Did this cross thread or clog the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Almost had an emergency threading license plate bolts into this:

90B81314-3F69-4ED6-A1DA-E64472A7B9B4_zpsisi8jc6q.jpg

Got the screw in but had to gingerly get it out with a vice grip eating into it, and quite a bit of force. I was worried I'd shear the welds or wrinkle the sheet metal!

They were stainless plate screws from Autozone.

A6BC17AE-9DA7-4ADE-A728-B478A39B626F_zps2mu1xsig.jpg

Note the blue paint on the thread. Could it have "clogged"?

D19D8640-E519-4468-ADA4-81C462A22A15_zpsvnppekbe.jpg

DDDE192F-568B-4E18-BCDF-55B071617CB4_zpsiao3wgxe.jpg

I am worried about screwing into these again. I think I should run a tap through there. Any other suggestions?

Never thought I'd get caught up with something as stupid as a license plate screw...

You got metric thread bots? I think you may have gotten got the wrong thread pitch.
Run a tap though it before going any further. ACE hardware usually has a good selection of SS bolts.

There was probably a bad one in the bunch, get another one but chase the thread first.
Did the original come out easily or is it possible the dealer cross threaded it.

There was no original. This is a rand new Honda OE tailgate after the odyssey was hit. Tried two (different head type and materials) that fit in the other holes, at ACE and they were both M6x1.0, so it's not like one is a 1/4-20 or anything.

Got four shorter SS screws at ace, since it gets worse with depth.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You got metric thread bots? I think you may have gotten got the wrong thread pitch.
Run a tap though it before going any further. ACE hardware usually has a good selection of SS bolts.

^^ this....use some anti seize too.

Yup, if it's the wrong pitch by just a little, it will start ok then bind up as it goes in.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Yup, if it's the wrong pitch by just a little, it will start ok then bind up as it goes in.

No, 3/4 went in perfect. The fourth went way in (they're about 1" long each), but not far enough. It wasn't binding like a wrong pitch bolt.

That's why I was wondering if it was clogged threads.

Found an M6x1 tap at HD, some 1/2" M6x1 SS screws at Ace, and put a bit of moly based anti seize on the threads. Done.

Still it was odd as to why.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Kuato

No, 3/4 went in perfect. The fourth went way in (they're about 1" long each), but not far enough. It wasn't binding like a wrong pitch bolt.

That's why I was wondering if it was clogged threads.

Found an M6x1 tap at HD, some 1/2" M6x1 SS screws at Ace, and put a bit of moly based anti seize on the threads. Done.

Still it was odd as to why.

Thanks!

That IS weird...must have been the contamination you pointed out in the picture.

The steel threaded boss is harder than the SS bolt, and it could have had a burr which could have become hardened post welding. As per Trav and others, run a tap into it and use a new bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back