Ford Camshaft Synchronizer Failure + Engine Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears the Ford 3.0L Vulcan engines are known for the camshaft synchronizers failing, which in the worst case can cause the oil pump to stop and damage the engine. I noticed a few other Ford engines use this camshaft synchronizer design so I was curious, is the camshaft synchronizer's shaft typically used to drive the oil pump? Does this problem affect other Ford engines in the same way?

Also, does anyone know what are the typical failure modes for this part? It appears that the bushings start going bad, which leads to play in the shaft and then causing the gear to slowly get chewed up. Would preventative maintenance be that owners should periodically lubricate the synchronizer? You can pop the cap and put a few drops of oil into the assembly, which lubricates the bushings.

I checked my synchronizer on my 2008 Ford Ranger for the first time @ 160,000 kms (owned since new) and everything looked good, but as preventative maintenance I'll be checking and lubricating this part more often.

Here's a good article on this failure:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/camshaft_position_sensor.shtml

The Vulcan camshaft syncro is left overs from the old ignition distributor days. Usually it will squeak or chirp before failing.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The Vulcan camshaft syncro is left overs from the old ignition distributor days. Usually it will squeak or chirp before failing.

+1
These things can fail but failures don't seem all that common.
I know that our '97 Aerostar 3.0 went 175K from new in our hands with never a peep from this part.

Correct. They sound almost exactly like a belt chirping.

The only seized engine due to a failed syncro drive gear I've seen was from an aftermarket unit. The syncro was still free, but the cheap Chinese gear teeth were eaten up.

Originally Posted By: nobb

I checked my synchronizer on my 2008 Ford Ranger for the first time @ 160,000 kms (owned since new) and everything looked good, but as preventative maintenance I'll be checking and lubricating this part more often.

If you are worried about it why not simply do a preemptive replacement.

Originally Posted By: Doog

It doesn't seem like there's sense in doing that if it isn't showing signs of failure anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: Doog

It doesn't seem like there's sense in doing that if it isn't showing signs of failure anytime soon.

That attitude can change if you are ever stranded in the middle of nowhere and the nearest Motorcraft replacement is a couple of days out.
I bought a Motocraft unit from RockAuto a few months ago for ~$100. As noted, they USUALLY give a few chirps before they fail, so you usually have a little time. They can be replaced by most novice wrench-turners and it's cheap insurance. Avoid the aftermarket units.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Correct. They sound almost exactly like a belt chirping.

The only seized engine due to a failed syncro drive gear I've seen was from an aftermarket unit. The syncro was still free, but the cheap Chinese gear teeth were eaten up.

Yup they sound just like a bad belt. Have sold more than a few to independent shops and quotes a bunch to DIY'ers, and new techs with no Ford experience, only to have them return the belt and say it is defective.

good info for sure! my brother-in-law has a 2xxx ranger 3.0 with over 200,000 miles, will look into that! better safe than sorry$$$$$

I must have been lucky. I never heard a peep or chirp from mine. I sent my Aerostar to the junkyard with the original with 212K+ miles on it.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Always get the Motorcraft synchronizer, have seen tons of issues with the aftermarket ones.

01.gif
For parts like that OE is always the way to go!

Other Fords can have the same issue, but it is definitely more pronounced on the 3.0L Vulcan compared to others. My cousin had to replace the cam synchro in his OHV 4.0L, but that was with over 230K or so on the engine.

My 3.0 truck is at 180K miles and is on synchro #3. The factory one made it to a little over 60K, the next one a little over 80K. The first time it went out, the main symptom was screeching/chirping. The next time, it was bucking and stumbling, but with no noise. Symptoms vary. Either way, you generally have a lot of warning that something is up. People who manage to trash their engine over this issue are generally oblivious to several warning signs.

Considering the pain in the [censored] location, I wouldn't bother pulling it out just to check it. I would just replace it with a Motorcraft replacement when it shows signs of an issue. They are easy enough to get a hold of. Just don't use a cheap Dorman replacement. Motorcraft only. The Dorman ones were known on Ranger and Taurus forums to fail in as little as 10K miles.

I wouldn't worry too much about this issue. It's aggravating and I wish it wasn't a problem with this engine family, but it's also not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back