2012 Harley Davidson Nightster with 300 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm picking up my 1st Harley soon. A 2012 Nightster XL1200N. Family bought it brand new & bro in-law has only ridden it around the neighborhood & starts it every once in a while. Everything is original with a very low 300 miles so this will be the 1st oil change. I want to change out the engine oil & tranny fluid ASAP since so much time has gone by.
Few Q's for y'all:
*What are they filled with from the factory? Conventional or synthetic?
*If conventional, should I stick with the same til 1k miles before going synthetic?
*In my previous sportbikes, I've ran car oil filters & Shell Rotella T-6 from Walmart with awesome results. Can I get the same stuff for the Harley?

The owners manual will say what the factory fill is. (20/50 HD360 conventional in engine and probably formula plus in trans).

Despite the low miles, the oil has been in there for almost 4 years. Shouldn't it be changed out? I'd feel better doing it.

Originally Posted By: Nicasio
Despite the low miles, the oil has been in there for almost 4 years. Shouldn't it be changed out? I'd feel better doing it.

I would change it.

If you want to use a car oil, the Valvoline VR1 and Kendall GT1 20w50 has returned STELLAR results in Harley engines. Many also use the Mobil 1 15w50 with good results.

As for the trans/primary, Formula + works. If I recall it is just a straight 50 oil with very little in terms of additive package.

I used to have a 2008 Buell Blast (think Sportster power plant minus 1 cylinder); when I bought it in 2011 it only had @ 1300 miles and shortly afterward I had a local Harley dealer do an oil/filter/transmission fluid change & when they offered the various options I chose to have their synthetic 20w-50 put in the engine & transmission (Harley now recommends their synthetic 20w-50 in the transmission when going full synthetic)

basically you could do the same thing with Mobil 1 20w-50 synthetic bike oil or 15w-50 synthetic car oil (or whatever brand you choose); also heard of folks putting a stout 20w-50 conventional car oil in the engine & Shell Rotella T 15w-40 conventional heavy duty engine oil in the transmission with good results;

if I still had the Buell my plan would have been altered to using 20w-50 conventional car oil & a midgrade filter (something meant to go 5000 miles or less) in the engine for 2500 miles & Mobil 1 synthetic bike oil in the transmission every 5000 miles...save some $$$ by doing my own oil changes and letting the dealership handle the transmission service since it's not readily accessible without taking a bunch of stuff off the bike

currently I have 2 different Asian metric cruisers that use a common oil sump for the engine, transmission, and clutch which makes everything much simpler; I usually use good conventional 10w-40 bike oil or 15w-40 conventional hdeo and run them with 1500-2000 mile OCI's; the Suzuki takes an element style filter and I usually grab OEM or Hi Flo Filtro & the Honda takes a screw-on filter so I can save some money on buying midgrade filters from several manufacturers instead of buying OEM

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I would order a Half Case of Amsoil 20w-50 synthetic and Use it in both holes. Congrats on the new bike!

Word!!

The only real concern with a Sportster is that whatever you put in the trans is yellow metal safe. AFAIK this is only a concern with gear oil.

Opinions about particular oils will be about as hotly debated as car oil (maybe worse) but as long as it is a reputable oil of at least approximately the correct viscosity it should have 4 year old factory fill beat.

Some HD's (the CVOs) come factory fill with SYN3 so I wouldn't sweat the synthetic at 300 miles.

Mobil 1 15/50 (car oil) is a popular choice with the HD crowd as well...

(Edit: Also you can pick up a factory repair manual for about 65.00, I'd highly recommend it)

Last edited:
+1 Duckryder
I have a good friend who swears by Mobil1 15 w50 in all 3 of his Harley's , it made me switch to synthetics in my gold wing when i was down last summer riding in the heat with him and his wife, his motors are built and he rides in a rather spirited fashion

This hot-running throwback is an application where synthetic is probably beneficial...I would run synthetic 20-50 (any brand) in the engine and whatever HD recommends in the primary.

I always used the HD Syn3 20w50 in my Sportster. It was fine in both the engine and trans. Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50 would be as good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nicasio

Few Q's for y'all:
*What are they filled with from the factory? Conventional or synthetic?
*If conventional, should I stick with the same til 1k miles before going synthetic?
*In my previous sportbikes, I've ran car oil filters & Shell Rotella T-6 from Walmart with awesome results. Can I get the same stuff for the Harley?

1. Conventional
2. Doesnt matter what oil you use or when you go to synthetic
3. Unfortunately its REALLY hard to find 15/50 or 20/50 Diesel oil in the USA and that is what is recommended for your bike. I use a 15/50 semi/syn diesel oil Mystik jt8.
Amsoil and Royal Purple sell a Full syn 20/50 Diesel oil, maybe Redline too.

Bottom line? You can use any oil mentioned in this thread have have the same great results.

Your oil should ALWAYS be changed at least once a year even when its not being used..so yes, you should change it right away.
In the Primary and Transmission I use HD Formula+, though using 20/50 motor oil is fine.
Dont use gear lube in a transmission when a manufacturer doesnt state gear oil and specifies motor oil or transmission oil, there is a reason..

Last edited:
Oil filter on Harley is in the return to the tank. It has specific flow values that must be correct or you can flood the crankcase sump.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back