1999 Taurus, Vulcan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently using Mobil 1 5W20 in my 99 Vulcan, as my car has been back specced in 2003 from 5w30. Currently using a M1 filter as well. Is it worth putting more M1 in my engine with a Purolator BOSS filter? I beat the [censored] out of this car. Or would it be just fine switching back to Motorcraft 5w20 Syn blend with a MC FL-400s filter?

Thanks friends!!!

I used Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 in my 99 Taurus. It had a healthy appetite even for this thick 30 grade. The engine will not care what oil you use, the subframe will fall apart around the car, the transmission will die randomly or it will nickel and dime you to death before the engine dies from an oil related issue.

The only major issue with the engine is the camshaft position sensor, if it's squeaking replace it and only use an oem part. Aftermarket will fail.

I have a 96 Tuarus Sedan with the Vulcan engin and just over 60,000 miles on it. It looks brand new and drives great. I have been using Valvoline HM Synthetic oil 5W30 with OCI every 5,000 miles. I also do a pan drop on the transmission fluid every 20,000 miles just because of the horror stories I have heard regarding the transmission for this car. Both of the oils you mentioned would be fine choices.

I'd run 5W30 in it. I had one with over 200K miles on it. I read lots of stories about the transmissions being bad, mine was perfect right until the day I junked it. It saw a lot of hard use too. Just change the fluid and filter every 30K or so follow it up with a line exchange or fluid extraction.

Everything but the engine and transmission went. The suspension, tires, springs, front end, exhaust, front windshield was busted, etc. and some rot. Kudos to NY roads and salt for most of what sent it to the junkyard.

If you take care of that car, it should last you a long time. Sounds weird, but one of my favorite cars over the years was a 98 Taurus SE with the regular 3.0. Decent mpg, nice smooth and quiet ride, and never had any real issues. Just make sure to really flush the cooling system, including the heater core. Change trans fluid. Do this more often than you think you should have to...

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Lol if you're beating the [censored] out of an old Taurus, the oil you pick should be the last thing on your mind.

Exactly. I'd be more worried about my next brand of sneakers, because that's what you'll be using.

A transmission fluid exchange is a very good idea for that car. That will head off many problems that may arise.

However, it will do nothing to prevent the torque converter from shearing the pump splines, which occurs often in these transmissions. It will either happen or it wont.

I would use 5w30.

My 99 Vulcan transmission had 146k hard city miles on it when I sold it due to rusted brake lines. I never dropped the pan only did suck and fills with Mercon V and Mobil 1 ATF at about 50:50 ratio. It shifted great at the time. Many didn't make it that far though it's kind of hit or miss.

A big +1 to huge maintenance on the cooling system. My heater core was plugged when I sold it. Such a bad system for contamination from inside. I actually had the best luck with Prestone all makes all models, but I did a full flush with Distilled water and a new reservoir before I got the oem fluids out.

I'd use the cheapest oil in that car, the rest of the car is going to completely die before the engine cares what oil is used.

A friend just bought an older Taurus and another owns several. What years are the problematic ones? Or did they never get it resolved?

I also would use 5w30 in it.

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
I absolutely loved that engine for no real reason whatsoever. Probably just the name.

It was bulletproof reliable in my experience.

Well put. I shared similar feelings. It didn't make a lot of power but it was very reliable and problem free.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
I absolutely loved that engine for no real reason whatsoever. Probably just the name.

It was bulletproof reliable in my experience.

Well put. I shared similar feelings. It didn't make a lot of power but it was very reliable and problem free.

We had a 3.0 Aerostar as well and it was a great vehicle in every way. Easily as reliable and as durable as anything else we've ever owned, including some canonized German and Japanese makes.
The Vulcan had no real power along with no torque.
That said, it powered the Aero reliably and economically for as long as we drove it, about 175K from new.
You could easily maintain 75-80 MPH on the interstates and with careful throttle use you could average over 20 mpg in the process.
The Vulcan is a solid engine that doesn't make enough power to hurt itself or even to wear out.
An old-school iron pushrod V-6 that shows just how little we've gained with more modern designs.
You might see a little better fuel economy in something more current. You will see a lot more power, but the Vulcan provided enough power to travel as fast as you'll ever need to travel.

The AX4N was made standard in 2003 for both the Vulcan and the duratec. This is the better version of the transmission but none are perfect. Some older models use it too depending on configuration.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The AX4N was made standard in 2003 for both the Vulcan and the duratec. This is the better version of the transmission but none are perfect. Some older models use it too depending on configuration.

Thank you, exactly what I wanted to know. Currently a 97, 02 and two 06's owned by good friends. And I have recommended a used Taurus to my kids, an awful lot of bang for your used car buck. Of course the kids roll on the ground and foam at the mouth at the mere mention of a Taurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back