2016 Honda Pilot-new vehicle puchase Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve asked for help in this forum regarding a new SUV purchase. Here’s another question.

We’ve narrowed our search to the (All new) Pilot (LE 6 cylinder, and yes, I know it’s a new model), Toyota Highlander and in the distant, the Hyundai Santa Fe (The Chevy Transverse was originally #1, having rented one for a 2000-mile trip to Utah, but due to engine and transmission issues that I have had friends that are GM mechanics mention, we’ve removed it).

Of the 3, the Pilot has the most room, not only for storage, but in the 3rd seat (My wife is a girl scout leader so she wants that extra seating). I’ve been happy with my Civic (Other than the cracked head recall at 91,000 miles).

So as of right now, the Pilot is our choice, but I’m a bit worried about the reported transmission issue I’ve read and heard about with the new model. For those of you that are owners, how has this impacted you? I’ve read about certain software patches and did that solve the problem, or would you recommend steering away from the 2016 Pilot and go for the Highlander? Are there other issues that after experiencing them would have had you not buy the Pilot?

I’m one of these guys that tend to drive my vehicles for many, many miles so I want something that will last. Buying an extended warranty only shows to me that I have doubts about a vehicle so I tend to stay away from them. I had to deal with arbitration twice and won with the lemon law for a 98 Dodge Ram, and don’t want to go that route again because it is a hassle.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
I got lost 5 threads ago on the same new car buying subject.

Not sure why every other day we get a new thread about you buying a car.

Were you talking about the pilot LX?

Originally Posted By: Rand
I got lost 5 threads ago on the same new car buying subject.

Not sure why every other day we get a new thread about you buying a car.

And just last week, he didn't care for the looks of either Pilot or Highlander and was going to buy the Santa Fe. Things change fast around here.
smile.gif

What are the transmission problems on the new Pilot that he's referring to? I haven't heard anything. The vehicle is kind of new to be able to collect meaningful reliability stats on it, unless there is some well known manufacturing defect that has been found.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
Of the 3, the Pilot has the most room, not only for storage, but in the 3rd seat (My wife is a girl scout leader so she wants that extra seating). I’ve been happy with my Civic (Other than the cracked head recall at 91,000 miles).

Just buy a minivan instead.
More seating, more comfortable, more storage, better at what you actually need the car to do when carrying lots of people in comfort, AND gets better gas mileage.

BC.

Curious about the transmission problems your GM mechanic friends talk about on the Traverse. There was a known problem with the wave plate on earlier models, and GM has provided a 10 year 120000 mile warranty on it.

By 2011 the wave plate problem was resolved. The engine problems they talk about are probable regarding the timing chain, which again was the earlier model years.

That also has been resolved, and an extended warranty for earlier models was also issued.

If you were buying a used 2010 or older Traverse, then what they are saying is correct. A new 2015 or 2016, no concerns in my opinion.

Check the Pilot forum and see what the concerns are on the new 2016 Pilot. Either one should serve you well.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/

Interesting that over 15% of respondents to an informal poll on that forum say they WOULD NOT recommend the 2016 Pilot to a friend. Just something else to cloud your thought process, LOL!

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016...2016-pilot.html

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP, you're not going to get much help where a, just introduced, brand new model is concerned.

The troublesome transmission for the Pilot is the 9 speed automatic, which is new this year. But, according to the Honda website, this is only available for top trim level: the LX, EX and EX-L come with a 6-speed automatic that I believe is a carryover from prior years.

You may want to spend some time on the Pilot forum (Piloteers?) to check further.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Just buy a minivan instead.
More seating, more comfortable, more storage, better at what you actually need the car to do when carrying lots of people in comfort, AND gets better gas mileage.

BC.

+1 on the minivan.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The soap opera of BITOG. We went from probably Santa Fe to probably Pilot. I just can't wait for the next thread, maybe the plot will twist back to Traverse.

Now that would be funny.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
Interesting that over 15% of respondents to an informal poll on that forum say they WOULD NOT recommend the 2016 Pilot to a friend. Just something else to cloud your thought process, LOL!

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016...2016-pilot.html

But then again, is there any vehicle out there that 100% would recommend? There is no one single vehicle that pleases everyone. That's why we have options.
smile.gif

I'm married. Does this answer the question about the change?

LOL. Yes, it does.
smile.gif
You probably should have started there. It would have saved you some time researching vehicles.

If I wanted to know about vehicle reliability I would be reading the current issue of Consumer Reports (annual auto issue). Your not going to get the big picture by talking to a couple of GM mechanics for example.

I'm married. Does this answer the question about the change?

Well then tell your husband to make up his mind!
thankyou2.gif
lol.gif

OP, do not kid yourself that Pilot is an SUV. It is now just a minivan. Buy a real minivan instead and save thousands.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
OP, do not kid yourself that Pilot is an SUV. It is now just a minivan. Buy a real minivan instead and save thousands.

Yep more of a midsize/large CUV

Another example would be the ford explorer.

Thanks for any advice.

There is the potential for any mechanical device to have issues or need repairs. There is no such thing as a vehicle line that never needs any repairs, and has 100% perfect reliability. With all of the posts that you're making on the same subject, you're spending way to much time over-thinking the issue. Purchase what you (or your spouse) likes and enjoy it, while you put aside some money for the potential future repairs. If it needs a repair at some point in the future, simply make the repair and move on. If it never needs a major repair, then you have a nice sum to invest or use for the vehicle that will eventually replace this one.

And if you can't afford to save the money to make possible repairs, then you probably can't afford the vehicle in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back