Measuring fluids while being on ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you measure atf/oil while on ramps? Or bring it down then back up for inspection?

I personally never had to do it as the juggs I bought were the exact size of my oil sump but now that I got bigger ones.

Last edited:
I always check the dipsticks on level ground or else the readings are incorrect. During oil changes, I add the amount required while still on ramps then bring it down to check everything.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For the most accurate measurements I measure all fluids on level ground.
+1

And when comes to ATF d&f I generally take the extra step of measuring the amount of the drain so I have a good reference point for refill.

While up on a set of ramps you can add an amount of oil that you know is less than the required amount, back off the ramps and top it off on level ground. It works for me.

I always check for leaks with the engine running on the ramps before backing off.

Also when draining the oil I wait for the flow to stop and then pour in a couple of ounces of new oil and observe the return. If it's clear then I'm done. Otherwise I'll pour in a couple more ounces and repeat the process. I have no idea if this helps the engine but it helps me.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For the most accurate measurements I measure all fluids on level ground.
+1

And when comes to ATF d&f I generally take the extra step of measuring the amount of the drain so I have a good reference point for refill.

I do the same thing, it makes life a lot easier to refill a transmission when you have a measurement of what came out.

I changed the engine oil on ramps in a four cylinder (a S Saturn or Cobalt). Well, I went to add oil and it would not accept any. At this instance I was lucky the ramps werent too heavily notched as I was able to roll it down by pushing it, then hurrying to get in and grab the parking brake.

It kind of worried me how easily it was to push off the ramps, but I guess that is what chocks and a parking brake are for.

Are you saying the configuration of whatever is in the oil fill port, combined with the angle created by the front wheels being on ramps, prevents oil from going into the fill port?

I guess I'll start doing that from now on
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back