Oil Analysis from 2014 Ford F550 6.7 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Just did a used oil analysis on my 2014 Ford F550 Powerstroke 6.7. I ended up trying Archoil 9100 this oil change. Miles on oil are 5,633 and 8 months. Total miles on Truck are 11,399.

Here are the results:

TIM: Archoil adds potassium, boron, and some sodium to the oil, so that's where those elements are from. We haven't found benefits from using it such as improved wear, but it doesn't seem to hurt either. Your new Power Stroke is wearing pretty well, with just iron on the higher side of averages (showing typical wear for oil run about 6,500 miles). That could be from residual wear-in, or it may be normal for this Power Stroke and the use it sees in your RV. The oil was in good shape with a strong TBN and no fuel contamination. Resample in 1 year/6,000 mi to start trends.

Universal Averages
ALUMINUM 8 12
CHROMIUM 2 2
IRON 63 32
COPPER 5 4
LEAD 1 0
TIN 0 1
MOLYBDENUM 41 29
NICKEL 0 1
MANGANESE 1 1
SILVER 1 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 1419 7
BORON 935 34
SILICON 11 7
SODIUM 11 7
CALCIUM 957 1666
MAGNESIUM 1168 511
PHOSPHORUS 1065 1020
ZINC 1340 1189
BARIUM 1 2

Values Should Be

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 70.1 66-78
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 12.98 11.9-15.3
Flashpoint in °F 470 >410
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0 0
Water % 0 Insolubles % 0.3 TBN 9.5 >1.0

Does anyone know where the Iron comes? It is a class C motorhome which is always hauling 17,000 ilbs+ all the time. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for the insights.

Best,

Tim

Formating got messed up. Oil is Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40. Have blackstone report...not sure how to attached PDF. Thanks.

Thanks Donald. Mileage is 95%+ highway/freeway mileage with regens every 500 miles. Just was curious if the Iron being higher than average mean't anything and why the ALUMINUM was lower than averages? Maybe too early to tell anything with the engine. Just interested in learning how all this works? I wish Blackstone would also post median values as well. Thanks to all.

My guess would would be the liners.

You've got the whole unit under a large load and those rings are under constant expansion pressure against the cylinder walls, the whole assembly is really working all the time.

It's still breaking in so I'd expect more slough off for a while and more wear than a pickup experiencing no load running then loaded running.

If it were mine I'd throw a filtermag on the filter and a gold plug on the sump and see what you catch at oil change time. You may be able to pull some of the really fine small stuff out of the stream this way and keep it from going round and round in your new parts.

UD

Last edited:
So...my numbers might trend differently vs a pick up that doesn't run under constant load.

Can those metals in the oil cause more wear? I've heard mixed opinions on magnetics, etc. Not sure what to understand on that.

Thanks guys.

As others have said, the cylinders are the source of the majority of the iron along with other rotating parts filling the balance. Here is are the numbers formatted:

Code:
Valvoline Premium Blue 5w40 Universal Averages

ALUMINUM 8 12

CHROMIUM 2 2

IRON 63 32

COPPER 5 4

LEAD 1 0

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 41 29

NICKEL 0 1

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 1 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1419 7

BORON 935 34

SILICON 11 7

SODIUM 11 7

CALCIUM 957 1666

MAGNESIUM 1168 511

PHOSPHORUS 1065 1020

ZINC 1340 1189

BARIUM 1 2

Values Should Be:

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 70.1 66-78

cStV iscosity @ 100°C 12.98 11.9-15.3

Flashpoint in °F 470 >410

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0 0

Water% 0
Insolubles% 0.3
TBN 9.5 >1.0

You already have a magnetic drain plug as its standard with the 6.7 and previous generation Ford diesels. You are still seeing break-in material as already noted, so no worries.

Constant load isn't much of a concern as your gearing is much higher vs. F350/F250 and also HP is reduced in your configuration vs. a pickup.

Your wear numbers are well within spec and your FE will reduce with subsequent OC's. There is really no need for an additive in the oil, as Blackstone mentioned its not shown to reduce wear and not hurt anything either, just your wallet.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
So...my numbers might trend differently vs a pick up that doesn't run under constant load.

Can those metals in the oil cause more wear? I've heard mixed opinions on magnetics, etc. Not sure what to understand on that.

Thanks guys.

Sure it will because the higher constant load = more wear.

The more stuff in your oil the greater potential for wear.

Its your huge investment your call.

Couple of magnets are the cheapest insurance you can get they "team up" with your filter to catch more and whatever they catch is capacity your filter retains between changes.

