1998 F-150 4.2L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A good friend owns one in a E-150 van. I've driven it several times over the years when we team up an bigger projects. I have the 4.9L in mine and there is no comparison between the two engines. Mine will out pull his any day of the week. His does rev up faster but the torque goes to the 4.9L. I'm glad I wasn't in the market for a van during the run of those engines.
27.gif

Agreed. The 4.9 is a great engine. Torque at low rpm and reliable. You can cruise around going very light on the throttle.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
For your purpose, the 4.2 should be fine. I have the Chevy equivalent (4.3 V-6) and I chose it for slightly better gas mileage and a good reputation (which your 4.2 has also). It's not a race truck, but it gets me up to speed just fine except when I'm towing my 3,000# boat.

My uncle had a '99 or '00 Silverado 1/2t 4.3 manual (around 200hp I believe), and used it daily up and down the mountains in the PA coal regions( Tamaqua, Wilkes Barre, Scranton, etc.)carrying full loads of lumber, shingles, and other contractor equipment. 3000lbs. of coal in the bed on coal runs. Never needed any more power than the 4.3 had. Sold it last year with 200k, never had anything other than minor maintenance problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back