Any concerns with storing filters in garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the summer? I'd like to take advantage of buying fuel, oil filters in bulk for the savings and convenience but am wondering if the heat in the summer would cause deterioration of the filter media over time. Thoughts?

Nah.

Plenty of those things sit in warehouses, trucks, and shipping containers with no climate control and they work just fine. They get exposed to far warmer temperatures while under the hood anyway.

Some people protect the filter from condensation. I think it would be a good idea to seal the base end off from the moisture. I keep my filters in the house for just this reason. Humidity control. Cellulose and water do not plug and play. Also, some filters will rust.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Some people protect the filter from condensation. I think it would be a good idea to seal the base end off from the moisture. I keep my filters in the house for just this reason. Humidity control. Cellulose and water do not plug and play. Also, some filters will rust.

I take a piece of plastic clinging sandwich wrap, and wrap the base of the filter with it partially up the sides of the filter and stick it back in the box base down. I do this once the filter has reached room temperature and store them in the basement. That will keep moisture and dampness out.

I would want it in the house, since it rains a lot here and I don't want humidity damage. so if you live someplace in CA where the humidity is really low, then it might be OK.

Originally Posted By: monster1
During the summer? I'd like to take advantage of buying fuel, oil filters in bulk for the savings and convenience but am wondering if the heat in the summer would cause deterioration of the filter media over time. Thoughts?

Yes, the shelf life is only 75 years....
lol.gif

I bought some PCX-004 Honda oil filters for my S2000 about 10-11 years ago, I still have 2-3 filters and I stored it in garage without problems. Probably because we don't have extreme temperatures(not too cold and not too hot) and fairly low humidity in So Cal.

I throw em in some cheap dollar store ziploc bags then put them back in the box if I know I won't be using them any time soon. Cheap insurance. And then I use the same bag to put the old oil filter in during the change.

Last edited:
never had a problem, kept them in the OEM box in a cabinet in my garage for the last 20 years

I always rotate stock as new stock hits the shelf

Originally Posted By: PE400
one could always get super retentive and vacuum seal.

Yep, that's what I do. Another great use for my food saver.

Originally Posted By: monster1
Thanks guys. Guess I'll bust out the foodsaver. Lol

Only on BITOG folks.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back