Even if you don't believe what they pull from the stream makes a substantive diffference ( I do especially over time) they are still a great diagnostic tool to see if you've got accelerated wear.

Thats what Id do if it were mine and its what I do to all the engines I actually care about and plan on rebuilding because they aren't throw aways. All the Marine engine builder use these on their mills as well as their personal vehicles.

UD

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Yes; they likely would. My Fe numbers are less than yours and I have about 1K miles less on my F-250 than you do (I have not towed yet):

Code:
Oil Type: RT6 Delo 400 LE MC

Oil Viscosity: 5W-40 5W-40 10W-30

Truck Mileage: 10,692 6,234 1,570

Oil Mileage: 4,458 4,664 1,570

Make-Up Oil: 0.0 0.0 0.0

Iron: 13 26 23

Thanks guys. I tried the Archoil 9100 mainly for the in between start protection as I don't run it every day. Starting to rethink that for sure. Thanks Uncle Dave for the info on the Filter Mag...2015PSD and roadrunner...do you run a filter mag as well on your powerstroke? Great stuff...thanks for sharing your knowledge and advice.

As has been suggested I wouldn't run any additives going forward.

I wouldn't drain the sump mid run to get them out, but I would steer clear of that in a new mill like yours.

I don't run anything but oil in any of my diesels - 2 sprinters and big and baby Cat.

Your factory drain plug mag while better than nothing is pretty weak - for 25 bones or so you can get a much stronger dealio.

All said congrats the rig sound pretty sweet!

Thanks UncleDave...will look into a filter mag. Just got a 5,000 pound tow car...so my next UOA will have an additional towing element to it. Thanks.

See my own stuff.....

Its just too expensive not to protect as best as I possibly can.

y6HccAm.jpg

nFB0ywO.jpg

Last edited:
The load isn't the reason for the higher wear numbers, but you are running quite a bit more rpm's at highway speed vs. a pickup. An example is my '15 as it has 3.31 rearend, so at 70 mph with 18" factory wheels my rpm's are roughly 1,600.

You can't compare a pickup to your motorhome for several reasons, one being reduced HP and another higher rearend gearing to allow you push a lot of wind down the highway, along with the extra weight.

Our marine diesels have a "power percent" gauge that allows us to see what percentage of power is actually being used. It is especially helpful when sizing a new propeller as the factory will tell you at what percentage you want to be at empty, or bollard pull. This way one can avoid over sizing the propeller and unduly over loading the engine when the boat is loaded. You may be able to obtain this info through a Scangauge II or similar device to see where you're at while driving down the highway vs. what a pickup would be at the same speed.

incremental RPMs do wear more but the load causes more wear than the RPM itself.

Take 2 trucks one with a 3:73 rear end and one with a 4:10 rear end- the one under the most load will start leaking down quicker every time.

I run a scan gauge II on my 5 speed sprinter. Very nice device.

UD

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
The load isn't the reason for the higher wear numbers, but you are running quite a bit more rpm's at highway speed vs. a pickup. An example is my '15 as it has 3.31 rearend, so at 70 mph with 18" factory wheels my rpm's are roughly 1,600.

You can't compare a pickup to your motorhome for several reasons, one being reduced HP and another higher rearend gearing to allow you push a lot of wind down the highway, along with the extra weight.

Our marine diesels have a "power percent" gauge that allows us to see what percentage of power is actually being used. It is especially helpful when sizing a new propeller as the factory will tell you at what percentage you want to be at empty, or bollard pull. This way one can avoid over sizing the propeller and unduly over loading the engine when the boat is loaded. You may be able to obtain this info through a Scangauge II or similar device to see where you're at while driving down the highway vs. what a pickup would be at the same speed.

The point I was attempting to make with the above post is just because one is moving a motorhome with more weight/wind resistance doesn't mean that the engine is that much more loaded vs. a pickup. Gearing differences make a huge difference in engine load at speed. Sure your motorhome engine is more loaded vs. an empty pickup, but its not as much as one would think.

My 6.7 is loaded every time its driven, either in the bed or pulling an equipment trailer, but again we really can't compare the two, even though they are the same engine there are several differences.

Your 6.7 is wearing just fine with Fe being the only elevated number, and I would attribute that to still break-in material as you don't even have 12,000 mi. yet. Even with FE being higher than most its still well within spec.

Roadrunner,

See your point. My truck has the highest gears and the detuned 6.7 with the single vane turbo...so different setup for sure. Excited to have a baseline for wear and engine health. Will check ScanGuage II variables for power percent...would be interested in how hard the motor is working in certain conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back