Weekend repair list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warmer weather's in the forecast so time to pull out the toolbox. On tap for the Accord:

- New Moog tie rod ends
- New rear Timken hub bearing assembly so the car no longer sounds like a turbo prop plane.
- Replace distributor o-ring that's been leaking oil for 2 yrs.
- Rotate tires
- Clean & lube caliper slide pins

Fun stuff
smile.gif

I replaced the tie rod ends on my CRV and counted the threads to try to make sure they were installed the same number of turns as the old tie rod ends but still had to get an alignment as my tires started wearing funny.

I'm with you, here's my list for the weekend for daughter's Kia Soul:

Oil Change - putting in some Kendall 5w30 syn I got awhile back
New Spark Plugs - basic Champion copper, long overdue
New PCV - again long overdue
Coolant change - also long overdue

I've been catching up on this car for awhile, this will pretty much bring the last of it up to snuff. Will feel good.

In addition to lubing the caliper pins, it is important to clean and lube the caliper abutments and the corresponding areas on the caliper mount brackets. I do this twice a year, at seasonal tire changeover. I use Molykote 77 moly grease on the abutments, silicone grease on the caliper pins.

I replaced the TREs on the BMW, I took all sorts of precautions and good guess work, I think I have it pretty close. This time I'm not wearing out the tires.
laugh.gif

My weekend list:

Siphon flush oil(Havoline 10W40 2k miles) in my E430 with Mityvac 7201, replace with QSUD 0W20.

Change all light bulbs except headlights to LED for S2000 and E430

Wash S2000 and E430 and apply Eagle Wax-as-you-dry on both cars.

I might change out the Wix inline transmission filter on the Escape. I have no idea how old it is or mileage! Forgot to write it down. Definitely going to cut it open.

Next month after the FL trip putting new struts on it. And in April after the TX trip rebuilding everything else suspension wise up front. I've neglected maintenance too long on it.

My garage in Seattle is warm and dry. I will lube the prop shaft and rotate tires on the 4Runner and wash and apply sealant to wife's CRV. Too wet for yard work.
Everybody be safe and make it fun.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My weekend list is: stay inside, too cold to work on cars outside.

Felt bad for your inconvenience !

We are supposed to have high 70's low 80's this weekend and all of next week in So Cal. Just about perfect to do some light works outside the house.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

We are supposed to have high 70's low 80's this weekend and all of next week in So Cal. Just about perfect to do some light works outside the house.
it's too hot to work on cars here. Gonna be 88 tomorrow and 90 next week.

Sounds like a busy weekend, mcclasser.

If you have a minute, could you tell us the country of origin of the Moog and Timken parts you bought?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

it's too hot to work on cars here. Gonna be 88 tomorrow and 90 next week.

Agree. I like working outdoor, on car or something else, when temperature is between low 70's and low 80's. Below 70 is too cold and above 85 is too hot.

Below 70 is too cold

I LOL'd but then I saw your location so it makes sense.

Already did a bunch of stuff this past couple days.
Had my winter tires pulled off and the All Seasons put back on. I know, I just took it somewhere, I didnt actually do it.

Put it up on ramps and greased all the steering joints. Also sprayed the u-joint in the steering shaft that is rusted with PB blaster. That last part really helps the steering, and I need to replace the whole steering shaft but I just don't have the cash atm. When I replace the steering shaft its getting a newer column too, with a nice and tight shifter already attached.

Replaced the driveshaft with a newer and lower mile unit. Also since it was newer it has 1350 joints instead of 1330 joints of the original 2002 'shaft.

Painted a corner of the trunk that was starting to show rust. I put a lot of work into prepping it and trying to keep it clean before I sprayed it, so, hopefully it lasts at least a year or something.

Changed the brake fluid to Castrol DOT 4 LMA. I had originally swapped it to Supertech DOT 3 shortly after I bought the car and it was pretty gross again.

Trying to figure out what else to do. Might swap the watts linkage out since I pretty much have two sets I can put on it.

This is all stuff I can do with little cost because I already have the parts or supplies to do it. I haven't been able to find a job since I got laid off in Sept. so everyday is a weekend.

Oh, I was looking at replacing the transmission cooler hard-lines with newer ones. The ones it has, the hoses are crimped, with like hydraulic fitting crimps, to the hard-line. Really irritating because the hoses are old and leak but I can't just replace them. On the newer lines the hoses just push on and are held with a clamp.
But, I think the #2 crossmember changed too much and there is a bend Im concerned will hit/rub on the older frame, so I haven't been brave enough to see if it will just fit cause its not super simple to do.

Recover from a cold.
Do taxes.
But, shower drain was running slow and wouldn't wait, so I put a snake in and pulled out 4" of hair. Sounds better now.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
The ones it has, the hoses are crimped, with like hydraulic fitting crimps, to the hard-line. Really irritating because the hoses are old and leak but I can't just replace them. On the newer lines the hoses just push on and are held with a clamp.

Could you not carefully cut off the crimp ferrules with a cut off wheel and clamp on a new (oil and temp resistant) hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back