Went with the $48.88 Wal-Mart value battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the factory battery in our 2012 Corolla. I took a chance, it's made by Johnson's controls, has more CCA's than the old one 490 to 390. The old one seemed like it was leaking out the top vents, I was always cleaning the terminals. I think a basic battery is more than sufficient for this car.

Good job. Must be the same battery that's in the 2012 Camry since it's leaking around the vent caps. What a mess that thing is. For $3.50 WM has a battery protection package where they install battery saver rings and put some nice thick grease on them.

Sounds good. I have one cranking my F150.
laugh.gif

What brand was your old battery? I've heard good things about native Japanese brands (Panasonic, Yuasa, etc) but your car may be Canadian or ???

Originally Posted By: eljefino
laugh.gif

What brand was your old battery? I've heard good things about native Japanese brands (Panasonic, Yuasa, etc) but your car may be Canadian or ???

It should be a Panasonic....the Toyota OE batteries in Japanese manufactured vehicles have excellent Panasonic batteries. Unavailable in the US. I have gotten 6-7 years out of more than 5 of them.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I had a WM battery last longer than oem Toyota. Best batt I ever had was an oem ac delco that lasted 8 years

Their value battery is a new battery. Just came out. I believe part of the reason it's so cheap is that it only has a one year warranty.

I've used several on family vehicles. No problems. Some of them do weap a little around caps I just mix up some baking soda in a water bottle and rinse the tops off now and then when I do oil changes.

Don't blame you at all. For that price, if it lasts 3-4 years or so, you will not be talking bad about an expensive POS you bought and paid lots for. We will simply say that you got your monies worth out of the battery.

Originally Posted By: Doog
laugh.gif

It should be a Panasonic....the Toyota OE batteries in Japanese manufactured vehicles have excellent Panasonic batteries. Unavailable in the US. I have gotten 6-7 years out of more than 5 of them.

All true, but a lot of Corollas are made in Mississippi now.

Will be watching to see how these batteries work out. Price is right.

Last year I had to replace a battery after 6+ years use and the price at the local auto parts store chain was $135.

I got a larger battery with better CCA at Costco for $73 and a 100% replacement policy for 42 months. It was manufactured 2+ months prior to my purchase which I thought was OK. So far... so good!

Thinking about PM for my wife's Altima and using one.
And maybe replacing my Interstate that is from 3/2008 in my truck. No issues yet.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Good job. Must be the same battery that's in the 2012 Camry since it's leaking around the vent caps. What a mess that thing is. For $3.50 WM has a battery protection package where they install battery saver rings and put some nice thick grease on them.
For a buck and a half you can do that yourself.

I've always had good luck with Walmart's batteries. I've got an Everstart Maxx in my truck that's over 5 years old now and still going strong. I certainly wouldn't have any problem buying another battery from Walmart, although we have a Costco membership now so I may go there next time I need one.

Factory battery in my corolla said excide in small writing, not much else. Wish it was a Panasonic. My corolla was built in Canada though.

laugh.gif

My 2012 Corolla was made in Canada, Excide battery, leaked and caused corrosion.

I just wish I knew why they are able to offer them for that price. Are they manufactured to save money or do they test them and the weaker ones get the Walmart label if there's a fluke in the manufacturing?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I just wish I knew why they are able to offer them for that price. Are they manufactured to save money or do they test them and the weaker ones get the Walmart label if there's a fluke in the manufacturing?

I tested mine with the HF impedance tester and it reported better-than-OE CCA.

Midtronics cautions that their tester will do that with brand-new batteries, too, so it's not a ringing endorsement, just a fair one.

DSC_0002_zpsfbmqafjy.jpg

The top of that case looks as thin as a black Tupperware top. I wonder how many of these will become leakers before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back