Bad coil pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looks like I've got a bad coil pack on the Sentra. Was driving her home today and it threw a code and ran/idled pretty rough. Felt like a misfire right off the bat. So went on YouTube and looked at how to troubleshoot coil packs via pulling it off the plug and see if the car tries to stall. I've narrowed it down to the coil pack furthest to the right closest to the oil cap. So my question is....Car has 230k on it and is a 2000 Nissan Sentra 1.8l. Do I just change one pack or should I change them all?

PS I changed the plugs about 2 1/2 years ago to the stock ngk's and will be changing them while I'm in there now regardless.

Going to go with an Hitachi coil for sure and plan on keeping the car until the frame rusts or the tranny gives out. Whichever comes first. Still have an AC leak that needs to be fixed. Had a post where the low pressure hose was leaking oil at the rubber to metal crimp fitting. Replaced that and thought I was good. Leaks out refrigerant over the course of two days. Have UV dye kit on the way for that. One thing at a time...So will probably go with the above suggestion on changing all four if that's what bitogers feel is best long term.

Yeah you got it... All 4. At least your car is WAY easier than mine to change them
smile.gif

I got a generic "ebay coil" for my camry. Old one ran fine but threw a CEL for some internal fault (not a misfire). New, $13 runs fine and no light.

Proper denso coil was $50. Nuts to that. I chucked the old coil in my trunk as a spare.

Here's what a driveability technician who I trust 1,000% told me in regards to replacing coilpacks: "If one fails, replace it. If another one fails, replace all of them."

Wanted to give an update. Replaced the faulty coil with a hitatchi and changed out the spark plugs with NGK's (my brother put them in so not sure of the specifics). In doing so the plastic harness broke. Right now the plastic harness is held together by electrical tape. I'm waiting on the 3 other coils to come in and have a harness pigtail on order. We also poured a capful of MMO in the spark plug holes for a couple hours and fogged up the neighborhood afterwards. Drove the car to work and so far so good this morning!

Do you know if you have a valve cover gasket leak? Often it happens on DOHC engines and it destroys the ignition coil.

Anyway, get a good price on one OE ignition coil.

I didn't see a valve cover gasket leak. However this was replaced as well. I saw a tiny bit of sludge but nothing that stuck out to be alarmed about. It was most likely due to age. The car is a 2000 with 230k miles on it and the coils are the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back