TPMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to change the tpms sensors to go from 45psi to 35psi? My truck came with LT tires and the towing package. 45 psi is way too hard empty and a death trap in winter. At 35 psi the warning goes off. I try to set them currently to 38 but a cold day in winter will set the warning off. If the computer thought they were supposed to be 35 and not 45, life would be great....

Does your location require working TPMS for vehicle inspection? It's not required here, and the light is only on when I have my snow tires on. After owning a VW I'm used to ignoring warning lights.

It is possible to store the new base PSI value on most cars I've seen. Did you look in your owner's manual? It should be described in there how to do it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It is possible to store the new base PSI value on most cars I've seen. Did you look in your owner's manual? It should be described in there how to do it.

That was my first thought. TPMS just tells you when the pressure gets low; there should be a procedure in the OM for resetting to a new initial value.

Guys, he is asking to reprogram the car's computer so that it will change the recommended air pressure inside the flash.

THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Heck, what kind of user interface do you think car manufacturer is going to provide to adjust TPMS trip pressure when most of them don't even bother to provide individual pressure reading on the dash!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Guys, he is asking to reprogram the car's computer so that it will change the recommended air pressure inside the flash.

THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

It is possible on our Q5, for example, and it's very easy. You adjust your tire PSI to what you want it to be, and then go into the settings, and store the current value.

Granted, it doesn't have actual TPMS hardware. It is all ABS-sensor/wheel speed based.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Is there a way to change the tpms sensors to go from 45psi to 35psi? My truck came with LT tires and the towing package. 45 psi is way too hard empty and a death trap in winter. At 35 psi the warning goes off. I try to set them currently to 38 but a cold day in winter will set the warning off. If the computer thought they were supposed to be 35 and not 45, life would be great....

You can do this with a GM TECH2. I own one and changed my own TPS sensor settings on my 06 truck from 30psi to 35psi because that's what I run.

THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Heck, what kind of user interface do you think car manufacturer is going to provide to adjust TPMS trip pressure when most of them don't even bother to provide individual pressure reading on the dash!

Yes sir it is possible and for the record most GM cars do show the individual tire pressures PSI reading. My 06 truck and 08 CTS are just 2 examples. Older models did just show a light and most foriegn cars I've seen still have just a light.

Last edited:
I hate TPMS and all the new high tech in newer vehicles. Other than my daughter 2015 Accord my cars are old enough to have none of these headache features.

I like my S2000 partially because it has nothing other than the basic such as engine, manual transmission, fixed steering, manual A/C, 2-way adjustable manual seat ... no complicated electronic to break.

The only "modern" equipment it has are power window, power door lock, electric power steering ...

That is pretty cool you can change the psi on some cars. With Ford you are stuck with whatever the factory setting is. The kids with the lifted bro trucks will toss the sensors in a sealed pipe with an air fitting set to whatever the factory setting is. The Ford system, at least on the 2 14MY cars in my household, will not tell you the pressure or the location of the tire in question.

I see nothing about changing the value of the recommended PSI in the Silvarado link provided. "7. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended PSI."

So, how many people own GM TECH2 ? Using that means you are changing the ECM firmware. I am assuming owner's manual does NOT show you how to do that :)

I see nothing about changing the value of the recommended PSI in the Silvarado link provided. "7. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended PSI."

So, how many people own GM TECH2 ? Using that means you are changing the ECM firmware. I am assuming owner's manual does NOT show you how to do that :)

I own a GM Tech2 and I am a GM engineer who deals with software. The process is there but it is not listed for the public. You are NOT changing any firmware - just the calibration. This is allowed because customers DO change tires and wheel options so the system must be able to accomadate this. The Tech2 is also used to calibrate the speedo and ABS functions with different tire and wheel sizes...sadly most vehicles never get updated so people drive around on different tires/wheels sizes as delivered stock and are not realizing the full potentionaal of thier ABS not to mention the speedo being off. These changes are also calibrations - NOT firmware or software. It takes 5 minutes with a TECH2 and some aftermarket scan tools can also do it.

AND here is verbage from the GM service manual on how to set them up...

xTooltipElement

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help

2006 Chevrolet K Silverado - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado VIN C/K Service Manual | Suspension | Tire Pressure Monitoring | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 1572070
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Control Module Setup
Passenger Door Module (PDM) Setup
After passenger door module (PDM) switch assembly replacement, the following procedures must be performed in the order that they appear for the Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System to function properly. The PDM also requires keyless entry transmitter programming after replacement. Refer to Transmitter Synchronization.

