who uses a oil filter wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only car I don't just use my hands on is my S2000. There is a torque spec on the filter and it is not a joke. So, I use a filter "socket" and a torque wrench on it.

robert

I never used to until I worked at a shop. That's when I discovered how many people overtighten the filter. Some were so bad I mangled the filters while taking them off. The 3-prong style gets the tightest ones off: http://ll-us-i5.wal.co/dfw/dce07b8c-abcd/k2-_aace6362-ed54-4a7e-8e16-19a76a030608.v2.jpg

I suppose it is better to overtighten a little instead of risking a leak, but I have never had a problem when I hand tighten. Plus most people overtighten way too much.

Also in a lot of newer cars and European cars, they have the oil filters where you remove the top part and only replace the filter itself (better for the environment), so you have no choice but to use a socket.

Also, depending on the car and where the filter is located, sometimes it's easier to loosen/tighten it with a tool.

Originally Posted By: CaliCarLover
Also in a lot of newer cars and European cars, they have the oil filters where you remove the top part and only replace the filter itself (better for the environment), so you have no choice but to use a socket.

Also, depending on the car and where the filter is located, sometimes it's easier to loosen/tighten it with a tool.

This type of oil filter is called cartridge oil filter. I used "Oil Filter Cap Wrench" to install or remove the cartridge oil filter holder of my E430 since 2004.

I dumped the factory fill on the Caravan and I had to use a 24mm socket and a ratchet to remove it and to apply the final torque (a snug really). I could screw it in a little bit by hand, but once it got about half way down, there was too much resistance and too little room for continuing it by hand.

What surprised me was that the oil filter cap and the drain plug were not over tightened from the factory. They came out with little effort.

Last edited:
The filter access is poor on my Lincoln LS. I always put the filter on hand tight, but have always needed a wrench to get it loose. The location of that particular filter(very bottom of the engine) usually results in it picking up a lot of grease, oil, road crud, etc on the outside of the can and I find it hard to get a good grip.

Generally I just need to barely "crack" it with the wrench, at which point it will unscrew by hand with ease. If there were more clearance for me to get a good grip, I might be able to get it off without a wrench, but I don't see any point in beating myself up over doing it.

My MG has the filter sitting right by the engine. I've only changed the oil once, and have no idea how long the old orange can had been on it or who put it on. It took quite a bit of grunt to get it going, and even an occasional assist from the wrench in coming off. The new one(Motorcraft) went on with ease. I'll probably change the oil again sometime this spring, so I'll see how easily the filter I installed(hand tight) comes off.

I use a wrench for removal. I maintain three cars and a motorcycle, I like doing it the easy way.

I also had an aftermarket oil filter blow off on a bike once, threads were cut wrong. If it wasn't safety wired in place, I might have had some doubt. Two of us in my group were both burned by one batch of bad filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back