Nexcel oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple threads on this already. Here's one.
wink.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3878964/90_Second_oil_change?...._Cast

What's to like about it?
A high cost high content solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Reminds me of things like TRX tires and proprietary operating systems for microcomputers.
We have a well-defined standard for oil changes.
Just because it's an ancient method that doesn't make it any less reasonable or cost and time effective.
Castrol would love to have any OEM adopt its proprietary oil and filter change system.
The owners would learn to love it a lot less every time that had to pony up the cost to have the service done, particularly since there'd be no net time savings involved.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What's to like about it?
Reminds me of things like TRX tires and proprietary operating systems for microcomputers.
Just because it's an ancient method that doesn't make it any less reasonable or cost and time effective.
Castrol would love to have any OEM adopt its proprietary oil and filter change system.
The owners would learn to love it a lot less every time that had to pony up the cost to have the service done, particularly since there'd be no net time savings involved.

Easy, oil change, easy recycle. Most people don't do it themselves, but you could probably treat like batteries as far as core exchanges.
This makes a nice ship able supply chain. That can be palletized and refurbished, with valuable base stocks returned.

I think that's great. But only if they could match or at least get close to the price of oil and filter deals at the auto stores.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What's to like about it?

Easy, oil change, easy recycle. Most people don't do it themselves, but you could probably treat like batteries as far as core exchanges.
This makes a nice ship able supply chain. That can be palletized and refurbished, with valuable base stocks returned.

All of those things are already in place. I don't know how you'd make an oil change any easier than it already is.
The difference is that you're looking at a much more costly and higher content package.
Not sure where you'd find any advantage, except for the manufacturer of the packaged oil and filter.

I would pay more for the convenience, of not having to crawl under a vehicle and handle and transport used oil in containersthat can and do spill, leak and make a mess. This would remove a potential health and environmental hazard.
Most people are not enthusiast, and got to lube outlets or dealers for routine maintenance. I can see them caring less as long as the vehicle performs to its service life.
Look around. Cars and trucks are becoming more or less the same. Looked at the midsize SUVs market. The unadmitted station wagon is back. They all have near identical profiles , it doesn't matter they have become an appliance.
Look at sedans. = appliance
Truck= tool or appliance.
My father is a tall man, he chooses vehicles not by brand, but by interior configuration..appliance.
You need 4 wed because of weather or living off the grid and you have a low water crossing. That's a feature, of an appliance.

Just because this comes out does not mean all vehicles will go to it or that traditional oil changes will go away. Change is incremental, but change always comes.

Maybe I'm a little slow, but I find that the convenience of a DIY oil change is hard to beat.
Cost is nugatory as well.
Oil disposal?
No biggie, since the same jug that didn't leak when you brought it home full of fresh oil won't leak when you transport it full of drain oil either.
I also take issue with your assertion that vehicles are becoming pretty much the same.
Drive a few of these somewhat similar looking vehicles and you'll understand the difference.
They come in many different flavors, as they always have.
The sheet metal and plastic merely adorn (often badly) the important elements that exist within.
You are right in stating that a vehicle is a tool or an appliance, but as with any tool or appliance, some are more satisfactory to use than others.
A vehicle is intended to take you where you need or want to go and carry whatever passengers and gear you may need to carry along with you.
Some of these appliances are a whole lot more entertaining to drive than are others and you may as well enjoy the drives that you have to make.

You and I are probably pretty careful and successful at performing oil changes and getting the used oil to a proper disposal/ recycling site.
Unfortunately, a lot of these jugs of used oil are getting into dumpsters and landfills, or worse. If we all had 100-200 bucks in a core for our oil changes, it is unlikely we would "lose it" .
I appreciate your point of view and have done a lot of maintenance and modifications myself, sometimes my paying career gets in the way and I let the dealer do it.
To me this technology is a very easy way to do things. I like not having to clean up a mess, I have limited storage and to be honest, my garage has turned into a gym,. From a tool room over the past several years. I no longer horde oil or agonize over brands, I get my oil when I need it. This wouldn't effect me much.

A hundred or two core charge would never play with either retailers or shops, but a twenty or thirty buck one probably would and would be enough to keep most of these things out of the common waste stream.
I'm also not too sure that shops or retailers would want to accommodate stacks of these things laying around awaiting pickup.
An aftermarket infrastructure would develop, very much as one has for refilled toner cartridges.
I don't think that this idea is going anywhere, although I could well be wrong.

If the "core" has to go back to be emptied, cleaned, and refilled, then all of the sealing components and surfaces will need to be reviewed, repaired, rejuvinated/replaced.

That's going to be costly, and I agree encourage an aftermarket.

Will require motor vehicle manufacturers to redo their engines to dry sump technology.

The "housing" in the engine bay that the box slips into will need way more than the normal quick glance to check sealing surfaces, given that at least two of the fittings are going to be at full oil pressure.

Not sure how maintainer friendly a 15-20 pound box at 100C is going to be either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back