Top 10 Vehicles that make it to 200,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, I wonder how they do that? Ha ha...

3-4 dipstick readings & 2 oil changes per year minimum and most of North America's fleet would be capable of that target

The article is more accurately titled "Cars Worth Fixing." When the transmission goes out in your 175K Metro you take it to the junkyard. When it goes out in your Yukon you take it to the transmission place.

Maybe more people are looking for a vehicle they can keep beyond the payments. This would only be a concern for people outside the rust belt and high humidity areas.

Today the average age of a passenger vehicle is 11.5 years and in 1995 it was 8.4 according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

I would bet that in the South West that average age might be a bit higher.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Where are the cars? They're all trucks!

Toyota Avalon is the only car on the list, aside from the non-truck list.

Originally Posted By: hatt
The article is more accurately titled "Cars Worth Fixing." When the transmission goes out in your 175K Metro you take it to the junkyard. When it goes out in your Yukon you take it to the transmission place.

My buddy's Metro made it close to 275k with almost none of the scheduled maintenance done lol...those little things were actually pretty tough!

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Where are the cars? They're all trucks!

I'm guessing it's because most of the list reflects the most common work/fleet vehicles, which are the most likely to be driven longer distances in shorter amounts of time.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
200K miles is not impressive.

500K and I'll be impressed if engine was never rebuilt.

When I was selling cars, we saw a truck with 700k on it. Guy was religious and conservative about maintenance. I did not believe the service techs, but they produced a binder of all the service records. It had a lot done to it, but it was never rebuilt. It was a Ford F250 with the 6.8 engine. I did see several 4.6 powered fords come in with 300 to 400k or more on the original engine.

In general, more people junk their 150k+ miles econo car instead of fixing them, but relatively speaking more spend money fixing their 150k+ miles luxury SUV instead of replacing them.

This doesn't mean the econo car is broken beyond repair or are less reliable.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
200K miles is not impressive.
500K and I'll be impressed if engine was never rebuilt.

When I was selling cars, we saw a truck with 700k on it. Guy was religious and conservative about maintenance. I did not believe the service techs, but they produced a binder of all the service records. It had a lot done to it, but it was never rebuilt. It was a Ford F250 with the 6.8 engine. I did see several 4.6 powered fords come in with 300 to 400k or more on the original engine.

Yep, I believe it no doubt that an F-250 can easily pass 500K miles.

Most people get rid of very good running econobox cause they are bored with it, not because it's unreliable.

The list is [censored]. It correlates with the raw numbers sold. In other words, it will be full of Fords, Chevys and Toyotas just due to volume.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
The list is [censored]. It correlates with the raw numbers sold. In other words, it will be full of Fords, Chevys and Toyotas just due to volume.

Correct.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Absolutely. Every day I see cars/trucks from the 60s on up being used as daily drivers. You do too in SoCal.

When we moved here from Rustelvania it was mind-blowing.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Maybe more people are looking for a vehicle they can keep beyond the payments. This would only be a concern for people outside the rust belt and high humidity areas.

Today the average age of a passenger vehicle is 11.5 years and in 1995 it was 8.4 according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

I sold my 1994 LS400 a month ago, it didn't have any engine/transmission work after 22 years and more than 370k miles.

My 2000 E430 is 16 years old now and 180+k miles. The S2000 is 12 years old but less than 60k miles.

The only cars that are less than 11.5 years old are 2006 Volvo V70 and 2014 Accord are owned by my daughters.

I tend to keep my cars until the repair cost a year was more than the car value.

PS My E430 never needed top off oil in 10-13k miles OCI's. The LS400 needed 1/2 quarts every 3-4k miles since new, no more and no less the last few years.

Last edited:
Well, in our immediate family:
1993 Mazda MX6 2.0L went 34x,xxx
1993 Nissan NX 1.6L at ~350,xxx
1997 4runner at 360,xxx
2000 Civic at 202,xxx
2006 TL at 235,xxx

that's the ones I can think of offhand. All on original trans / clutches too.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

This x1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back