Favorite pour in oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
gents, thanks for the thoughtful replies but I apologize to fordman65 to taking the thread off topic. I was half asleep when I made my reply and was thinking additives in general. fordman65 was focused on oil additives. Other than MMO I do not have any experience with oil additives. MMO is not really an oil additive that would improve the oil characteristics.

Virtus_Probi - it is definitely predetonation under a load at about 1800 - 2000 rpms.

demarpaint - I have not yet tried the hot water injection cleanup yet.

Is this a newer turbo with direct fuel injection?

This is a 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 that never used to ping on 87 octane. My dad used Mobil M1 5W30 and used top tier fuels from about 40,000 miles to 65,000 miles. I have run the truck from 65K miles to 144K with Mobil M1 5W30 and top tier fuels. I have 148K miles on it now. I am sure a better grade of gas would help tremendously but I would like to find the cause. Thanks for the tip.

I have seen some of the videos and the borescope did not seem to show radical improvement in piston top carbon removal. But as you say, it is easy to do and costs nothing except the oil / filter should be changed after. From the videos, hot water injection was maybe more effective than Seafoam. Next stop after this would be Molakule's soak. That means I will likely ruin another shirt.
grin.gif

I really don't have much to lose.

Interesting you mention the water clean up.
My uncle used to work at Ford.
His ex-wife's Gran Marquis. A late 80's early 90's model.
Stopped running and it was towed to my parent's house.
A Ford mechanic trained and certified through Ford (not my normal mechanic).
Came over with my uncle. The mechanic asked for a garden hose.
The mechanic put the hose in the carb. Told us to start the car and run it full throttle.
Ran it full throttle until it choked out. Let the car sit for an hour. After starting it.
My god I thought the fire department was going to be called, due to all the white smoke pouring out of that car. 20 minutes of white smoke. Mechanic immediately changed the oil and filter.
Car ran like it was in the Daytona 500. But that was the old 351 motor's for you.
The car was still running when my uncle divorced his ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back