2010 Honda Accord: New Wheels and Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, when I bought my base-model Honda Accord LX, it came with steelies and wheel covers. The wheel covers are all peeling a bit, so they are unsightly. I can order a new set of OEM Honda covers from Amazon for about $140.

The OEM Pirelli's are just about done. I've been impressed, since they have 77k miles on them, and still a fair bit of tread left. But they have been noisy for quite some time. It's time for a new set of tires.

The stock wheels on the car now are 16". I can get a real nice set of Michelin's Premiere A/S for about $600 OTD. Add another $140 for new wheel covers and I'm at $750. Not too bad.

But I'd really like some OEM Honda rims. Here is a set of 18" wheels. I could have these wheels, with 99% new Michelin Pilot HX tires, with new TPMS's and my car "re-learned" for the sensors, for $1500 OTD installed.

New Wheels and Tires

The rims are NOT damaged. They were take-offs. Detroit Wheel and Tire powder coated them Satin Black. They are road force balanced and guaranteed to be straight. The PC finish is guaranteed for 1 year.

So, here are my questions:

1.) Besides a little more "sporty" ride compared to my pillow 16" tires, would there be consequences to the suspension or steering on my car going from 16" to 18" wheels?

2.) Do you guys think the finish on professionally powder coated rims will hold up?

3.) For a set of 4 (nearly new) Michelin's that come stock on several luxury vehicles and a nice set of Honda wheels, does this seem like a decent price?

FYI....this is how my car looks now:

bold-beige-metallic.png

Last edited:
That's a lot of money, and who knows what the powder coating will look like in a couple years.

Plus, OE tires are often not that great.

Go to your local dealer and see if they have some take-offs. My local VW dealer has tons of take-offs that they sell for a lot less than that.

I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX V6 6MT 4 door sedan. It came with 17" allow wheels. They are plenty big enough, in fact the ride is somewhat punishing. I wouldn't go any bigger on my car.

Your current wheels would be really good winter wheels. So there would be a market for them if you don't need them.

Factory wheels would be the best so a set of (new) dealership take-offs would be ideal.

For what it's worth, powder coating is generally pretty good.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Here is a set of 18" wheels. I could have these wheels, with 99% new Michelin Pilot HX tires, with new TPMS's and my car "re-learned" for the sensors, for $1500 OTD installed.

New Wheels and Tires

The ad says the tires are Kumho, not Michelin. Or did you just provide the link so that we could see the rims?

Quote:

The rims are NOT damaged. They were take-offs. Detroit Wheel and Tire powder coated them Satin Black.

Just curious, but why do they do that? I mean, you would think the OEM rims would be most desirable if they were left "as is" and not mucked with. Are they trying to hide something by PD-ing them?

Quote:
1.) Besides a little more "sporty" ride compared to my pillow 16" tires, would there be consequences to the suspension or steering on my car going from 16" to 18" wheels?

It might visually look a bit awkward. Larger rim and shorter tire sidewall will make the wheel gap more noticeable. Kind of an optical illusion, although since the wheels are black, too, it may not be that noticeable afterall. The car would look better if you dropped the suspension a bit, but of course that would probably make the ride even harsher.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Here is a set of 18" wheels. I could have these wheels, with 99% new Michelin Pilot HX tires, with new TPMS's and my car "re-learned" for the sensors, for $1500 OTD installed.

New Wheels and Tires

The ad says the tires are Kumho, not Michelin. Or did you just provide the link so that we could see the rims?

Quote:

The rims are NOT damaged. They were take-offs. Detroit Wheel and Tire powder coated them Satin Black.

Just curious, but why do they do that? I mean, you would think the OEM rims would be most desirable if they were left "as is" and not mucked with. Are they trying to hide something by PD-ing them?

Quote:

It might visually look a bit awkward. Larger rim and shorter tire sidewall will make the wheel gap more noticeable. Kind of an optical illusion, although since the wheels are black, too, it may not be that noticeable afterall. The car would look better if you dropped the suspension a bit, but of course that would probably make the ride even harsher.

These wheels are often stolen from dealer lots. Painting them black would be a good way to mask what they were originally, I guess

I don't believe that 235/45-18 is the correct size for your 8th gen Accord. That's a 9th gen size, what comes on cars like my '15 Sport. I think the 8th gens overall diameter was smaller. What size tire is on your car now?

