2006 Explorer 4.6 3V Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is out of a close friend's Explorer. If you're not familiar these 4.6 3 valve engine have a huge problem with the OEM plugs. They tend to break off while being removed.

Champion came to the market with a solution, a better designed, stronger plug. For a period of time it the was the swap to make if you were changing plugs. Ford has improved their design and switching back is the new trend. For the past several months my friend has said he felt like the engine had a light miss and his MPG was worse than usual (which was pretty amazing because it was already terrible). It finally threw a code for Cylinder 1 misfire. I don't know if the tip broke off or burned down. It was still on the other 7 plugs, but the gap had widened considerably. Each plug has that brown dust on it.

25194326361_216cc1f2c0_b.jpg

24991863140_41d58a2963_b.jpg

Did you put anti-seize on the interference fit portion like the TSB says to do? We have had a few people bring their vehicles in just to have our techs pull plugs and do that so they don't have to deal with broken ones in the future.

Too bad NGK doesn't make plugs for this engine. Iridium would also help, so that they last longer and don't need to be changed as often.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Too bad NGK doesn't make plugs for this engine. Iridium would also help, so that they last longer and don't need to be changed as often.

You almost want to change these plugs often. The ones that break off seem to be from people leaving them in until the misfires get to the point the engine is barely able to run.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Did you put anti-seize on the interference fit portion like the TSB says to do? We have had a few people bring their vehicles in just to have our techs pull plugs and do that so they don't have to deal with broken ones in the future.

We did coat the new Motos with anti-seize.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

You almost want to change these plugs often. The ones that break off seem to be from people leaving them in until the misfires get to the point the engine is barely able to run.

Of his stock ones, one is pictured, one or two broke off. I haven't heard much about the OEM plugs leading to misfires. Just lots of people following the maintenance schedule and discovering the serious flaw in Fords design.

These have the exact same issues as the 5.4 3V that started with the 2004 F150's. Plugs break. Symptoms are often misfiring - and its either the coil or the plug.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
These have the exact same issues as the 5.4 3V that started with the 2004 F150's. Plugs break. Symptoms are often misfiring - and its either the coil or the plug.

Well yeah, because they are essentially the same engine with different deck height and stroke
wink.gif
The 2V 6.8L, 5.4L and 4.6L all launched plugs with the 3-thread heads and the 3V engines all had them break off
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Well yeah, because they are essentially the same engine with different deck height and stroke
wink.gif
The 2V 6.8L, 5.4L and 4.6L all launched plugs with the 3-thread heads and the 3V engines all had them break off
grin.gif

the 3 Fords I've owned all were 4.6 DOHC 4v engines. They had 4 threads, and the supercharged Cobra had 8 I believe.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

wink.gif
grin.gif

the 3 Fords I've owned all were 4.6 DOHC 4v engines. They had 4 threads, and the supercharged Cobra had 8 I believe.

Yeah, I've heard the 4-thread 4V heads could also launch plugs but it wasn't as prevalent as it was on the 2V engines.

Is that new Motorcraft plug in the picture above a two piece plug? It looks like it. What is improved about it compared to the original plug? What is the part # on the new plug? Thanks.

Wayne

Some of the older guys here will recount that Champion has always has a terrible reputation for their spark plugs, particularly in the marine and hot rod scene.

I personally have seen too much pathetic performance from Champion plugs. Wouldn't run them in anything.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Is that new Motorcraft plug in the picture above a two piece plug? It looks like it. What is improved about it compared to the original plug? What is the part # on the new plug? Thanks.

Wayne

I don't know the old number but the new plug is SP 514. It is still a two piece. I don't know what the revisions were specifically, checking some Ford Forums, apparently no one else does either.

The Champion was a 1 piece.

I have a 2008 Mustang GT with the older design plugs (the ones that are prone to separate). It has 25,000 miles on it and has never had the plugs out. I probably need to change them out and follow the TSB for anti-seize. I'll probably just "stick" with the MC's (no pun intended)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: wtd

Wayne

I don't know the old number but the new plug is SP 514. It is still a two piece. I don't know what the revisions were specifically, checking some Ford Forums, apparently no one else does either.

The Champion was a 1 piece.

Thanks for the info. I knew the Champion's were a one piece but I have read mixed reviews on them.

My fiancee has a 2007 GT with almost 18,000 miles on it with the factory plugs. I was hoping that Motorcraft would come out with a one piece plug for it but I guess that is too much to ask.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Pathetic. JMO, I would rather break a few on removal as compared to having them "spit out" on the heads with 2 threads.

Hey! Don't exaggerate, it was 3 threads
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: HM12460
Pathetic. JMO, I would rather break a few on removal as compared to having them "spit out" on the heads with 2 threads.

Hey! Don't exaggerate, it was 3 threads
lol.gif

Whimsey

You are correct, where did I come up with 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back