'13 KTM Duke 690 Amsoil Synth Dirt Bike Oil 10w60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received the latest UOA today from blackstone. I’m still thinking through what the next move is. A couple of notes, there was about 500 ml of makeup oil for this report (not sure why that was omitted), the bike currently has 16,200 miles or 4,172 miles on the current oil (I’m waiting on some magnetic oil filter covers and drain bolts to arrive in the mail before changing the oil). From left to right, the oil samples in the blackstone report are [Amsoil 10w60, Amsoil 60, and Motorex Crosspower 4t 10w60 for the three rightmost columns]. The factory recommended OCI is 6,214 miles or annually. I do about 1,200 miles/month. I use Stainless steel oil filters so I’m saving money there I suppose. This bike has two filters and two oil screens that are cleaned with each oil change.

As I weigh the next move, I suppose my goal is maximum engine life. I don’t have a ton of cash to throw around, despite what my UOA habit might suggest. Also, the cheapest option is to keep using the amosil 10w60 as a have 10 quarts of the stuff sitting in my car.

sx93BCU.png

4Zl8thX.png

Links:
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo...?code=DB60QT-EA

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=MCSQT-EA

http://www.revzilla.com/product/maxima-extra-4-engine-oil

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/motul-7100-4t-synthetic-engine-oil

Last edited:
Besides the good UOA the bike is a blast to ride. Around here they use Red Line in their KTM's, Husky's and other similar bikes. There's a local oil company here in Falbrook that carries the whole Red Line inventory at great prices. That makes it very convenient.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Besides the good UOA the bike is a blast to ride. Around here they use Red Line in their KTM's, Husky's and other similar bikes. There's a local oil company here in Falbrook that carries the whole Red Line inventory at great prices. That makes it very convenient.

Shoot. I rode through Fallbrook last Friday. The Redline 20W60 Motorcycle oil might make it's way on to the list for 3,000 mile OCI. Thx!

Why not change the oil at 2,000 miles and the filters and pick up screens at mfr intervals which I think is About 4500 miles. Maybe try a 20w-50 because 10w-60 is such a wide viscosity spread it can't help but shear.

besides a little shearing I don't see any issue. Use what you have on hand. Chasing PPM likely won't net you any noticeable difference in Engine life. All the oils you have tried are top tier and they all performed pretty much identical as far as wear.

Use what you have and then shop for something else that is the best bargain. Nice reports!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why not change the oil at 2,000 miles and the filters and pick up screens at mfr intervals which I think is About 4500 miles. Maybe try a 20w-50 because 10w-60 is such a wide viscosity spread it can't help but shear.

I will likely give the 20w50 a shot. I will also be picking up an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the filters and screens.

Is that roughly a 50% loss in viscosity for all three oils? That is a huge drop, but no one else seems to be concerned about that. Can somebody explain why that is not a problem or point out what I am missing?

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Is that roughly a 50% loss in viscosity for all three oils? That is a huge drop, but no one else seems to be concerned about that. Can somebody explain why that is not a problem or point out what I am missing?

the amsoil sae 60 held best

Originally Posted By: albertdi

I will likely give the 20w50 a shot. I will also be picking up an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the filters and screens.
The oil filters? I would just replace the oil filters every other oil change. Cool bike . The first time I saw one I thought Yamaha RD which is the most fun to drive bike I have ever been on but with 70 HP!

they are these
Originally Posted By: albertdi

The oil filters? I would just replace the oil filters every other oil change. Cool bike . The first time I saw one I thought Yamaha RD which is the most fun to drive bike I have ever been on but with 70 HP!

The filters are stainless: http://www.scottsonline.com/Product_Info.php?PartType=3

I usually spray em with brake cleaner and then hit them with simple green and some compressed air. Hopefully getting the ultrasonic cleaner will simplify the process.

But motorcycle engine oils should not be falling out of their original viscosity grade at any point let lone dropping almost 2 full grades after only 1,000-3,000 miles. All of those are on the cusp of being 30 weight oils according to those measurements except for the one 4th from the right that only dropped down to a 50 weight so far.

But motorcycle engine oils should not be falling out of their original viscosity grade at any point let lone dropping almost 2 full grades after only 1,000-3,000 miles. All of those are on the cusp of being 30 weight oils according to those measurements except for the one 4th from the right that only dropped down to a 50 weight so far.
That was Amsoil straight 60. Motorcycles with shared oil are mostly just plain brutal oil the oil.

OK you have aftermarket oil filters.I knew the oil pump pickup uses screens for the filters. Have you run the aftermarket filters for long?

OK you have aftermarket oil filters.I knew the oil pump pickup uses screens for the filters. Have you run the aftermarket filters for long?

The aftermarket filters have been in the engine since the 6/17/15 oil change and sample date.

I wonder is the oem types filter any different? This is a really interesting posting subject.

Last edited:
That was Amsoil straight 60. Motorcycles with shared oil are mostly just plain brutal oil the oil.

Exactly part of my point though. A monograde oil should have pretty much zero shear since it shouldn't be using a viscosity modifier in which to shear. I'm not saying monogrades can't use viscosity modifiers, but it doesn't serve a purpose beyond VI increase if you are using the right base oils for the grade.

Regardless of how brutal a motorcycle transmission is on oil, they should not be shearing down a significant amount. That is one of many reason why we have specific oils for motorcycles; to address the shear more common in automotive oils. That is why shear limits are included in the JASO specification, and I would be shocked to see any of these oils meet that standard after seeing these results.

If only there was some sort of independent research grant to fund my oil shearing case study. I'd be happy to ride 3,000 miles, analyze, and compare data. I suppose I'd just make my way through the following oils and reassess.

0hiXl67.png

Some questions I have are
1) how will the amsoil 10w-60 hold up after 1,000 miles and
2) will something like a 20w-60 hold viscosity after 3,000 miles or will it shear, shear, shear

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back