1st Alabama assembled A320 complete & into paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, everything for this plant is sent by boat straight to the Port of Mobile, which is a mile or two from the assembly line. Much cheaper than air.

A lot of the parts are actually made in the US so I don't know how those are sent. Like the engines and landing gear for example.

Nice to see.
Interesting that Airbus didn't ditch plans for this plant when the tanker award went to Boeing.
Delivery potential matters a lot with these single aisle aircraft and this facility can only help Airbus in that regard.
I'm a Boeing shareholder and I respect Boeing's old bet the company ethos, but I wonder whether Boeing isn't becoming the next McD.
The 787 is now an almost decade old program.
When will the next new, not derivative aircraft come from Boeing?
In just over a decade, Boeing engineered, developed, certified and built the 707/720, 727, 737 and 747.
The outcome was that Boeing totally dominated airliner sales into the late eighties.
Where is that kind of engineering and management effort now?

Yep same thing with Lockheed...look at all those amazing aircraft they made years ago with nothing but pencils and rulers. Now look at the mess they are today.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
No, everything for this plant is sent by boat straight to the Port of Mobile, which is a mile or two from the assembly line. Much cheaper than air.

A lot of the parts are actually made in the US so I don't know how those are sent. Like the engines and landing gear for example.

Ahh ok cool. My grandparents worked for Aero Spacelines and always talked fondly of the French Airbus reps. When my grandpa worked for Boeing at Cape Canaveral on the Apollo program helped work on a barge system to get Saturn V parts from Mobile to the Cape.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Yep same thing with Lockheed...look at all those amazing aircraft they made years ago with nothing but pencils and rulers. Now look at the mess they are today.
The CEO and upper management get paid too much. The new world order will see one huge company building second rate products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back