What say ye forum gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello need suggestions please. 2006 F150 5.4 liter 198k and going strong. This truck is new to me. I would like to know opinions on a possible weight change from 5w20 to a 5w30. I know these engines can have cam phaser issues which this one does not. I figure the internals are loose enough to warrant a little thicker oil. But do not want to risk phaser noise from too thick an oil. Or shall I stay with the spec'd 5w20? I will try to stay with motorcraft FL820s and the motorcraft synthetic blend oil. Thank you in advance.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge on the vehicle?

This is what you need: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-105/

The best way to figure out what viscosity of oil you need is to drive the car in the conditions you will use. Then use the oil viscosity that gives you 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM under those circumstances. For some reason very few people are able to get this simple principal correct. I cannot explain further.

"These same rules apply to engines of any age, loose or tight. Just because your engine is old does not mean it needs a thicker oil. It will need a thicker oil only if it is overly worn, whether new or old. Yet the same principals of 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM still apply. In all cases you need to try different grade oils and see what happens. Then choose the correct viscosity. ...Remember that Ferrari uses 75 PSI at 6,000 RPM as the place to test your oil viscosity needs. If your oil gives this value under your driving conditions then your lubrication system has been maximized. Period."

BTW, I have a Driver Information Center with Oil Pressure. Don't be afraid to go outside factory recommendations. They want you to buy a new vehicle as soon as the warranty is up; and could care less about your vehicle.

But do you know what "center" is in psi?

Last edited:
Unfortunately those Ford factory gauges are nothing more than idiot lights. They don't show true oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: daspud
Hello need suggestions please. 2006 F150 5.4 liter 198k and going strong. This truck is new to me. I would like to know opinions on a possible weight change from 5w20 to a 5w30. I know these engines can have cam phaser issues which this one does not. I figure the internals are loose enough to warrant a little thicker oil. But do not want to risk phaser noise from too thick an oil. Or shall I stay with the spec'd 5w20? I will try to stay with motorcraft FL820s and the motorcraft synthetic blend oil. Thank you in advance.

actually when they have cam phaser noise the fix was thicker oil to reduce the noise.

Originally Posted By: Rand

actually when they have cam phaser noise the fix was thicker oil to reduce the noise.

Yep,10W40 via TSB,right?

Use whatever is used in this video.
Here is a million mile Ford 5.4 engine tear down.

Last edited:
If the truck is running good and you do not have any cam phaser issues you my as well stick with your choice of 5w20 oil and filter and whatever change interval you are doing. If you have an issue then address it, if and when it comes up. After 198k on the engine, whatever maintenance was done on the engine must have been sufficient since you have not had any problems. Don't try to fix something that is not broken !!! Drive it and enjoy it.

Nuff said,

xtell

If the 5W-20 is working well for you, then I say stick with it. There's really no need to go to a heavier oil if what you've been doing is working well.

5/30 is fine I have quite a few 5.4's at work they all get the same 76super 5/30 blend with napa gold filter. They all run great and are of higher mileage.

Edit: 5k oci btw

Last edited:

No problem whatsoever in changing.

You got to 198k and you are asking BITOG seems pretty good in whatever has been done todate. You don't need to change a thing.

If you just bought the vehicle go and speak to the mechanic that was servicing the vehicle and stick with that regime. He is the guru.

If you cant find the mechanic stick to the OEM oil spec'd for it and filter and recommended OCIs.

Last edited:
Run 5W-30, 10W-30 or 10W-40.So much misconception not enough facts. Oil 101 is mostly a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back