STEWART-HAAS RACING TO SWITCH TO FORD IN 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to the prss conference now. Sounds like they will be running Roush/Yates engines like all the Fords and they will be making their chassis in house now.

"Ford" stickers and sheet metal, you mean.

NASCAR engines are, by requirement, something that no manufacturer makes or ever DID make. Even in the early 2000s when Dodge re-entered the fray, the engines were different from manufacturer to manufacturer and actually used Ford/Dodge/Chevy design components (even if they were from long-out-of-production engines like the Ford Windsor, Gen-1 SBC, and LA-series Chrysler). But in recent years the clamps have come down- starting by not letting Dodge use its bore-spacing advantage circa 2002 (the minimum stroke rule), and it just snowballed from there. All 3 'brands' of today's NASCAR engines all look roughly like a Ford smallblock (right down to all of them having a front-mounted distributor), with maybe a few Chevy-ish looking features down inside somewhere, maybe even a few Dodge ideas still lurking I don't know. There's nothing remotely Toyota about the Toyotas, in particular. The real differences come from who assembles them- and that's pretty much down to either Roush/Yates, Hendrick, or Gibbs.

Case in point: it says "Chevrolet" on the valve covers... but look at the distributor:

1.jpg

Hmmm.... and a "Toyota"

tundra-and-lightning-inline-6-photo-450614-s-original.jpg

And the one of the last carbureted "Dodge" NASCAR engines...

DodgeRace1.jpg

Fords, every last one of 'em.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The thing with Danica is she brings in massive sponsor dollars. Do you think GoDaddy or Nature's Bakery would be sponsoring Tony Stewart?

Yes I know that, but I got to agree with the King. A premium ride deserves a premium driver.

"If she'd have been a male, nobody would ever know if she'd showed up at a race track."

Danica Patrick will only win "if everybody else stayed home." Richard Petty

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Yes I know that, but I got to agree with the King. A premium ride deserves a premium driver.

"If she'd have been a male, nobody would ever know if she'd showed up at a race track."

Danica Patrick will only win "if everybody else stayed home." Richard Petty

This is what I have a hard time with. All the women up to Danica, (Janet Guthrie, Lyn St. James, Sarah Fisher, Patty Moise, Jennifer Jo Cobb, Katherine Legge), have not had very good equipment, and marginal crews and sponsorship. Danica has always had the best equipment, or near the best. She does not have the talent to do anything with it in a crowd. The only race she ever won was in Indy Car. And the only reason she won that was because Helio Castroneves ran out of gas. It's not like she could have out drove him.

I'm not trying to discredit her win. In racing a win is a win. You take them any way you can get them. She is a mediocre driver at best. Downright lousy in fact. She's a nice looking babe in a all male dominated sport. Her gender has gotten her where she is, not her talent.

I've been watching her since she came out of Toyota Atlantic with A.J. Almindinger in 2003. Her personality is rancid, as is her temperament. She's lucky she has gotten as far as she has. She should be counting her blessings. If a really good driver had been fortunate enough to have been blessed with that much good equipment, they could have done a lot more with it.

Now all they need to do is to trim the fat...Danica Patrick.

Doesn't she bring in a lot of sponsorship money? Perhaps they can just nickname her Pastor for the remainder of her career.

Taildragger: Danica is way too old to start in F1 now, and she doesn't even meet the basic requirements for a Super License. There are sufficient "unemployed" drivers out there who actually have a Super License and aren't 5 or 10 years past their prime.

The thing with Danica is she brings in massive sponsor dollars. Do you think GoDaddy or Nature's Bakery would be sponsoring Tony Stewart?

"If she'd have been a male, nobody would ever know if she'd showed up at a race track." Danica Patrick will only win "if everybody else stayed home." Richard Petty

Laughable...Would Brian Scott be in the Petty 44 if Daddy was not a multi millionaire? Menard in the 27?

Re: STEWART-HAAS RACING TO SWITCH TO FORD IN 2017 [Re: tenderloin]

OK, THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW THIS.

BY THE WAY, YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON.

