Probably buying the Santa Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we’re narrowed the search to probably the Santa Fe.

Here are the reasons why and why not-

Regarding look-I want something that looks good. The ones that I mention about their looks, I think need to be restyled.

Honda (Pilot)-Don’t care for the look.
Chevy/GMC (Transverse) –Comments here and elsewhere about issues with the engine and transmission. While the largest of the vehicles, I don’t want a vehicle that spends time in the shop for these problems. I want a vehicle that will last and last.
Nissan (Pathfinder)-Don’t care for the look.
Toyota (Highlander)-Don’t care for the look.
Hyundai-The warranty and extras are what puts it to the top of the list. I wish it’s storage capacity was like the Transverse. We have a elantra and have been impressed with the quality.

Dodge-Nope. They didn’t stand behind their product and had to go with the lemon law (and won).

Ford-Nothing excites me.

A lot of nice, well made SUVs mentioned but I too love the looks and driving characteristics (steering is excessively light for some tastes) of this Hyundai. The Santa Fe will serve you well. As I'm sure the others would have.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Have you've test driven anything yet? Does driving dynamics mean a thing to you or just looks?

Driving dynamics may not be that high on priority list of an SUV buyer.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Have you've test driven anything yet? Does driving dynamics mean a thing to you or just looks?

I happen to own an SUV near this size class that has driving dynamics(07 Acura MDX) and honestly its still not that much fun sloshing a heavy vehicle about.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
Chevy/GMC (Transverse)

I would say, definitely stay away from this one since you can't even spell its name.
smile.gif

If you are planning to keep the vehicle for a long time, then Hyundai's warranty is definitely a strong selling point.

I think especially for this mid-class and above, driving dynamics is closer to saying "I bought the Yukon because the driving dynamics were better than the Navigator". For the average person, there will likely be only marginal differences in terms of steering and handling in something that isn't purpose-built to be a sport SUV...an oxymoron to many.

My understanding is that the Santa Fe has less of an issue with the vague EPS steering than something like the Tucson and the suspension anomalies have mostly been engineered out of it. I think it's a good choice.

We bought a new '14 Santa Fe Sport two years ago.
Now, 29,000 miles later we're just as happy now as we were on day one.
Not a single issue, drives as new.
I've done a few 1,000 mile days in it and it's very nice.
We looked closely at the RAV4 and the Forester, the Hyundai's interior won us over.

In my opinion, to get anything considerably better, we'd have to spend $15,000 more to get a Lexus RX.

why are you making multiple threads for the same topic..

makes it disjointed.

This clearly could have been continued in your previous looking at new car thread(s)

Hyundai's warranty is impressive until it isnt..

2 years on the radio, battery and most electrical.

Dont you dare call their warranty a bumper to bumper warranty..

its a hyundai limited warranty. I've been corrected by the dealer.

And their 10 year powertrain warranty covers the transmission but not any of the electronics on the transmission.
For example the overdrive disable button on the shifter.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Some people just can't make a decision without input from total strangers.
wink.gif

To me it sounds like the OP has already made his decision. I haven't seen any questions in his post.
smile.gif

Our Odyssey was hit in a parking lot. We were given a Santa Fe when they provided a rental car.

While it was a decent ride, we were really glad to get the odyssey back. The Santa Fe was pretty good, its just that the odyssey was much better.

My takes on the Santa Fe:

-while tire noise was notable, overall it was a very quiet and comfortable ride.

-Power was sufficient in the basic "sport" form.

-Cloth seating surfaces and carpets were not as nice as our odyssey or Accord.

-Overall interior is not anywhere near as nice as the Honda Odyssey or Accord

-headlights on the Santa Fe, which are H11 based as I understand, are much better than the H11 incandescent bulbs on the Accord and Odyssey. However, the H7 based high beams are about the worst Ive ever used. There is just a slightly higher hot spot front and center with no practical lighting improvement. Great lows, terrible highs.

-Power was sufficient, but returned the same or worse economy as the Odyssey for less space and less power.

-Sound system was good, BT pairing was easy, etc.

-Rear seat areas was OK but not as good as a minivan. Our three year old had to bend their legs when in the child seat if my seat was in a comfortable position. We do not have this issue in the Odyssey. Ditto for cargo space - an OK flat surface, but not as deep so less overall capacity...

-6 speed AT shifted well, no real issues or concerns, though manumatic approach wasn't very useful.

-Hill descent control does not work well rolling forward downhill - in fact, it can cause a lockup and be dangerous.

-The front seat was about as uncomfortable as Ive ever sat in. The headrest forward-back positions are not correct for a good head up/shoulders back, proper posture seating. After a 500 mile trip, my back was painful for two days. Support is good, cushion is comfortable and non fatiguing, but the positions available were really bad for me. This has never happened to me before!

If it wasn't for the front seat comfort, I think the vehicle is a good SUV, and I cant imagine that any other is any better, short of paying for a lux-SUV, so its a good choice if youre set on an SUV. -

So we’re narrowed the search to probably the Santa Fe.

Here are the reasons why and why not-

Regarding look-I want something that looks good. The ones that I mention about their looks, I think need to be restyled.

Honda (Pilot)-Don’t care for the look.
Chevy/GMC (Transverse) –Comments here and elsewhere about issues with the engine and transmission. While the largest of the vehicles, I don’t want a vehicle that spends time in the shop for these problems. I want a vehicle that will last and last.
Nissan (Pathfinder)-Don’t care for the look.
Toyota (Highlander)-Don’t care for the look.
Hyundai-The warranty and extras are what puts it to the top of the list. I wish it’s storage capacity was like the Transverse. We have a elantra and have been impressed with the quality.

Dodge-Nope. They didn’t stand behind their product and had to go with the lemon law (and won).

Ford-Nothing excites me.

Toyota Sienna.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Chevy/GMC (Transverse)

I would say, definitely stay away from this one since you can't even spell its name.
smile.gif

If you are planning to keep the vehicle for a long time, then Hyundai's warranty is definitely a strong selling point.

Dealt with 1 hour of sleep last night explains the spelling error.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Some people just can't make a decision without input from total strangers.
wink.gif

No, it’s more like I respect this group and hoped for some comments. I rather be very informed than not. Have you thought about not making rash comments until you know the whole picture?

Originally Posted By: Rand
why are you making multiple threads for the same topic..

makes it disjointed.

This clearly could have been continued in your previous looking at new car thread(s)

Hyundai's warranty is impressive until it isnt..

2 years on the radio, battery and most electrical.

Dont you dare call their warranty a bumper to bumper warranty..

its a hyundai limited warranty. I've been corrected by the dealer.

And their 10 year powertrain warranty covers the transmission but not any of the electronics on the transmission.
For example the overdrive disable button on the shifter.

Some corrections to your misinformation:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx#2

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/america-best-warranty.aspx

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/assurance_pdf/2015_warranty/AME-ALL15MY-140513.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back