Noack is meaningless... ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
P21... has a discussion between the temperatures shown in a 4 ball versus actual ring/liner temps. And table 1 shows the worst performing liner wear test 15W-40 with a mid field 4 ball test.

Interestingly, only the straight 40 base oil could complete the liner wear test without seizing, while even additised and thickened 15W-40 made from a 10W couldn't get there.

Which do you guys think is more 'meaningfull?'

TEOST or Noack -in the grand scheme of things. We know there is debate as to which is more important in D.I. applications.

Thanks Shannow.

Interesting that 40 basestock did well without additives.

Maybe PP/PUP 10w30 is a better alternative to PYB 10w30 or straight 30....

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Garak
Shannow, you forgot to add that the limits have been decreased over the years simply because the API, ILSAC, and ACEA people were just bored.
wink.gif

This. And companies like Mercedes and GM also place their own limits on NOACK. If it was irrelevant, why would they bother?

Funny thing is though no company specifies a VI level.

It used to be base oils, then moly, then something else, ...now it's VI, the latest BITOG obsession. All well and good to talk about the technical side, which is a great thing. However, you come back (or never leave) to the realization that it's the entire 18 different additives and base oils in the bottle in entirety that matter, not one single aspect of the entire formulation.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
P21... has a discussion between the temperatures shown in a 4 ball versus actual ring/liner temps. And table 1 shows the worst performing liner wear test 15W-40 with a mid field 4 ball test.

Interestingly, only the straight 40 base oil could complete the liner wear test without seizing, while even additised and thickened 15W-40 made from a 10W couldn't get there.

As usual, thanks for posting up, and the straight 40 note is interesting indeed

"...it's the entire 18 different additives and base oils in the bottle in entirety that matter...."

Not according to the article. Low volatility 40 basestock with no additives did great.

I’m running Edge EP 5w20 now. Most of my driving is highway where I see 85 mph (140 km/h?) for a good 40 miles. The Edge EP 5w20 has a NOACK of around 11%. The Edge EP 0w20 is 13.2% per PQIA. PU/PP/M1 are all PU 10w30 are 4-5% for NOACK. I have a feeling Mobil 1 EP 0w20 is 10% or less, being it’s 70% PAO.

Good information, thanks Shannow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back