TPM System Enable
The service replacement PDM switch assembly comes with the TPM System disabled to allow the same part number PDM to be used in both TPM and non-TPM equipped vehicles. Once the TPM option is enabled in the PDM, it cannot be disabled. Before proceeding with the steps below, ensure the vehicle is equipped with TPM (UJ6). Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Placard, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label.

 1. Install a scan tool.
 2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
 3. With the scan tool, select Chassis.
 4. Select Tire Pressure Monitor.
 5. Select Special Functions.
 6. Select TPM Option Enable.
 7. Press the exit key to escape.
Tire Type/Pressure Selection
Since there are different tire types and pressure combinations for different vehicles, it is necessary to select the correct tire type and tire pressures for the vehicle being serviced.

 1. Install a scan tool.
 2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
 3. With the scan tool, select Chassis.
 4. Select Tire Pressure Monitor.
 5. Select Special Functions.
 6. Select Tire Type/Pressure Selection.
 7. Select P-Metric Standard.
 8. Select the front tire pressure as noted on the vehicle driver door placard sticker.
 9. Select the rear tire pressure as noted on the vehicle driver door placard sticker.
10. Verify the selections made are correct and press the enter key. The scan tool will flash Procedure in Progress, then display Procedure Complete.

11. Press the exit key to escape.
Tire Pressure Sensor Learn
After PDM switch assembly replacement, each of the tire pressure sensors unique identification codes must be learned into the PDM memory. Refer to Tire Pressure Indicator Sensor Learn.
© 2016 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Last edited:
Sorry about the cut and paste above ^^^ for some reason everything copied and pasted gets garbeled up on BITOG...but you can see where you enter your desired tire pressure.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Sorry about the cut and paste above ^^^ for some reason everything copied and pasted gets garbeled up on BITOG...but you can see where you enter your desired tire pressure.

When doing cut&paste, you can try pasting into Notepad first, so as to strip out any formatting. Then pasting elsewhere.

I do see that this is possible using the dealer only tools. The information which is stored is one of those body parameter. So the firmware code is NOT changed and I understand your point. However, the data residing in the firmware is indeed being changed. That change also has to survive battery removal; so that change is written to non-volatile storage. Modern vehicles are nothing but bunch of software actuating hardware units :)

My main point was that this type of change is (usually) NOT done by the owner of the vehicle and they do not provide the user interface to do that.

But I was wrong in saying that what OP was asking was not possible. Depending upon the vehicle make and depending upon the availability of dealer level tools, the threshold values can indeed be changed.

However, the data residing in the firmware is indeed being changed. That change also has to survive battery removal; so that change is written to non-volatile storage.

It's probably not data residing in the firmware. It's more likely a database file of paremeters/values that's stored in flash memory and that firmware can refer to for input. Probably splitting hairs at this point.
smile.gif

Some GM dealers will do it, some wont. If you have a good relationship with your dealer its more likely. They can do it but many dont want to. This question pops up on the GM truck forums often.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: FastLane

You can do this with a GM TECH2. I own one and changed my own TPS sensor settings on my 06 truck from 30psi to 35psi because that's what I run.

THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Yes sir it is possible and for the record most GM cars do show the individual tire pressures PSI reading. My 06 truck and 08 CTS are just 2 examples. Older models did just show a light and most foriegn cars I've seen still have just a light.

I agree - one of the things about the Impala I like is being able to see the individual tire pressure. On the other hand, I do still hand check them with my digital pressure gauge once in a while too.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Some GM dealers will do it, some wont. If you have a good relationship with your dealer its more likely. They can do it but many dont want to. This question pops up on the GM truck forums often.

Yeah, I think they are suffering from liability concerns. I just ignore the stupid TPMS on my Silverado 2500. When empty, I generally run 50-55 PSI all the way around. The TPMS is set for 60 front and 70 rear, so it has an epileptic seizure. I just dismiss the warning in the DIC and have mentally blocked the little warning light in the corner of the display. Just like I ignore the seatbelt light when I am running around the property without a seatbelt on. If I know I will loading the pickup with some serious weight, then I air the tires back up.

What is truly sad, is that commercial truck tire manufacturers provide load pressure charts on tires showing proper inflation PSI for the load, but they won't for personal vehicles and pickups. I have tried to get similar charts from them on cars and pickups and they always punt back to the vehicle OEM. Again, probably liability issues. I just use the same methodology for my pickup that corresponds similar to my commercial trucks and adjust PSI on the tires based on loading.

TPMS is ok for checking current tire pressures while driving. I would have been quite comfortable not having it nor having to pay for it because of some nanny state mandate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back