Favorite pour in oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I wanted some input (not saying opinions).
On what if any oil additive, but the pour in. That you pour directly in the oil.
Not the oil add packs that the oil companies put in the oil.
By pour in I mean like STP, Motor-Kote, Lucas ,etc.

I have used a oil additive. Motor Kote. That was with a previous car that I was running on dino oil. I liked it improved my mpg.

Just curious.

I always add a bottle of SLOB to my GF's Fusion for a little extra anti-wear additives as the 2.5 in it has DOC.

I have started using some Liqui Moly MoS2 in my oil, about half a bottle per change, after convincing myself that the worst it would be was harmless.

Last edited:
In the oil, I only use Restore, but only when an old vehicle is nearing the end of its service. It does increase compression.

In the gas, a 2X does of Regane or Techron (they have PEA)just before oil change every 10,000 miles.

After SLOB, VSET and VSOT, there aren't any I have used as of late. When dosed out, I would have stellar UOA's with these products. I will say if I had a vehicle that speced 0W20, I would try M1 0W30 racing oil as an additive with M1 0W20EP with high TBN. You could have an additive boost with the M1 racing and balance things out with a high TBN oil like M1 EP. I would love to see a UOA or a VOA with such a combo. Both oils have good base stocks.

Edit: I just checked into it; M1 0W30 racing has a TBN of 9.9. Bonus!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Nothing?

I'm partial to motor oil myself.

Ok, I know there used to be a list of the meanings of all the abbreviations, but I can't seem to find it. So what does SLOB, and VSET, and VSOT stand for?
I , like lapham3, use some STP in the old classics, but the modern cars get just oil.

I've been trying Lubegard Bio-tech in my vehicleS. It's supposed to contain esters and soluble moly. I added some to my scooter about halfway into an oil change interval and it seemed to make the engine run smoother and more quietly. I've noticed no change in my cars though.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Nothing?

I'm partial to motor oil myself.

Well just plain old motor oil is fine. All those additives are basically snake oil. People just figure they've got nothing to lose if the engine is on its last legs. For a regular modern engine, it shouldn't need any. Ever notice how no manufacturer recommends them? The only point of them is to make your wallet lighter.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The only point of them is to make your wallet lighter.

Exactly. The lower weight of all that wasted money makes the wallet lighter, and the lighter weight improves gas mileage! Therefore, the benefit of the additives is less money in your pocket an infinitesimal increase in fuel mileage.

So many should be posting their questions in an online therapy forum...

Listen, unless your engine has some specific requirement not addressed with the modern oils available or the one of your choice, then add nothing. The car in your sig doesn't need anything, it would probably run forever on Crisco. Why mess around?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The only point of them is to make your wallet lighter.

Exactly. The lower weight of all that wasted money makes the wallet lighter, and the lighter weight improves gas mileage! Therefore, the benefit of the additives is less money in your pocket an infinitesimal increase in fuel mileage.

As for saving money, simply airing up ones tires and driving 70 instead of 80 will be vastly more important than occasionally using an additive. What, once ever two years or so?

Nada! I use Pennz Plat which has all the additives I need.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Noey
So many should be posting their questions in an online therapy forum...

Listen, unless your engine has some specific requirement not addressed with the modern oils available or the one of your choice, then add nothing. The car in your sig doesn't need anything, it would probably run forever on Crisco. Why mess around?

All to their own. The OP question is valid, and Regane and Techron are legit products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back