1999 Taurus, Vulcan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The AX4N was made standard in 2003 for both the Vulcan and the duratec. This is the better version of the transmission but none are perfect. Some older models use it too depending on configuration.

Thank you, exactly what I wanted to know. Currently a 97, 02 and two 06's owned by good friends. And I have recommended a used Taurus to my kids, an awful lot of bang for your used car buck. Of course the kids roll on the ground and foam at the mouth at the mere mention of a Taurus.

I almost spit my morning coffee out laughing at the above statement as I can relate. With a 96 Taurus with just a stereo cassett player I have a few young people who actually ask what is a cassett!!!!

well if they roll on the floor and foam at the mouth , let them walk , my kids had no qualms on their first rides and they had wheels that were dependable
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

My 99 Vulcan 3.0 only has 220,000 miles on it. Started using 5w20 at about 100,000 miles. 5 quarts lasts 5,000 miles. The 99 transaxle had upgrades to fix the problems with the earlier units. I pump out transX fluid every 30,000 and put in fresh. About 6.5 quarts. I usually use 5w20 of what ever is on sale a wally world. This engine isn't picky.

Busy day for me and the 96 Taurus as we started with Tire Rotation at Discount Tires from there went to Wally World and picked up Mercon V transmission fluid and LubeGard , along with Pennzoil Gold and Motorcraft Filter. Dropped the Transmission pan , replaced what came out with fresh Mercon V and a bottle of the LubeGard Platinum as I heard good things about thought I would try it. Got the oil changed next then pulled the instrument cluster out as I needed to replace a few of the instrument panel lights upgrade to some nice LED went with a mixture of Colors and kinda have a WOW factor now for that old Bull. Now I just need to get it washed tomorrow.

I almost bought an ovoid 97 Taurus a few years ago as I always liked the car and they are very cheap compared to some comparable cars from the same era here. Too bad (or good, actually) I decided to check the parts price and specially the availability before buying it, and I discovered why they were so cheap, as there's almost no parts available here in Brazil, either new or used, despite the fact that Ford officially imported and sold Tauruses here from 93 to 98 before replacing them with the Belgium Mondeo.

But the 97 Taurus is still one the most comfortable cars I ever rode, suspension and seat-wise speaking, and almost noiseless too, at least with the Duratec 3.0. Great car.

Motorcraft filters although made by purolater look a lot better than the boss with those restrictive oil slits on the center tube. Sorry i cant get past that issue... Better yet use a fram ultra they are nice filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back