Fusion 2.5L thermostat temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some driving recently with the Fusion, using my ELM 327 Bluetooth and Torque app, monitoring the coolant temperature. Once the vehicle is warmed up, it'll stay right around 177 degrees F, as shown on the Torque app. I don't know where exactly this temperature reading is pulled from, and assuming a few degrees of error, this looks like a 180 degree thermostat. For reference, my Sedona does have a 180 degree thermostat, and the readings are very similar when hot. Oddly, if I start accelerating, the temperature will actually drop by a few degrees in the Fusion. According to some parts websites, 180 IS the OEM temperature. Other sites, however, state that 190 is the OEM temperature. Does anyone actually know? The temperature holds extremely steady at 177 when cruising, whether on backroads or on the highway, regardless of external temperature.

FWIW, I've heard that this 2.5L engine doesn't use a coolant temp sensor, but rather a temp sensor in the head, in order to give certain temp readings (possibly including the dummy temp gauge and what my Torque app is seeing).

From the FSM

Thermostat Opening Temperatures

Thermostat starts to open (2.5L) 80-84°C (176-183°F)
Thermostat fully open (2.5L) 97°C (207°F)

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
From the FSM

Thanks! This does seem to also support another temp reading I've been seeing. During extended idling periods, the temp pretty much never raised above 208/209 degrees.

Sounds normal...and the dip in temp when accelerating...could it be due to increased coolant flow from the water pump spinnig faster?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sounds normal...and the dip in temp when accelerating...could it be due to increased coolant flow from the water pump spinnig faster?

This would be my expectation.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
From the FSM

This +1. Tolerances allowed diviations from the specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back