wearing latex or latex free rubber gloves when changing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people wear rubber gloves when changing their oil? I was thinking about trying a pair, but I'm concerned about the glove melting a little when I touch hot engine parts or hot oil. Any thoughts?

I have a friend who is an excellent mechanic, but does not want to look like one in off-hours. He wears latex gloves whenever he does any mechanical job, mostly to keep clean.

It also keeps some carcinogens from absorbing into the body through the skin.

I wear latex gloves when I change my oil. If I wear a long sleeve shirt at the same time, there is no need to wash my hands and arms after an oil change. I've touched hot oil and filters with no problems. If you are talking about the rubber chemical type gloves, they are more cumbersome to use.

I use nitrile gloves when I work on my car and have never had an issue.

I've heard that latex isn't recommended for oil based products.

Rubber should be ok too.

I use nitrile a lot for nasty jobs. I work with solvents a lot at work and I realized that I was absorbing this stuff though my skin. Once you get used to them, they don't hinder dexterity at all. It's great to change a brake line and have clean hands when your done.

quote:

Originally posted by CincyGTS:
I use nitrile gloves when I work on my car and have never had an issue.

Rubber should be ok too.

confused.gif
Rubber is latex.

I wear them, makes it easier to clean up and I get a better grip on the filter when removing it.

Nitrile are nice, a little more durable than latex, a little more money. I usually get several uses out of a set of disposable gloves (I'm cheap).
wink.gif
Pull them off inside-out so the sweat dries, then roll them outside-out and blow into the cuff like a balloon to straighten out the fingers next time you use them.

I have been using some Purple Nitrile Exam Gloves I bought at Wal-Mart. Little more expensive than latex, but more durable. When changing oil, I wear a heavy chemical resistant glove over them, then when I need dexterity and grip, like removing or installing the oil filter, the Purple Nitrile gloves work well. Bought them in the section next where latex gloves are sold. I always spill some oil, or oil drips on the frame or floor. I have found a product called Awesome I got at Dollar Tree easily removes the oil, but it very hard on my skin. These gloves have saved my hands.

quote:

Yeah, you might get your car pregnant.
tongue.gif

Disposable latex gloves will probably rip or tear before breaking down from contact with oil. You can use polyurethane gloves. They aren't as stretchy as latex gloves and wrinkle more. They work well if you have a latex contact allergy.

PS: not all rubber is natural latex rubber. There are also silicone and urethane "rubbers." Rubber is just very generic term for any rubber-like substance -- like the scrambled eggs I had for breakfast.

Correct me if I am wrong but does not oil attack latex.

Second, even on a cold engine I do not find it wise to wear rubber so close to heat sources.

All I envision is a nasty skin graft after weeks of pain.

Overkill vision yes but sorry.

Latex is for surgical-medical applications not for us here.

So break out them mechanics gloves
smile.gif

Read this about USED ENGINE OIL

quote:

HIGHLIGHTS: Used mineral-based crankcase oil is also called used engine oil. Exposure to this oil can occur when you change the oil of your car or another type of engine. Exposure to very high levels of used oil can cause skin rashes, headaches and tremors. Used oil has been found in at least 85 of the 1,416 National Priorities List sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Mike.

I 100% agree.

Used motor oil is carcinogenic.

Surgical latex is not the best option that is all.

More appropriate products are out there it is just naming the correct ones is outside my knowledge.

latex is perfectly fine for oil, i use them daily for working around oil and grease. if they do tear it's no big deal you just put on another glove. if you need more durability then get nitrile gloves or thicker latex gloves. I have never had a latex glove melt in hot oil and i don't do welding or grab onto exhaust parts with them either. i can't figure out where this fear of heat is coming from, no rubber glove (that you are using underhood) is going to protect you from heat but they all melt at much higher temps than your skin burns at.
if you are using solvents then you need different gloves, generally butyl rubber gloves are best, those are the thick black rubber gloves. nitrile and latex gloves will not stand up to acetone and many other solvents.
mechanics gloves (the leather/cloth type) offer no protection from chemicals, in fact they will become saturated and continue to expose chemicals to your skin long after you have handled them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back