Dissapointing, Spectra Premium radiator failed in

Status
Not open for further replies.
6000 miles. I replaced the OEM radiator in my CTS-V prematurely about 9 months ago, it was damp at the seams along the top and they have a reputation for failing prematurely. It did not fit my definition of leaking but I do very long trips on short notice so I figured I would change it and keep the old one around. Today the new one started leaking along the press fit metal to plastic seam. It as a tiny amount, but enough leaked out that it ran down onto the fan and some antifreeze was thrown onto my engine cover/headers. I noticed the smell when I got out of the car.

I bought it from Rockauto, they can be a little difficult about returns. Spectra Premium radiators have a 2 year warranty so I will contact the manufacturer first. I have my receipt and some of the paperwork from in the box. I'm hoping they don't make a warranty claim complicated. I installed it myself, a very easy job, the car hasn't been in any type of accident or had anything happen that would cause a premature failure.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Spi has a huge failure rate. Buy from a-zone or napa as they offer a lifetime warranty you will use

spectra is the supplier for Napa radiators, that was the reason I bought this one.

Maybe if they let me keep the bad one and send a new one I can build a little closed pumping system with water and a sealer, fix this problem myself.

Been there done that. Replaced mine in the Jeep failed at 30K mies. Replaced with an aluminum dual pass off ebay. It's great.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Been there done that. Replaced mine in the Jeep failed at 30K mies. Replaced with an aluminum dual pass off ebay. It's great.

That actually working for you? Ive always been concerned about the thickness of the aluminium and how well the mounts are positioned as Im familiar with how that can be a problem.
I guess the best thing is, if it leaks, it can just be TIG'd to fix it.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: DemoFly

That actually working for you? Ive always been concerned about the thickness of the aluminium and how well the mounts are positioned as Im familiar with how that can be a problem.
I guess the best thing is, if it leaks, it can just be TIG'd to fix it.

It is a pretty stout unit. The only downside is I had to cut some notches on the top radiator cowling and I had to put some 1/2 rubber spacers on the bottom mounts.

The radiator doesn't have transmission line hookups which is a bonus for the ZJ. I deleted those and they go directly to the factory transmission cooler.

My engine runs cooler and my trans runs cooler. Definitely worth the $200.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I take it this one was made in China and not Canada?

I believe it is Canada, I'll find out soon. It appeared to be very well made, great packaging too. I'm not expecting anything else except a replacement with a fresh warranty. I could go aftermarket aluminum but I'm not interesting in hacking or lower coolant temps.

I have a giant all-aluminum Spectra from AZ that I had put in my F-450-it was bad right out of the box, seeping welds. I've exchanged it, but the original brass one has been holding up (had it boiled out to keep as a spare), haven't put the Spectra back in. If I was buying another one, it would have to be local w/lifetime warranty, they're not very consistent on quality. That's why they're cheap.

After initial success with them, I stopped using them due to leaks. I now order from 1-800 radiator.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
1. Try to find a visteon/vista pro rad.
2. Quit using dexcool

1. Excellent brand to choose
2. Why? Dex is an excellent coolant, capable of very long service intervals. I suppose you're one of those people that thinks it causes leaks and eats plastics, metal and causes the ozone layer to dissipate? Ask SteveSRT8 what he thinks of DexCool in his fleet of service vans...

Don't bother calling spectra, rockauto will warranty it our for you. There is a difference between warrantying a product out and a return by rockauto. The way it works is rockauto will charge your credit card for a new radiator and ship it and afterwards when they receive the damaged one back they'll refund the money to you, call them!!

Last edited:
I am surprised that its a Canadian built one, the Chinese ones are iffy I know that but the others were pretty decent.
If its a bugger to change like requiring the nose and radiator support to be removed I use OE from the dealer, the price difference doesn't make up for the labor. On these they get a new A/C condenser and any maintenance close to being due that needs to have the nose pulled.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am surprised that its a Canadian built one, the Chinese ones are iffy I know that but the others were pretty decent.
If its a bugger to change like requiring the nose and radiator support to be removed I use OE from the dealer, the price difference doesn't make up for the labor. On these they get a new A/C condenser and any maintenance close to being due that needs to have the nose pulled.

Cripes!! A condenser?!? I've had them last hundreds of thousands of miles. Is that a weak point on this vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back