picking up a 2006 300c SRT8 (6.1 hemi), what oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting a first-gen chrysler 300C SRT8 for the longest time but I don't trust used cars for the most part. Specially performance cars..

Finally someone I know is selling theirs, it's been always garaged, dealer maintained and professionally detailed, not driven hard, and they had it since brand new, so I'm jumping on it... it looks like it has never been driven.

What would be a good oil for it? I live in Florida where temperatures go from 28 to 90 degrees and I do drive my cars hard, plus it has 135,000 miles.

I'm sure SteveSRT8 will chime in since he has a 300SRT8 and also lives in Florida, but I can pretty much tell you what he'll say: Factory fill was M1 0w40, and its still absolutely the best choice for that engine.

If you just hate Mobil, you could use Castrol 0w40, RP 0w40, Amsoil 0w40, Redline 5w40, or the Pennzoil SRT 0w40 that is factory fill in the current SRTs. You could even use an HDEO 5w40 like T6 and the engine wouldn't mind, but a passcar 0w40 is a better overall choice IMO.

Congrats, you'll love the beast.

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
I've been wanting a first-gen chrysler 300C SRT8 for the longest time but I don't trust used cars for the most part. Specially performance cars..

Finally someone I know is selling theirs, it's been always garaged, dealer maintained and professionally detailed, not driven hard, and they had it since brand new, so I'm jumping on it... it looks like it has never been driven.

What would be a good oil for it? I live in Florida where temperatures go from 28 to 90 degrees and I do drive my cars hard, plus it has 135,000 miles.

Heh. I was looking at an SRT8 Challenger as well as a 2015 STI- nice to know that there are other "cross shoppers from H*ll" around...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I'm sure SteveSRT8 will chime in since he has a 300SRT8 and also lives in Florida, but I can pretty much tell you what he'll say: Factory fill was M1 0w40, and its still absolutely the best choice for that engine.

If you just hate Mobil, you could use Castrol 0w40, RP 0w40, Amsoil 0w40, Redline 5w40, or the Pennzoil SRT 0w40 that is factory fill in the current SRTs. You could even use an HDEO 5w40 like T6 and the engine wouldn't mind, but a passcar 0w40 is a better overall choice IMO.

Congrats, you'll love the beast.

What he said! Personally I'd go for the Mobil 1 0W-40 or T6 5W-40.

Mobil 1 0w-40 gets the nod from me as well, it was the spec oil until the Chrysler/Mobil relationship ended due to Fiat.

I'm a little late to the party but Congratulations!

You'll find M1 0W-40 printed right on the filler cap. Track tested by me to over 300 degrees without any degradation at all. Note that 15W-50 is also allowed by TSB.

Any questions feel free to PM me. The cars are solid as a rock, tend to hold up very well...

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Heh. I was looking at an SRT8 Challenger as well as a 2015 STI- nice to know that there are other "cross shoppers from H*ll" around...
cheers3.gif

plan on keeping both!

woo 2 gas guzzlers!

Another vote for M1 0W-40, unless Auto Zones in your area happen to still have PU SRT 0W-40 left on clearance for $2 a quart.

I would also use Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 in your state, I live in CA. and that is my choice for oil my S2000. 8,200 redline and 120 hp per L. stock.

ROD

I have a 2010 Challenger SRT and have used both M1 0W40 and PUP 0W40 SRT. I have not done a UOA on either. I can tell no difference between the two and suspect both provide all the protection needed by the engine and hopefully then some. Both deliver the same oil pressure and both run at the same temp. I am not married to either oil but for me the nod goes to M1 simply because of easy availability and price.

I would love to use PUP 5W30 in my other cars calling for 5W30 but it is simply too hard to come by and it is well over priced online except for Walmart. However,PUP 5W30 at Walmart is typically out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back