with programming throttle/clutch actuation. It was terrible on my 2007 Sonata. I was sure they would have fixed it in later models, but I drove a 2014 Elantra with a manual and it had the exact same problems.

Our 05 Subaru turbo Legacy wagon has perfect throttle response and its DBW with 5mt. I never realized it was DBW until recently.

My god, some of you guys really do hate any changes in technology, don't you?

"A 3 speed muncie transmission was just fine for me back in 1975, so, gosh darn it, that's all I want today, and more than 4 speeds is just waiting to have a failure. And bring back my feedback rochester carbs. I don't like anything that runs on electricity, and boy did I get mad at my wife when I found out her toy uses rechargable batteries the other day."

You know, I think I want a car that's the exact opposite of everything you guys don't want.

Let's look at the cars in my garage:

CX-5 - GDI (check), AWD (check) modern 6 speed auto (check) ABS + Traction control(check) power windows and doors (check) Touch Screen radio interface (check)

Cayman - GDI (check), Mid Engine RWD (check) modern 6 speed manual (check) ABS + Traction control (check) power windows and doors (check) Touch Screen radio interface (check)

Abarth - Small Turbocharged engine (check), ABS + Traction control (check) power windows and doors (check) Made by Chrysler/Fiat (check)

Heck, the Fiat is closer to all of your preferred vehicles, but yet you guys aren't buying them.

Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me.

BC.

I'm not averse to new technology, but I also appreciate the joy of driving a light car that isn't fitted with a raft of gadgets and electronic nannies. My two current BMWs sit at each end of the spectrum.

My Club Sport weighs less than 2800 pounds and FI and ABS are the only electronic systems. It is a ball to drive- with a small displacement high revving engine you have to pay attention to really go fast- keeping it in the power band and conserving momentum. You almost feel as if you are hard-wired into the throttle, brakes and steering.

The M235i weighs @700 pounds more, but packs over twice the horsepower and cranks out 330 lb-ft of torque from 1300-4500 rpm. The 8HP45 automatic is a brilliant match to the engine while the adaptive suspension and steering allow you to choose between a comfortable geezer mode and an aggressive back road attack setting. The only electronic gadgetry it lacks are the Helen Keller driving aids- lane departure, blind spot warning, etc. Like the Club Sport, it always makes me smile.

I love both cars and consider myself truly blessed to have such entertaining cars in my garage.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Simple is good.

Maybe. Maybe not.

The new Honda I had was certainly simple. It was also the worst car I've ever owned, by a long shot. Nothing, not even a VW, has come close. Thus far, I would say it was the worst manufactured product I've ever bought in my lifetime. And as my lifetime inexoraby draws shorter, it may hold that title to my last breath.

But it was simple.

OTOH, the '04 Jaguar, 08 Holden, and '09 Pontiacs ( that are loaded to the gills )have been stellar in reliability and durability ( well, one '09 Pontiac hasn't been driven in at least three years, but I see no reason it would be less durable or reliable than the other '09 ).

But, I agree, no CVT's for me - I had an ATV thing with one and it always felt like it was slipping. Besides, with 8 or 9 forward gears, what meaningful advantage could a CVT really have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back