Some more recent pictures. They use fuel injection and haven't used a distributor for a few years now.

True, but the engines are still the "NASCAR spec" more than the manufacturer's design. The older versions with the distributors just clarify how far from any one manufacturer's design they really are these days. I don't like it at all, I think they should require the use of production engines- at least block/head/crank/valves. Let the Coyotes fight the LSx, iForce, and if Dodge would play again, the Hemi. Don't allow forced-induction (so no Hellcats, SuperSnakes, or Z/06), but allow race-spec pistons, valve springs, rings, intake/exhaust, EFI/ignition,dry-sump oiling, and cam profiles. Go ahead and use stock displacements, they all (except Toy) have something between 6.0 and 6.4 liters right now anyway. Robert Yates once claimed that if they did that the OHC Fords would run away with the show, but I honestly don't think that's true anymore, especially if they kept the gearing rules that didn't let anyone spin over ~8000 RPM, which is what it would take for the OHC to really gain any advantage. There'd be a hiccup and *some* manufacturer would dominate for a bit (or conversely, someone's engine would constantly blow up at a certain type track), but pretty soon they'd all settle right back to 650-700 reliable horsepower and it would be interesting again.

And for heaven's sake, just eliminate all the aero spoilers & splitters at Daytona and Talledega instead of slapping on the d*** restrictor plates. They've got cars that have relatively little power but coast forever, so it becomes all about momentum and conserving energy around the track and nobody can execute a pass unless someone else makes a mistake. Sunday was one of the worst oval-track races I've ever seen... NOTHING in the way of on-track passing other than at a restart happened until the last quarter lap. It was more of a parade than F1 sometimes is.

Robert Yates once claimed that if they did that the OHC Fords would run away with the show, but I honestly don't think that's true anymore, especially if they kept the gearing rules that didn't let anyone spin over ~8000 RPM, which is what it would take for the OHC to really gain any advantage.) Sorry to tell you:440 Magnum, Buts it still true, The Dynos here dont lie... Thats why "NASCAR doesn't want Fords Modular motors playing in their sandbox"

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Re: STEWART-HAAS RACING TO SWITCH TO FORD IN 2017 [Re: tenderloin]

OK, THANKS FOR LETTING US KNOW THIS.

BY THE WAY, YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON.

Bored?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Some more recent pictures. They use fuel injection and haven't used a distributor for a few years now.

True, but the engines are still the "NASCAR spec" more than the manufacturer's design. The older versions with the distributors just clarify how far from any one manufacturer's design they really are these days. I don't like it at all, I think they should require the use of production engines- at least block/head/crank/valves. Let the Coyotes fight the LSx, iForce, and if Dodge would play again, the Hemi. Don't allow forced-induction (so no Hellcats, SuperSnakes, or Z/06), but allow race-spec pistons, valve springs, rings, intake/exhaust, EFI/ignition,dry-sump oiling, and cam profiles. Go ahead and use stock displacements, they all (except Toy) have something between 6.0 and 6.4 liters right now anyway. Robert Yates once claimed that if they did that the OHC Fords would run away with the show, but I honestly don't think that's true anymore, especially if they kept the gearing rules that didn't let anyone spin over ~8000 RPM, which is what it would take for the OHC to really gain any advantage. There'd be a hiccup and *some* manufacturer would dominate for a bit (or conversely, someone's engine would constantly blow up at a certain type track), but pretty soon they'd all settle right back to 650-700 reliable horsepower and it would be interesting again.

And for heaven's sake, just eliminate all the aero spoilers & splitters at Daytona and Talledega instead of slapping on the d*** restrictor plates. They've got cars that have relatively little power but coast forever, so it becomes all about momentum and conserving energy around the track and nobody can execute a pass unless someone else makes a mistake. Sunday was one of the worst oval-track races I've ever seen... NOTHING in the way of on-track passing other than at a restart happened until the last quarter lap. It was more of a parade than F1 sometimes is.

No what stunk up the show was JGR dominance and no other team and or manufacturer had a answer for it flat out plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back