Auto-Rx ..... SNAKE OIL or a real additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about Auto-Rx. It seems like it used to get lots of good reviews years ago, but not so much anymore.

I'll just stick with Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam for cleanups.

I've never used it and I can't speak for its effectiveness so take this with a grain of salt but where they not giving the stuff to people for free in exchange for recommending it? I know the stuff use to be very popular on the forums but I've never seen any before and afters that impressed me.

I remember one time a member on this forum used it for 3 OCI's and I didn't see any noticeable difference.

That pic looks like somebody went at it with a can of Brake-Kleen, "look at the results"!!!!
smirk.gif

I think there are dirty (sludged) engines where it works and others where it does not. It can also clean transmissions.

And there is a new formula as of a year or two ago.

If you try it you need to follow the instructions if you want the best results.

And you need to be patient. Cleaning a heavily sludged engine is not something you want to happen in a weekend.

It works as advertised. The problem is that it works very slow and most people have an attention span that does not do slow. You also have to follow directions, something else that many find difficult or impossible to handle. On top of that the owner/inventor is very cut and dry about his product, how it works and what it can and can not do. Some people find it difficult to deal with him. He is not a marketing person but a chemist and not a patient one, either.

Some people that have a negative opinion have never used the product or have used it for the incorrect purpose or have expected it to fix a mechanical problem. Other negative opinions come from those that know everything, even things that no one else knows.

Auto-Rx has had it's ups and downs with BITOG but all that has not been because of the quality of the actual product itself.

I actually administrated a wide scale test within a taxi fleet with excellent results. The mechanics did what the product was and they are the ones that measured and recorded the results.

One other thing about Auto-Rx. It's probably not required by many owner/drivers because they just don't keep their cars long enough and are not interested in doing something like maintenance doses just to keep their engine in better shape for the next owner.

If you have a sludge problem and Auto-Rx does not "fix" it then it was beyond the realm of help other than a mechanical repair. In other words, it's worth the expense and effort before tearing down or selling your ride.

As much as much as people talked it up, there were an equal # of people who maligned it.

dnewton ran some before and after compression readings on a taurus and it seemed to make a difference.

That seemed to matter little to some who insisted that if it didn't clean up the underside of a valve cover (non 'working' part of the engine) it clearly did nothing.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That pic looks like somebody went at it with a can of Brake-Kleen, "look at the results"!!!!
smirk.gif

Yes.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
smirk.gif

Those pic talk it all. You can see the heavy bovine all around...
smirk.gif

If it worked that way, it wouldn't have that many bad reviews with the 2nd and 3rd treatments that did do nothing. Wasn't such a product that the owner have paid a lot of people to give good false reviews around the net? Including some later confessions ...

Before you buy it ask about the money back guarantee, they no longer offer.
lol.gif

There are superior products that really work and do have a real money back guarantee that cost less than half.

The theory behind this product is that it's an ester and esters are highly polar. The thinking is that the esters will seek to bond to the metal parts and will displace deposits in the process.
I've run a few doses of ARX through a few engines.
You can absolutely see results.
I followed the instructions to the letter, which include avoiding syn oil when using a cleaning dose of ARX.
The company head used to be a site sponsor and some members of the time took delight in baiting him, which was easy since he always rose to the bait. One member claimed to have been comped cases of ARX in return for his writing nice things about it on this site, but he's long gone and that claim was never independently verified either way.
This is at least a safe product that will do no harm, which may not be the case with certain others touted as having strong cleaning performance.
These days, if I had an engine that was so heavily sludged as to be near its end unless it could be cleaned out, I'd probably try Kreen as a first resort.
In an engine in needed of a little TLC, maybe with a seeping RMS, I'd try something a little less extreme first, like ARX.

I tried Auto-rx on my 98 Sienna. I had removed the valve cover before and after the treatment. I didn't see any noticeable difference in the cleaning ability of it.

I would just use an oil known for it's cleaning ability.

Well quite an interesting back story. A chemist who is out front and doing PR on his product.

And good to hear that it does not harm. It would suck to dislodge a flake of varnish rather than disolve and hit a bearing.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It works as advertised. The problem is that it works very slow and most people have an attention span that does not do slow. You also have to follow directions, something else that many find difficult or impossible to handle. On top of that the owner/inventor is very cut and dry about his product, how it works and what it can and can not do. Some people find it difficult to deal with him. He is not a marketing person but a chemist and not a patient one, either.

Some people that have a negative opinion have never used the product or have used it for the incorrect purpose or have expected it to fix a mechanical problem. Other negative opinions come from those that know everything, even things that no one else knows.

Auto-Rx has had it's ups and downs with BITOG but all that has not been because of the quality of the actual product itself.

I actually administrated a wide scale test within a taxi fleet with excellent results. The mechanics did what the product was and they are the ones that measured and recorded the results.

One other thing about Auto-Rx. It's probably not required by many owner/drivers because they just don't keep their cars long enough and are not interested in doing something like maintenance doses just to keep their engine in better shape for the next owner.

If you have a sludge problem and Auto-Rx does not "fix" it then it was beyond the realm of help other than a mechanical repair. In other words, it's worth the expense and effort before tearing down or selling your ride.

My experience also; I've cleaned up a couple of used cars that I bought that hadn't had proper maintenance.

One example - over the 1500 mile treatment distance on one vehicle with ARX, the oil came out as black as I have ever seen it in any car before or since. I repeated the ARX and again it was very very dark. Subsequent short OCIs cleaned it up to the point that it barely darkened over a 3k OCI. So it seemed that it did some cleaning.

However to be fair, there's no data to compare vs short OCIs or any other additive. I'd use it again though, as it does not do harm to an engine.

Oh yeah and
lol.gif
for this statement, truer words have not been spoken:

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It works as advertised. The problem is that it works very slow and most people have an attention span that does not do slow. You also have to follow directions, something else that many find difficult or impossible to handle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The theory behind this product is that it's an ester and esters are highly polar. The thinking is that the esters will seek to bond to the metal parts and will displace deposits in the process.
I've run a few doses of ARX through a few engines.
You can absolutely see results.
I followed the instructions to the letter, which include avoiding syn oil when using a cleaning dose of ARX.
The company head used to be a site sponsor and some members of the time took delight in baiting him, which was easy since he always rose to the bait. One member claimed to have been comped cases of ARX in return for his writing nice things about it on this site, but he's long gone and that claim was never independently verified either way.
This is at least a safe product that will do no harm, which may not be the case with certain others touted as having strong cleaning performance.
These days, if I had an engine that was so heavily sludged as to be near its end unless it could be cleaned out, I'd probably try Kreen as a first resort.
In an engine in needed of a little TLC, maybe with a seeping RMS, I'd try something a little less extreme first, like ARX.

That's Baby Wipes Lanolin Esters. Should smell good when hot!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Most pics posted on BITOG do not show the same results

Exactly. I don't doubt the product cleans. I've had Mobil 1 clean (as evidenced by significant soft carbon deposit build-up in multiple oil filters) however the visible results were FAR less dramatic.

The pic posted in the OP is not, IMHO, the result of the type of cleaning this product does. There is significant cleaning on surfaces that do not see oil flow. The product is not going to do that. This picture looks like somebody took a can of cleaner to it like carb cleaner, brake kleen.....etc and all that does is undermine the credibility of product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back