cost/time estimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Mazda Protege 5 that needs a new transmission. Third gear has grenaded. I'd like opinions on the following questions:
1. I have some automotive skills, and have R&R'd components before, but not a transmission. Is this something that a novice can do with a book for guidance?
2. How many shop hours might this take?
3. Should I look for a shop that specifically does transmissions for an R&R?
4. What might a rebuild at a transmission shop cost?
My goal is to get it roadworthy and then put a for sale sign on it.
Thank you in advance for your input.

THESE ARE GUESSES:
1) You likely can but the FWD layout probably means the engine and transmission come out together. If so, it's a bigger job.
2) 6 to 8 total
3) YES
4) manual trans, yes? (3rd gear grenaded)..depends on how thoroughly you replace other parts. I'd bet ~$3,500.
5) Good luck to you and the buyer to whom I'm sure you'll disclose all the rebuild details. KIra

Sounds like a call for a junkyard transmission. I checked my local craigslist and the price for removing and replacing a generic transmission was in the $600-$700 range. Might be more or less in your area.

Manual or automatic? If it's a manual, get a junkyard unit and swap it over. Throw a new clutch in there since everything's already apart. With the right tools, that should take about 8 hours or so. A manual transmission can generally come right out the bottom of the car. They tend to be a bit more compact than a comparable automatic.

It's an automatic. I'm of three minds. One is a used transmission, a rebuilt w/3 year unlimited mileage warranty, shop rebuild. Problem is,the car as junk is worth $2-400. A working transmission = more $ at sale. Of course, a transmission with a guarantee makes an easier sale, but not for more $. Or I could keep is as a third car.

Find a used transmission in a salvage yard. A transmission shop would charge more than the car is worth to rebuild it. You will need a shop press and the arbor plates in the least to tackle this yourself.

Let's say it's $3500 to get it running.
Look in your area for another $3500 car. Think carefully about getting yours running vs. buying a runner.

I'd think rebuilding a transmission would be a very involved and intricate job. I'd wager the cost of getting it fixed vs the cost of a replacement car. What kind've shape is the car in?

Chilton calls for 8 hours and Motor says 6.6.

You can do it yourself if you keep your head about you and keep your eyes open. All too often I've seen the results of people who try a repair themselves only to destroy something during tear down because they missed a bolt, wire or linkage and they started ramming/jamming until it comes free.

Things to consider- you will likely need to support the engine. There are fancy fixtures out there that mount to the fenders/upper radiator support, or you can fashion your own. I make my own when the need arises.

Last one I did looked like this:

Also you'll either need to make a pan for your floor jack or rent a transmission jack. Years back, I fabbed a steel pan to take the place of the lifting cup/pad on my 2 ton Lincoln jack- works very good for most transmissions. People will talk about how hard it is to do these things while working from the floor using jack stands and not a hoist... bunk. That's really all I've ever done. Both at home and the first shop I worked at. Now that I have my own shop we don't have one because it would tie up too much permanent floor space that we may need, depending one what sort of job comes in (ie: big tractor or combine), but a lift is in the plans... So if I can do it, the hard way so can you.

Are you planning on selling it because of the failure, or just wanting to move on with another vehicle? If because of the failure, you should reconsider. If the car is serviceable (like not rotting away), meets your needs and you're willing to drive it to it's grave, a repair can be a very cost effective thing to do. If you're willing to drive it till it drops, then do not consider it's value. Value should be considered the most heavily when when the plan is trading/selling in the future to move on to another vehicle.

edit: I wanted to add that having two floor jacks makes it much nicer to lower the subframe. It can be done with one jack, but it's a pain.

Last edited:
I would not put a dime into this car.

By the time that you put 2500 dollars in to it, you may get someone offering you 2500 for the whole car, your time is worth nothing?

Trade it for something else, or sell it on ebay as is.

Just throw it up for sale as is, the cost of having a transmission put in it will probably cost more than the car is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back