I don't recommend going with Pirelli, even though you've had good luck. I have a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season on my Fusion & they're about shot with only 16K miles on them. I've rotated them religiously every 5K miles & I'm extremely disappointed. JUNK. And Pirelli wants you to rotate them every 3K-4K at "certified Pirelli dealer" for the treadwear warranty to stay in tact. No thank you. Maybe I just got a dud set of tires somehow, but I'm never buying Pirelli again. My next set will be Michelin.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I don't believe that 235/45-18 is the correct size for your 8th gen Accord. That's a 9th gen size, what comes on cars like my '15 Sport. I think the 8th gens overall diameter was smaller. What size tire is on your car now?

OE size on 2010 Accord LX is 215/60/16, so 235/45/18 should be the correct plus size.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

OE size on 2010 Accord LX is 215/60/16, so 235/45/18 should be the correct plus size.

235/45/18 is the correct +2 upgrade(in term of diameter), but for a family sedan I think +1 is a better choice.

Performance/handling will improve a little while ride doesn't suffer much and the look may be a little nicer and fit the wheel well better.

How much heavier are the new wheels/tires? If it's more than a pound or two, expect your fuel economy to go down a bit. You're also significantly more likely to damage a wheel on a serious pothole. The ride may become more "sporty" as you suggest or more harsh, jarring, noisy, etc.

Personally, I think black wheels look terrible on most cars and your Honda is one of them. That's a lot of dough to lay out unless you can return them if they look as bad to you as they probably would to me.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
but for a family sedan I think +1 is a better choice.

Agreed. 17s would look nice on this generation Accord, and they would offer a good balance between sportiness and comfort. And you'd still have enough rubber between the rim and the road where you would not have to worry about potholes too much.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
I don't recommend going with Pirelli, even though you've had good luck. I have a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season on my Fusion & they're about shot with only 16K miles on them. I've rotated them religiously every 5K miles & I'm extremely disappointed. JUNK. And Pirelli wants you to rotate them every 3K-4K at "certified Pirelli dealer" for the treadwear warranty to stay in tact. No thank you. Maybe I just got a dud set of tires somehow, but I'm never buying Pirelli again. My next set will be Michelin.
You bought a set of "Ultra High Performance" tires and you expect them to last long? The tread wear rating is only a 400, that's like at the bottom of the list. Plus, why would you put such fancy tires on a grocery getter?

Should have done more research and picked out a realistic tire.

I had Pirelli Cinturato P7s on my 2004 VW Beetlr TDI, put 11,000 miles on them and they had NO signs of wear, looked like they had been put on a week ago, but I sold the car.

I would not use 18's. I've driven the accord with 18's and it's a rough and noisy ride, and I can't figure really what handling is improved by it. If it were me, for a sports sedan, 60-series rubber provides great handling but also some sense of civility when you're just heading home.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
They were probably powder coated to hide the curb rash and other defects on the wheels. The rims from a 2012 Accord EX would look nice. Same generation but with the mid cycle refresh.

Check Bernardi Honda, www.driveaccord.net classifieds, www.collegehillhonda.com

My two local Honda dealers never have any take-offs available. Ever. I've been bugging them for almost 3 years (since I bought this LX with Steelies).

On-line discount Honda Part stores want $400/each for the OEM rims.

Yeah, I could repaint the wheel covers. But to be honest, I really want OEM alloy wheels.

Since my LX has ZERO bright chrome and the window pillars are matte black plastic, I thought these matte black wheels might look sharp.

But heck yeah $1500 is a pile of money!! I'm basically spending $900 for new rims. Because it's gonna be $600 to put good 16" Michelin's back on my Steelies. So for $900, I can get upgrade to these wheels.

JUNK aftermarket wheels at available at all chain/discount tire places want $150/each for gaudy wheels. So that's $600 for a set of awful wheels. For $300 more, I can get a set of OEM's....

Besides, the price difference on any CPO Accord (with the same options) with and without alloys is $1000....all day, every day. It's a $1000 more to buy a LX-P vs. an LX.

That's the reasoning I'm using.....right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back