2003 Dodge Caravan rear wheel locked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
The right rear wheel on my 2003 Dodge Caravan locked up today. I started the engine and tried to drive off, the right rear wheel was not turning. Fortunately, I have a gravel driveway so the wheel just slid. The temp outside this morning was 21 degrees and my wife mentioned possibly driving thru a deep puddle the last time she drove it. There was no noise to indicate a wheel bearing locking up, it was fine one day and locked the next. I have not pulled the wheel off yet due to work and weather. Any thoughts on why this happened? We do not drive the Caravan often, maybe once a week.

Thanks in advance for any input. I will post whatever I find when I get time to tear it down.

Dont use parking brake in freezing temps. To free the wheel a good sized hammer on the backing plate should knock it loose after a few wacks.

Due to working a lot of OT I had the Caravan towed to a good local garage. The problem was a stuck wheel cylinder. New wheel cylinders and brake shoes and machine the drums on both sides $335.00. So much for that overtime pay :)

Thank You to everyone who offered advice.

Why did it stick?

Did hygroscopic brake fluid past its prime contain water that froze? Maybe dirt got to it.

I am not as familiar with drums, shoes, wheel cylinders as I am with discs, pads, calipers and pistons.

(Some)New OTR trucks have discs as options now. I remember a Monk episode where they pulled the 'hydraulic' air line on a big rig and fluid went everywhere and they lost brakng going down a hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back