You might wanna sit down for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another day - another random thought. I'm sure most of us have heard of engine flushes done with kerosine/diesel. And some people just replaced full capacity of oil with diesel and ran it for 15 minutes at idle, and when that was drained - it was pitch black. And that was done with no REPORTED negative side effects afterwards. So that got me thinking. What if I replace the full capacity of oil with MMO and ran it as idle flush? Unfortunately I do not have a beater that I don't care about to try this on. But if it works - I would be willing to try it in other cars. Afterall - there are tons of cars that were ran for hundreds of miles without oil, then were filled with proper amount and ran without problems afterall. I figured MMO is better than no oil at all, right? And it's only for 15-20 mins at idle... For now that is just a theory. I wish I had a beater car to try this on, but I don't... So what is your take on this "insane" idea?

I used to run 1 quart of MMO and 3 quarts of 5w30 in my '89 MX-6 because of a sticky lifter. It took care of that problem. Ran fine for 50k that I owned it. Didn't burn or leak after 161k when I sold it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Seems like it would be significantly more expensive than using Kerosene

+1

I've had someone come over with 1qt of oil, I had to add 3.5 quarts for them. Their "mechanic" told them that there's an issue with the computer. LOL.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SanProsan
Afterall - there are tons of cars that were ran for hundreds of miles without oil, then were filled with proper amount and ran without problems afterall.

Don't know what to say. I wouldn't believe everything I read on the net.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Afterall - there are tons of cars that were ran for hundreds of miles without oil, then were filled with proper amount and ran without problems afterall.

Don't know what to say. I wouldn't believe everything I read on the net.
"Hundreds of miles"?

no way in [censored] would i do this. they have zero lubricating value, or next to zero. would does work is runing ATF in the oil for about 250-500 miles before an oil change. that cleans things nicely.
one might again might get away with the diesel and maybe some reg oil or tcw3 for lube. but i don't think i would on anything i plan on keeping.
you want to clean the inside of you engine, do frequent oil changes to flush it out. maybe a 50/50 mix oil and ATF. for very short time spans like idling to say 150 miles. then change.

So what is your take on this "insane" idea?

My take is that you should find something a bit more important to occupy your thoughts.

Another day - another random thought. I'm sure most of us have heard of engine flushes done with kerosine/diesel. And some people just replaced full capacity of oil with diesel and ran it for 15 minutes at idle, and when that was drained - it was pitch black. And that was done with no REPORTED negative side effects afterwards. So that got me thinking. What if I replace the full capacity of oil with MMO and ran it as idle flush? Unfortunately I do not have a beater that I don't care about to try this on. But if it works - I would be willing to try it in other cars. Afterall - there are tons of cars that were ran for hundreds of miles without oil, then were filled with proper amount and ran without problems afterall. I figured MMO is better than no oil at all, right? And it's only for 15-20 mins at idle... For now that is just a theory. I wish I had a beater car to try this on, but I don't... So what is your take on this "insane" idea?

Not in my engine.

On car talk they mentioned they know people who have used all diesel fuel or 50/50 diesel fuel and oil, kerosene and had reported good results. But they went on to say that when they have tried it, the mix destroyed the engine.

Until now, I'd never heard of an engine flush. It's like you just can't leave well enough alone. The cure is worse than the disease.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
no way in [censored] would i do this. they have zero lubricating value, or next to zero. would does work is runing ATF in the oil for about 250-500 miles before an oil change. that cleans things nicely.
one might again might get away with the diesel and maybe some reg oil or tcw3 for lube. but i don't think i would on anything i plan on keeping.
you want to clean the inside of you engine, do frequent oil changes to flush it out. maybe a 50/50 mix oil and ATF. for very short time spans like idling to say 150 miles. then change.

ATF really doesn't have any detergents in it anymore and doesn't clean any better than cheap motor oil. About all it has going for it is sorta low viscosity.

ATF has less cleaning agents than motor oil so this is obsolete info.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
So what is your take on this "insane" idea?

My take is that you should find something a bit more important to occupy your thoughts.

You sir, definitely have a point. But I spend a lot of time on the highway and that leaves me with a lot of time on my hands. To kill the time and make the miles pass by - I come up with this lubrication nightmare to some. First MMO+5w50, now full capacity of MMO. I'm afraid to even imagine what the next thing is that's gonna get into my head and come out onto bitog at some point.

I took a slow approach to cleanup my '04 Ranger SOHC 4.0L V6.

About 500 miles before the oil change, I removed 1 qt of oil and replaced with MMO. Run it for 500 miles. Change oil and filter. Repeat once.

Continue short 3000 mile oil and filter changes until the oil starts looking good and then increase to the usual 5K to 6K oil and filter change.

As added measure, I also used 4 qt of HDEO 15W40 + 1 qt of MMO for about 1000 miles. The resulting blend would be about a 10W30. This step was really not needed. I would prefer to run the MMO only 500 miles.

Engine is now running well and the current fill MS5K 5W30 looks pristine at 2K miles. I plan to change at 5K.

The MMO helps float out a lot of junk. Since I have been cutting filters, I can see how nicely the oil/MMO suspends the junk on the filter inlet side.

Be advised with an 80% oil / 20% MMO blend, the oils viscosity drops about one grade. Also, with MMO you need to watch the oil levels closely. The engine will likely consume oil.

YMMV

If I had it to do over again, I would just keep changing the oil and filter on schedule.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If I wanted an engine flush I'd buy an engine flush and follow the directions.

But following directions is very uneventful and boring... Directions is just manufacturers opinion. Real men come up with their own directions and order of operations!!!

Just kidding
laugh.gif

Hey now, it was slippery when I felt it in my fingers and took a good soap to wash it off. There must be some lubrication in it? Hehe Because as we all know - it's not about VOAs, UOAs, and engineers. It's all about how it smells, feels between fingers, and what it looks like when it drains out.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If I wanted an engine flush I'd buy an engine flush and follow the directions.

But following directions is very uneventful and boring... Directions is just manufacturers opinion. Real men come up with their own directions and order of operations!!!

Just kidding
laugh.gif

I do a lot of thinking out of the box and improvising. Filling my sump with straight kerosene and running it for a flush is something I'll pass on. I will read about here though it since the title of the thread did catch my eye.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

ATF has less cleaning agents than motor oil so this is obsolete info.

So that really IS an 'old school'/old wives tale suggestion (adding a quart of ATF to free stuck/collapsed hydraulic lifters)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back