Buying a new or used car/pickup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a list of features that you would not accept on you next new/used vehicle?

For me

CVT
Leather
GDI
any automated driver assist as in braking assist
very low profile tires
automated devices like automated tailgate opener
too many functions on a touch screen with multiple menu interface

I've owned lots of vehicles but tend to keep ones that I like for a longer time. Simple is good.

I will never buy a vehicle that does NOT have an oil pressure gauge; and I don't mean an Idiot light; I mean an oil psi gauge. Water Temp. is a close second.

BTW, I LIKE leather interiors; I guess some things are a matter of personal preference.

We agree on the CVT, GVI, low profile tires and various other failure-prone useless gadgetry that requires dealer service and a $700 minimum troubleshooting for repair.

Last edited:
I just went through this a few months ago. From your list four things I didn't want were CVT, GDI, and any automated driver assist as in braking assist, and low profile tires. Just be ready to take some heat for the CVT and GDI comments.
27.gif

Just a basic vehicle with EFI,and nothing else.That means late 80s and that's it.

I wish more cars had oem oil temp gauges. My 86 300ZX turbo had oil temp,oil pressure,turbo boost,and coolant temp oem gauges. I really loved having an oil temp gauge.

Why would anyone not want the decreased accident risk and decreased insurance premiums that come with driver assistance systems? There's a Luddite button if you want to turn it off anyway!

The only thing that I can think of that would really make me leery would be a radio or climate control system that fully relies on a touch screen...if that goes out your done for. Co-worker had this happen to her previous car. It was $3000 to fix so she traded it.

I like all the new electronic stuff and the more the better. I buy my vehicles with every single option I can get. If and when something breaks down I will worry about it at the time.

I run bigger aftermarket wheels with low profile tires, LED lighting, dark window tint with no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Why would anyone not want the decreased accident risk and decreased insurance premiums that come with driver assistance systems? There's a Luddite button if you want to turn it off anyway!
I learned a few things about the Transit's " traction control" and that it is no good on snow. I can disable it with a few finger pushes. My brother bought a base model "10 Tacoma and it is plain. Just a radio, manual trans and windows A little bigger than a mini truck like the Ranger. Better in terms of durability. Probably find a manual if desired.

Considering the OP drives an 84 Honda and 03 Toyota it's a good bet he'll be able to buy cars that meet his requirements well into the future! OTOH he may want to stash a car or two for the future when there won't be steering wheels!
frown.gif

I don't mind this stuff one bit. First off I find it never breaks but it also allows cars to have a lot more power, better gas mileage, safer, the ride and handling is better and they're silent inside the cabin. Bring on the tech!

My Jeep with 300 hp gets the same gas mileage as my first car - a 93 hp K-car.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't mind this stuff one bit. First off I find it never breaks but it also allows cars to have a lot more power, better gas mileage, safer, the ride and handling is better and they're silent inside the cabin. Bring on the tech!

This
My current Accord V6 gets the same mileage as my previous 2010 Accord with the 4 banger engine and almost 100 more horsepower

I'd have to say touchscreen for HVAC would be a big turn-off, as would low profile tires. But if I bought new again, I'd be stuck with all the gizmos that come today. No getting around it. The alternative is to buy old cars and have two-three of them kicking around, so that when one breaks one can still get around.

If I could, I am somewhat tempted to buy about 1995. I'm all for clean air, but I'd rather someone else pay for it.
wink.gif
I don't care about having idiot lights; they are unpretentious, unlike the idiot gauges of today (that use filtering so as to not concern anyone actually looking). I'd prefer a manual trans, unless if it was a tow rig of some sort. In that vintage I'd skip ABS; in some ways I'd like to skip power brakes too, although maybe keep power steering. Simple, basic, good feedback to the driver. But a/c would be welcome.

Next vehicles I'll be paying more attention to oversized A pillars causing blind spots. I have been angling my truck more of late so as to get better visibility at certain intersections. I hate it, as it gives every indication of going the wrong way.

I like the real gauges also... My Moms 05 Mercury Grand Marquis has the make believe idiot oil gauge with NO oil light...Another fine idea by Ford!

Great. Another thread of old foggies ranting against modern technology in cars. Get off my lawn!

Last edited:
You will have to get back to the 20th century for something with A pillars that allow you to see whats coming from the side. It is for roll over protection. Keeps the cab from caving in.
Don't even get me started about low profile Tires and rimz.
I would be perfectly fine with a rust free '88 528e
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Originally Posted By: dishdude

This
My current Accord V6 gets the same mileage as my previous 2010 Accord with the 4 banger engine and almost 100 more horsepower

I'm all for computer controlled engine management system, that's for sure. My 4Runner runs much better than my old Ford van with a 302 V8 and the Toyota almost never needs any attention for anything to do with the engine. At 100K I changed the timing belt, water pump and spark plugs along with the coolant and that was it. The Ford required a lot more messing than that and never approached the gas mileage of the Toyota V8.

Technology is great but I like to pick and choose. Some high tech stuff in vehicles is of no interest to me. A co-worker's BMW was totaled by the failure of the i-Drive, that is the cost to replace components from the junk yard exceeded the value of the car. The car developed problems that made it difficult to depend on. It would stop and not restart. A few hours later it would start as if nothing was wrong. He wasted money at the dealer having the system diagnosed without any useful results and the request for even a partial refund was denied. The car was sold to a friend living in TJ just across the border and is now running around with most of the dash and console missing or hacked up.

My list for cars is.
1. No steel wheels
2. No timing belt
3. No turbo
4. No low profile tires.

I didnt kno about GDI engines untill after i bought my malibu since it is one.

No throttle by wire on stick shift cars. TBW by definition wants to allow different power levels depending on the computer's moods. I'll tolerate it on automatic cars only b/c it improves the shifting with rev-matching and should translate to a longer lasting tranny.

I don't mind automatic headlights or DRLs as long as they're easily defeated. My camry has four positions: Head, park, DRL, and Off.

I don't mind PW or PL, particularly if they have a circuit breaker that quickly, and temporarily, disables them if they jam with ice. It keeps the regulators from snapping. I've changed a few regulators-- not fun, but not a crisis.

PS and PB allow the driver to get more done. A manual steer car will have more turns lock-to-lock. A manual brake car has a spongier pedal with more mechanical advantage. You sort of have to wear your seat belt loose so you can slide your butt forward when the brakes start to grab so you can push them harder yet.

A-pillars can be smaller with plenty of crash protection. Beef up the B-pillars for rollovers. If you stripped the headliner and plastic junk off the metal you'd see plenty of room in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back