177RG, gear would not extend, elec pump failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, my Cessna 177RG's electric hydraulic pump failed. Upon departure, I selected gear up, and the gear failed to go all the way up, and the "pump running" light remained illuminated.

So, after exiting the traffic pattern, I selected gear down, which did nothing, of course. I shut off the master switch, as that shuts off the pump motor (the breaker is not pull-able) . I then pumped the gear down using the manual hand pump. Having done this many times during annual inspection, I knew instantly that it was working properly, by pump handle feel, the way it unlocks the nose gear and then gets easy. I watched the gear extend and lock into place. That was extremely satisfying!

I then selected the electrical master switch on and I was greeted by 2 green lights (normal, my airplane does not have 3 green lights) and, of course, I was very happy.

So, after an uneventful landing, I decided to take the motor apart and determine what the problem was. It seems one of the brushes had completely failed.

I found that interesting, as the brushes were both in good shape 2 years and about 80 hours ago. It seems to simply have disintegrated. Maybe it was arcing while in use. Don't know. After a bit of cleanup on the lathe, the armature looks to be in good condition and the brushes are easy enough to replace.

I am glad I took the time to re-seal the emergency hand pump and ensure that it worked perfectly. As it was in pretty poor shape originally.

Last edited:
I dont understand the failure. The pump sized for lack of one brush, but the eletro-hydralic "pump running light", was on? Wasn't the gear position light that remained "in transit"? By pump running light you meant gear in transit light?

thumbsup2.gif
Well handled it's what we train for.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
I dont understand the failure. The pump sized for lack of one brush, but the eletro-hydralic "pump running light", was on? Wasn't the gear position light that remained "in transit"? By pump running light you meant gear in transit light?

IIRC (correct me if wrong) the "pump running" light simply indicates voltage to the pump.

Good that you were able to hand pump the gear down and not have to belly-land your Cardinal.
That would have been an expensive event!
Also good on you for having quickly figured out what was going on and for having rebuilt the hand pump to make sure that it would function if needed.
You are well aware that many GA pilots would have done neither, although your mechanical qualifications and experience give you an understanding of the aircraft's systems way beyond what most pilots have.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

IIRC (correct me if wrong) the "pump running" light simply indicates voltage to the pump.

Correct. The red "pump running" light is simply a wire from the solenoid that powers the pump. The pump motor is an incredibly simple, low quality motor.

In fact, it is a hydraulic power pack from an outboard engine's "power trim"

HYC5005%20Power%20Pack.png

Luckily you made a safe landing without any incident.

Your Cardinal is a cream puff after your big restoration project a few years back. You posted pictures of the work you completed.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

No insult to your fine aircraft, but that is probably the last motor I would ever want powering a landing gear. I'm in the marine business, so I know these pumps. I don't think they are fit for use in their current application, let alone a life-or-death situation like a landing gear.

Good show with the emergency pump. You were on the ball.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Cujet

No insult to your fine aircraft, but that is probably the last motor I would ever want powering a landing gear. I'm in the marine business, so I know these pumps. I don't think they are fit for use in their current application, let alone a life-or-death situation like a landing gear.

Good show with the emergency pump. You were on the ball.

Agreed. The motor and pump assembly is a complete joke. In fact, landing gear and hydraulics are often problematic, even with the aerospace grade components on high end jets.

Our new Pilatus PC-12 has electric landing gear actuators. It's a very reliable system. Free of unnecessary linkage, complexity and completely free of hydraulics.

On the PC-12's emergency extension system, there is simply a cable release, that disables the locking system, and spring pressure, coupled with air loads pushes the gear down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Now that's good thinking. A landing gear that defaults to downward position when released.
Usually !!!

That guy Murphy is always around, ready to make life as miserable as possible for even those who train for such events. Thanks for relating your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back