Odyssey oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Honda Odyssey. We put about 5k miles a year on it, almost all short trips to school, church, etc. My dealer offers full synthetic oil changes for $24. I plan on changing oil every 5k. Should I stick with the dealer, or use PP or M1 instead?

If you can trust your dealer to put in what you pay for that could work but why a synthetic for 5000 a year what about PYB that is a good oil and sometimes you can get a good deal at wal mart when on roll back. Just watch the Pennzoil leaky jugs
smile.gif

For $24 go with the dealer. Even if they're putting conventional oil in there, your Odyssey will be fine. Just make sure you know enough to recognize and refuse any up-sells they try to drop on you.

Also, take it out on the highway every now and then to make sure it gets up to operating temperatures to get rid of any water that builds up in the oil.

Assuming the dealer is using the right spec oils, and/or Honda oil, Id do it with confidence, especially at those mileage rates.

I once encountered a dealer that didn't use Honda oil for their syn changes... But they used Mobil 1 in the 6-quart boxes.

If theyre giving you M1 0w-20, youre doing fine, especially for $24.

Thing is, that's less than you can get the oil for at WM... So how are they making up for it???

This is my first Honda, so this is my first experience with their dealers in Cincinnati. I got the oil/filter changed and tires rotated for little under $40. I am sure I will get hit up with other "services" at some point in the future.

Originally Posted By: CincyReds
This is my first Honda, so this is my first experience with their dealers in Cincinnati. I got the oil/filter changed and tires rotated for little under $40. I am sure I will get hit up with other "services" at some point in the future.

Yeah you would be lucky if they would "HMU" or hit you up for services that you actually need. Case in point, if they timely told you to replace your ATF cause your transmission could fry due to insufficient lubrication of the 3rd gear like they did many honda and Ody V6s but noooooo, they couldn't remotely be that useful for you now, could theyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back