Combination Gasoline/Diesel Fuel Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way over my head... https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US7927387.pdf
The link is for the patent of a fuel additive for both gas and diesel, if I read correctly. I didn't think that was possible based on what I have read, that being that cetane improvers reduce overall octane, and vice versa. I don't think the formulas would apply anymore, ULSD has come on board since the patent, and any additive pretty much has to be tailored for the base fuel.
I know from personal experience (read that experimentation, and/or ignorance) that I put 4 ounces of a diesel additive (cleaner/ cetane improver) in about 3.5 gallons of RUG, and within about 35 miles, that engine was pinging under even light acceleration. I haven't heard spark knock in a long time, pretty much since EFI became common. Topping off the tank and the ping stopped within a few miles.
Taught me two things, don't do it again, and 1 ounce per gallon of some fuel/add combos can have a dramatic effect on end result. This was a concentrate, supposed to be used at about 100:1 in diesel.

Last edited:
All you need is some Isopropyl or Methyl Alcohol. It's what's in HEET and isoHEET.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
All you need is some Isopropyl or Methyl Alcohol. It's what's in HEET and isoHEET.

I had to re-read the original post about three times to see if I missed the part where he was asking for an additive to remove water. Still don't see it so I'm scratching my head as to why you tossed out Isopropyl. Then again, he never really stated what he was trying to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back