Wiper blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sentra needs new blades.
I always buy them at Walmart. The beam type runs from about $14 to $18 each.
I went on Rock Auto and bought a set of Bosch Clear Advantage beam blades for $15.79 for both blades including shipping.
Why buy at Walmart?
I also saw standard spark plugs for under $2.00.
Iridium plugs for $7.00.

I've had the best luck with the cheap michelin blades at wal mart. The more expensive ones may work better at first but seem to start hopping/smearing quicker.

The $5 Super Tech blades are reboxed Anco 31 series, a popular economy wiper.

I also like the Denso Designer wipers, made in Japan.

Well, Walmart clearances their wiper blades before they get really old and hard.
The ones they finally get tired of taking up valuable shelf space get sold off cheap to a jobber.
Guess where they go from there?
Rock does offer really sharp pricing.
For perishable items, and wiper blades are, caveat emptor.

Try Big Lots sometime. They will occasionally have high end wipers on clearance in the auto aisle. Not all sizes will be available though.

I bought some NAPA branded Trico Teflon blades on a clearance sale from Rock Auto. The boxes had that kind of dust on them that screamed "old." They worked well, but did not last long. I guess I got what I paid for, but I won't be doing that again.

I have been having good luck with the Walmart Michelin cheapos too. The Autozone brand beam style was good also, I think I got some on sale before buy one get one half off

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, Walmart clearances their wiper blades before they get really old and hard.
The ones they finally get tired of taking up valuable shelf space get sold off cheap to a jobber.
Guess where they go from there?
Rock does offer really sharp pricing.
For perishable items, and wiper blades are, caveat emptor.

Would a wiper blade that is unused really go bad?

I tried Rain X latitude last year for the first time because it was the only blade that fit on the VW arm securely.
The Bosch, Michelin and others were loose so I tried these. Best wipers I have used so far, still smear free and quiet after a year.

Originally Posted By: deoxy4
Costco has Goodyear wiper blades. At certain times of the year they are half price.

http://costcocouple.com/goodyear-wiper-blade/

The only time I've been disappointed with a Costco product.
37.gif

Last edited:
Walmart recently clearanced out the Trico Winter blades with teflon and I picked up a pair for $14 plus tax. Not a fan of the beam blades, but these are the first blades Ive had on the car that don't chatter from day 1.

Was at walmart today in NY, they were clearancing a bunch for less than what you paid..although I arrived too late...couldnt get both my 18 & 26 in same brand, so i didnt bother. Ive tried rain x, goodyear (from costco) and others..the best ones ironically were the Anco (cheapest) but i havent seen them around..Im using the anco winter blades for the third season..though the larger one doesnt wipe properly in below zero..im debating trying to replace the strips to see if that can work..but I will buy the cheap walmart ones that are now made by federal mogul (similar to old anco's). Hands down best blades ive used..i hated the beam blades..

Originally Posted By: marine65

Yes, they can, albeit more slowly. If you store them in a garage or shed they go bad faster than storing them indoors. Even though UV and pressure against the glass are big enemies, changing temperatures and uncontrolled humid/dry cycles tend to deteriorate rubber. Natural rubber blades will be more susceptible than silicone.

I've been happy with Rock Auto prices and selection. Only issue is that parts may ship from different warehouses, incurring seperate shipping charges.

I love rockauto. And if you figure out how to use the "choose for me to minimize cost" option, you can get around a lot of the shipping expenses. You check that box, then choose any parts alternates you're OK with and add to cart. As you add things to the cart, it automatically picks the lowest cost option, including shipping expense. I just got a box full of starter solenoids for old fords, air filters and cabin air filters for our Nissan and Toyota, some bulbs and other odds and ends. $84 shipped.

Heres what Rock Auto says about selling old wiper blades when I asked if they sold old stock:

No, unless you're buying a closeout product, our wiper blades are new, regular stock inventory.

The real reason why our prices are so much cheaper than the local part store is probably because we have a lot less overhead than they do.

Regards,

Mike B.
RockAuto Customer Service

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: marine65

Yes, they can, albeit more slowly. If you store them in a garage or shed they go bad faster than storing them indoors. Even though UV and pressure against the glass are big enemies, changing temperatures and uncontrolled humid/dry cycles tend to deteriorate rubber. Natural rubber blades will be more susceptible than silicone.

Agreed, they will last longer out of the elements.

I like the Trico Neoform Beam blades in the winter but feel there a bit pricey to use all year so in the summer I use AC Delco blades, get them at Amazon for less than $5 a piece and free shipping with Prime. When not in use I store them in the original package indoors. I just finished two winters and they are working like new. Don't forget to keep an old pair in your vehicle for emergencies, never know when one will fail while its pouring and you away from home.

I replaced the inserts on my Mazda (the originals lasted 2.5 years) with some no-name silicone inserts from Malaysia ordered on eBay. They were 24" so they are cut to fit (you're out of luck if you need one longer than 24"). After six months they are still working extremely well. If they hold up at least a year they were well worth the $7 I paid for the pair, but silicone inserts should lat a least a couple of years. Experiment successful, I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back