Acana (pet food) changes formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feed my dogs Acana Pacifica. Last time they changed the formula, it wasn't that significant but this new change I won't accept.

Before June 2012

Boneless salmon, salmon meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, whitefish meal*, sweet potatoes, salmon oil, sun-cured alfalfa, boneless herring, boneless flounder, natural fish flavors, pumpkin, turnip greens, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, apples, organic kelp, cranberries, blueberries, juniper berries, black currants, chicory root, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, lavender flowers, summer savory, rosemary.

(June 15 2012 to Spring 2016)

Boneless salmon*, salmon meal, herring meal, whitefish meal, green peas, red lentils,boneless herring*,boneless flounder*, herring oil, field beans, canola oil, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, natural fish flavor, whole apples*, whole pears*, pumpkin*, butternut squash*, parsnips*, carrots*, spinach greens*, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary, plus premium vitamins and minerals. * DELIVERED FRESH

Spring 2016 - WILD ATLANTIC

Whole mackerel*, whole herring*, whole redfish*, silver hake*, mackerel meal, herring meal, whole green peas, red lentils, pinto beans, pollock meal, cod meal, catfish oil, chickpeas, green lentils, whole yellow peas, herring oil, sun-cured alfalfa, yellowtail flounder*, natural fish flavor, sunflower oil, dried kelp, freeze-dried cod liver, whole pumpkin*, whole butternut squash*, kale*, spinach*, mustard greens*, collard greens*, turnip greens*, carrots*, *Red Delicious apples, *Bartlett pears, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Maybe their USA plant is fully operational now, hence the change.

I've been busy and wasn't aware they opened up a US facility, perhaps it was started when half their main Canadian plant shut down due to 1 of 2 ovens died and needed to be replaced but took months.

As a fellow dog owner, I encourage you to write and express your reasons why you will no longer buy their product. You might just me one, but others are behind you and the firm knows that.

With the added probiotics, fruits and vegetables, it doesn't seem like they are cheapening the formula. I bet the new formula costs more. The trend in pet foods seems to be towards this type of change. But some pets' digestive systems can't take the multitude of ingredients.

Too much of trying to reinvent the wheel.

I am not sure I see anything wrong with the latest formula.

I feed 3 dogs with combined weight of 300 lbs. I look for quality dog food I can afford. Right now it's BJs chicken and brown rice. I try and avoid meat by products and corn.

Last edited:
there are some pretty poor pet foods out there + few pet owners have an idea of how bad some big name foods are. having a smaller dog a wonderful spunky Bischone its easy + not costly to feed him well. people having several dogs can get $$$$

This new product, Wild Atlantic, is a new product and should not be confused with the Pacifica product, which is completely different.

As somebody else theorized, this new Wild Atlantic product is US-only, and does not appear on the Canadian Acana site. It is made in the US facility. Both products however are present on the US site:

http://acana.com/our-foods/regionals/?lang=usa

Which show the following ingredients:

Pacifica:
Originally Posted By: Acana

Boneless salmon*, salmon meal, herring meal, whitefish meal, green peas, red lentils,boneless herring*,
boneless flounder*, herring oil, field beans, canola oil, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, natural fish flavor,
whole apples*, whole pears*, pumpkin*, butternut squash*, parsnips*, carrots*, spinach greens*,
cranberries, blueberries, kelp, chicory root, juniper berries, angelica root, marigold flowers, sweet
fennel, peppermint leaf, lavender, rosemary, plus premium vitamins and minerals. * DELIVERED FRESH

VITAMINS, MINERALS, SUPPLEMENTS
vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate,
dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

Wild Atlantic:
Originally Posted By: Acana

ACANA Wild Atlantic features an unmatched variety of local ingredients that are raised or fished by people we know and trust, deemed “fit for human consumption”, and then delivered to our Kentucky DogStar® kitchens fresh or raw each day!

Whole mackerel*, whole herring*, whole redfish*, silver hake*, mackerel meal, herring meal, whole green peas, red lentils, pinto beans, pollock meal, cod meal, catfish oil, chickpeas, green lentils, whole yellow peas, herring oil, sun-cured alfalfa, yellowtail flounder*, natural fish flavor, sunflower oil, dried kelp, freeze-dried cod liver, whole pumpkin*, whole butternut squash*, kale*, spinach*, mustard greens*, collard greens*, turnip greens*, carrots*, *Red Delicious apples, *Bartlett pears, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, mixed tocopherols (preservative), chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rosehips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

* delivered fresh or raw

OUR ONLY SUPPLEMENTS: ZINC, COPPER.
OUR ONLY PRESERVATIVE: VITAMIN E (MIXED TOCOPHEROLS).

OP: If you prefer the Canadian product, I would continue to seek it out.

How does everyone feel about "grain free" pet food? Is this just a current trend? I've read good and bad about it.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I see nothing wrong and plenty of beneficial ingredients if the fish is properly preserved in the Atlantic formula.

I agree. It actually looks improved with even more nutrients.

I would expect animals in the wild would eat more WHOLE fish or whatever they caught.

Not sure about the veggies and such. But I don't see too many animals catching boneless critters in the wild.

So I'm not sure what's so bad about the new or different formula/product?

Originally Posted By: powayroger
As a fellow dog owner, I encourage you to write and express your reasons why you will no longer buy their product. You might just me one, but others are behind you and the firm knows that.

I did. I sent them a email, since I couldn't call since it's the weekend/out side their office hours, asking if they would be a choice of getting the Canadian version.

It wasn't just the Fish formula but all of them are changing.

The older versions already had fruits and vegs.

For me pinto beans is a "debbie downer" you can buy 50 pound bags of pinto beans at Smart and Final for 20 bucks.

Quote:
Does everyone feel about "grain free" pet food? Is this just a current trend? I've read good and bad about it.

I don't think its a trend. For that grain as well as corn is one of the top reasons why dogs have health issues. Information is knowledge is power.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Originally Posted By: powayroger

I did. I sent them a email, since I couldn't call since it's the weekend/out side their office hours, asking if they would be a choice of getting the Canadian version.

It wasn't just the Fish formula but all of them are changing.

The older versions already had fruits and vegs.

For me pinto beans is a "debbie downer" you can buy 50 pound bags of pinto beans at Smart and Final for 20 bucks.

Quote:
Does everyone feel about "grain free" pet food? Is this just a current trend? I've read good and bad about it.

I don't think its a trend. For that grain as well as corn is one of the top reasons why dogs have health issues. Information is knowledge is power.

Did you even read Overkills response?

Originally Posted By: 285south
Yes I did.

Then I would assume that despite the new American product, since the Canadian product you were previously purchasing is still indicated on the American website, that it should not be hard to obtain. It will of course be distributor-specific. Some may replace the Canadian product with the American one and it may be cheaper for them to procure, however I see no mention of it no longer being available state-side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back